DEBATE: Why is Epcot the appearant focus of future expansion efforts?

Funny how it seems to work. You neglect and refuse to update an attraction like Horizons. Gradually less and less people go to see it. Then you can claim that Horizons doesn't attract anyone any more.

You can also neglect a whole theme park. Sure people don't go because of the 9-11 tragedy and the bad economy. But the overall neglect and lack of updates just makes the attendance even worse. See, no one goes there any more. Funny how that happens. :(

Here I go again...

Disney is truly letting their parks go to waste and then when the public starts to complain about them, they say it is because no one comes anymore. They tend to wait till the last minute to do rehabs and I feel that what they are doing here is very good. Epcot needs a lot of help. Glad to hear that it is taking shape!:smooth:

Evan :jester: haha!

"...build a living showcase that more people will talk about and come to look at than any other area in the world..."

--Walt Disney

EPCOT, for it has not yet been built. But rather a traditional theme park, with vague ideas and themes that 'attempt' to pretain to Walt's original vision, but which died with him, along with any will and ability to fight the board to construct his dream.

Epcot does appeal to the "younger" crowd. It has been our favorite for a long time. My DD and her friend are both 11.

I'll be excited to see a "new" country in Epcot. We enjoyed the MV as well, when it was there. Too bad they didn't keep something like that there. My DD enjoyed meeting the people from other countries and getting her name written in their language.

If I had 20 bucks for every person who answered me with "What dinosaur ride?" when asked if their kids liked the dinosaur ride at EPCOT, I would be a VERY rich woman right now.

I have lost count of the number of families I know who skipped EPCOT altogether because they were under the impression that there were no rides or shows there, "just those fake countries."
They go for Illuminations, but huge numbers of people visit that park without ever realizing that the "ball" has a ride inside of it. I've been stopped outside near TT numerous times by people who want to know if it is actually a ride; their curiousity is piqued by the joyous shrieks that can be heard from outside.

There is really no excuse for the lack of information and advertising for the family aspect of the park. Disney just doesn't push the park as a kid-friendly place. EPCOT has been my son's favorite park since before he turned 2. He just loves FW and can never get enough of it. At 5, he's made it a personal mission to make sure that his friends don't miss EPCOT when they visit WDW; he'll even tell parents that they *have* to go to EPCOT.

I remember the first time I went...I think it was 1989? Any way late 80's early 90's. We spent 2 hours in line for Spaceship Earth. And for years we made a point of avoiding it until last because of the long lines...now? You can walk on at any time.

No one expects any changes in the basic ridesystem but the displays need a bit more pizzazz.

30,000 guests is a rarity for any park but the MK nowadays. DAK was actually bringing in more guests than Epcot (and on some days Disney-MGM Studios during off peak times) as of late. Word of mouth about the great parade at DAK and the great shows (Lion King and Tarzan) are what the locals are going to see. And, it's better than driving to Sanford to see wild animals.

I see DAK as more of a "work in progress" than a "we need to fix it ASAP" kind of park. Epcot needs serious help. It's pretty sad when Pin Trading is the main reason Epcot has the guests that it has. While DAK isn't finished in any respect, Epcot is a complete park. The problem is that Epcot's attractions age way too quickly. Animals will always be animals. Technology and science are always changing.

With international attendance down and with Magic Kingdom's all over (Calif, Paris, Tokyo, soon Hong Kong and later mainland China and others?) with Studios in Paris -DAK and especially EPCOT have the potential to be a real drawing card to international visitors in offering something they cannot get closer to home. In building parks all over the world Disney is making the same mistake they have made over and over with the stores, the resorts, with Who Wants to be a Millionaire, etc...over saturation and cannibalizing their own market. There is only one Epcot. As they improve and add to it - they would be wise to do so with novel rides and attractions like Mission:Space -that can be experienced nowhere else. If they just add attractions that a Japanese person can see in Japan or an Englishman can hop on the train to see in Paris, the international market will continue to be a challenge for WDW.

Epcot has been neglected so long that people are starting to see no reason to go there.

Its that simple.

It doesn't need new attractions at a faster rate just because parts of it are based on science. But it does need new attractions at a rate that keeps families wanting to come back.

The park's concept isn't the problem. Nobody complained about the concept when the park was being properly maintained and updated.

I'm a thrill ride person ... but I enjoyed the Epcot center 10 years ago better than the Crap what it is today..... Captain Eo... lots better than Honey I shunk Disney's Cash flow Eisner.... World of Motion lots better than Crap Track........ I liked Horizons ..... but hopely the Space thing will be better.......... I liked the Energy ride lots better before Ellan turned the dino's gay in jepordy.... don't let me get started on the figment ride... they should add a ride in wonders of Life how Eisner is a virus and is killing Disney... at least he has not messed up the countries yet....

Living with the Land - a unhappy boring version of the land... no happy songs no John Denver......

The Living Seas - turned into a dirty fish bowl

Space ship Earth - still a great ride

The music is one of the things I miss the most about the "old" Epcot. Why exactly are loud crashes and booms better than catchy tunes that make you smile?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter