• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2013

Just curious....What kind of minivan do you have? I have a 2002 ford Windstar that I does some pretty weird things.

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan, it is a great van but I don't think I want to take the chance driving it down to Florida next year!

Stichesgr8fan I am sorry for going off topic, I personally wouldn't want my kids on here telling people about our finances!

danielle79 said:
Stichesgr8fan I am sorry for going off topic, I personally wouldn't want my kids on here telling people about our finances!

I understand. But I've seen enough threads start down this path and end up being shut down. I want this thread to stay open for everyone to benefit from!

You do have a good point though. I would encourage posters to be cautious how much specific information you post about others' finances. If you choose to give your detailed numbers that is fine. But please be considerate of friends and family's privacy.

DOREEN1779 said:
Just curious....What kind of minivan do you have? I have a 2002 ford Windstar that I does some pretty weird things.

We have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, it's been one of the best vehicles I have ever had.

We have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, it's been one of the best vehicles I have ever had.

When I do look for another vehicle later this year or early next year, I am definately looking for another Dodge Caravan, I truly love my van! I obviously will be looking for something with lower miles and a newer model year but I must say once they started making the stow-n-go seats the comfort level has gone way down, we rented a new Town and Country this past summer to drive to NC to see my dad and I thought the seats were uncomfortable and the kid's seats in the back were even wose :(. The seats in my van are not stow-n-go and are super heavy and a pain in the rear to take in and out, but at least they are very comfortable for the very long drive to Orlando:drive:

I'm in! I have two cc totaling about $3500 that I want to say goodbye to. I'm using Dave Ramsey's debt snowball method while also building up an emergency fund. I am determined not to use my credit cards for anything this year. Good luck to everyone!

When I do look for another vehicle later this year or early next year, I am definately looking for another Dodge Caravan, I truly love my van! I obviously will be looking for something with lower miles and a newer model year but I must say once they started making the stow-n-go seats the comfort level has gone way down, we rented a new Town and Country this past summer to drive to NC to see my dad and I thought the seats were uncomfortable and the kid's seats in the back were even wose :(. The seats in my van are not stow-n-go and are super heavy and a pain in the rear to take in and out, but at least they are very comfortable for the very long drive to Orlando:drive:

Ours are Stow-n-Go and we love them, but then again, we really only use the front 2 seats, since we don't have kids. I haven't ridden in the back, but once, and I didn't have any problem. We almost always keep the third row down and it's great for travel. When other people have ridden with us, they haven't said they were uncomfortable. My husband does have some issue with his shoulder if he has driven for awhile. My seat is nice, I even sleep in it on the drive to Orlando, I have a pillow I bought at Ikea and it fits perfectly sort of around the side and back of my head otherwise I tend to et neck cramps because my head drops to one side

I'm in. We have a dept. store credit card, health care cc, and 2 interest free credit cards. The first has two different promotions--- part interest free until Nov. and the majority until August 2014. We also have several medical and dental bills from having a baby, dental procedures, surgery, etc... After next Friday, I hope to have the dept. store cc paid off, and 4 of the 6 medical bills. I have a plan on the amount I need to pay on the health care cc to pay it off in 6/9/12 months and hope to snowball and pay the amount to get it paid in at least 9 months. I'm trying to follow Dave Ramsey. It just feels like its one step forward and ten back!

I am so off track for January. I had some unexpected medical bills that I wanted to go ahead and get taken care of. I am hoping to be back on track by the first of February.

I just watched the "Maxed Out" movie on Netflix and it was really sad and confusing. I am very concerned about getting my family out of debt and doing smarter things with money, but when you look at the big picture of how bad the national debt is and how much each family is responsible for, it is overwhelming! Social Security and the pension my husband has through work look like they will not exist in 30 years when we want to retire. My grandmother worked her whole life and helped family financially for years and now can hardly keep her head above water, it frustrates me and makes me sad! It seems like it will never be enough, it's not enough to get yourself out of debt, help family get out of debt but now we have to get the country out of debt! I'm sorry movies like that make me feel so small and insignifigent.

danielle79 said:
I just watched the "Maxed Out" movie on Netflix and it was really sad and confusing. I am very concerned about getting my family out of debt and doing smarter things with money, but when you look at the big picture of how bad the national debt is and how much each family is responsible for, it is overwhelming! Social Security and the pension my husband has through work look like they will not exist in 30 years when we want to retire. My grandmother worked her whole life and helped family financially for years and now can hardly keep her head above water, it frustrates me and makes me sad! It seems like it will never be enough, it's not enough to get yourself out of debt, help family get out of debt but now we have to get the country out of debt! I'm sorry movies like that make me feel so small and insignifigent.

You are NOT small and insignificant! You are taking control of YOUR family and doing what you need to do for them if everyone did that we would not be in this mess....also we would be in a better position to give help to those who really need it. You be encouraged and stay on track. Yes the country AND the world is in a hot mess but busting debt will help your family. You can do it!!!

I have 3 mortgages on my house that total about 125% of the houses actual value (underwater). We also have a vehicle lease.

We really don't have a plan for debt dumping and we are just paying the debt monthly in accordance with the loan/lease documents.

My only thought is try and make an extra mortgage payment each year.

Thank you disneycrazi! I needed that, that movie made me feel really bad. Thanks for letting me know that I am doing the right thing by my family!

Got paid today and took care of bills this morning. I was able to pay off the Kohls card ($303.25) and paid $200 towards Sam's Club. Total owed on that was $717. I plan to send another $200 next payday, then pay it off the following one.

The next cc on the list is a small one too, about $750. One step at a time though, snowballing my way through.

Is it bad that I'm excited to do our taxes because we might get a small refund we can put toward CC's or baby?

No, It's not bad, I'm ready to get ours done, too. I'm dreading it, but I want it out of the way and I want to use ours to pay off some small medical bills that will be coming in shortly, put some in our emergency fund and savings.

No, It's not bad, I'm ready to get ours done, too. I'm dreading it, but I want it out of the way and I want to use ours to pay off some small medical bills that will be coming in shortly, put some in our emergency fund and savings.

I agree not bad at all, I don't mind getting ours done at all, we get a decent refund! Unfortunately we won't be using it towards debt this year I believe a new roof is in our summer future ( insert smiley gazing into a crystal ball!) I do think that I am using a new tax lady this year, I had many questions last year about the purchase of our first house that she could not answer and a couple years ago I had surgery and was suppose to be able to do something about lost wages, she also had no clue about this:confused3

Paid all the bills for the month today, so should have one more paycheck this month that can be put towards paying off the debt!

Way to go, sskem96! :banana:

Keep up the faith, arwood82!

Sometimes needs must come before debt.

I am in too!!!

I need to dumb debt so bad.

Currently we have about 10 credit cards all pretty low limits but all the low minimum payments aren't getting us any where. I have 2 unsecured loans out one is done in sept and the other the beginning of next year would like to pay off this year if possible.

We have one car payment at the moment and hope to keep it that way for at least this year.

I also have student loans but at this point they are my last priority..... need to get the rest of the stuff under control...

Vacations have always been a top priority for us as we know we can not get the time back with our children and want the memories so we always allow that in our budget....but we have talked about doing some closer to home....

I love this thread and plan on reading the rest of the post tomorrow night at work:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter