DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

I asked about pay, my boss asked me what I wanted. When I told him he actually laughed.
Did he laugh in the way that meant "no no young man, we think are worth way more than the figure you are suggesting"?
I also asked if I could count the two months I've already worked here as a temp, you know, time served, and he said, "Nope, they won't do that." Oh well, I tried.
This isn't allowed over here. Time served as a temp counts towards vacation time, pension and bonus, and is all backdated. One of the benefits those of us on the "blue collar" side of the political thinking spectrum are pretty convinced is gonna disappear once we leave the EU, along with maternity leave, overtime, 35 hour weeks and suchlike.

Good luck in the negotiations there anyway. I won't jinx it, but it looks like you have a pretty good swing.

morning. Lord, it's early.

Hey, Dads! So an update on my job situation: I've had an informal interview yesterday right after lunch, and I was led to believe that they aren't going to consider anyone else until they hear from me that I still want the job. When I mentioned this to the wife after work, she asked me if I said yes, and I said, "Not yet, don't want to seem too desperate or eager" She didn't like that answer, but that's how I've always done it...make them want me more. Don't know the time frame on getting the job, but I was under the impression that if/when I say "Yes, I'm still interested." it'll happen quickly...unless they decide to play games and hold off. I was told that they wanted to add another person to the department (on top of adding me) next February, so I would think this could happen in the next two weeks
Congrats! Don't settle for the first pay offer. Go get 'em!

Happy Friday and best wishes on the job front @CapeCodTenor .

Somewhat of an update on my job situation.

I don't think I publicized it here, but the job I thought was going to be fantastic that I moved to in June has not been. It was more money, stock options and work from home, so it sounded too good to be true...it was! The position I interviewed for (and qualified to do) and what I'm being asked to do are so vastly different, I've been miserable. I enjoy learning new things, but when 95% (and that's conservative) is something I've never touched before and there's an expectation I'll just learn it all with no guidance or training, it makes for an untenable situation.

Had a phone interview with a position at Disney on Monday. I thought it went well, but I haven't heard anything back.
Had an actual interview on Wednesday with a different company and it went very well. Realized I hadn't asked about the salary, so I called back and found out they liked me enough they were putting together an offer. Said I'd hear something from HR yesterday or today. It wasn't yesterday, so hopefully today.
Have a phone (video) interview with another place on Tuesday.
Also have an application in with Kennedy Space Center and a former co-worker recommended me for a job where he works.

So, suffice it to say, I will be having a new job, it's just a question of where and how soon. Only bad part is this might interfere with my time available for DDCC8.

Last edited:
Great to see you around these parts again - welcome back & cheers!
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah... Captain Oblivious here! Oh wait... that name's taken (@Captain_Oblivious ). lol.

May need to elaborate there Chief as not sure hes been here since DW became your new boss
:scratchin I missed something here....

you're the one who opened it! When you came in!!

It was open when I got here! I swear :rolleyes1

And here's a funny story. Drove 4.5 hours for a night stay and meeting tomorrow. I drove around the dark side of the mountains and there is still snow. When I get to the hotel and get my room, the door won't open, so the lady gets the rubber mallet, walks to the door, gives it a wack, and now I'm in. I think I hear banjos driving in, so after a quick beer run, I'm hiding inside.

::wave: Don. Good to see you by this way, and glad to hear Emma is doing well. My oldest is 17 and in that sputtering to launch phase. She has the job, but doesn't want to put in a lot of effort at home. I'm hoping Prince Charming will marry her and she can move out. :scared1: :lmao:

Norm! Good to see you, too. Sorry to hear about the oldest is sputtering. Seems to be happening in a lot of households these days. Mt DD on the other hand is ready to move out and get a full time job! 😅 She's always had a strong work ethic, though. Hope yours gets out of low gear soon! Or Prince Charming does show up :rotfl2:

I don't think I publicized it here, but the job I thought was going to be fantastic that I moved to in June has not been. It was more money, stock options and work from home, so it sounded too good to be true...it was! The position I interviewed for (and qualified to do) and what I'm being asked to do are so vastly different, I've been miserable. I enjoy learning new things, but when 95% (and that's conservative) is something I've never touched before and there's an expectation I'll just learn it all with no guidance or training, it makes for an untenable situation.

Had a phone interview with a position at Disney on Monday. I thought it went well, but I haven't heard anything back.
Had an actual interview on Wednesday with a different company and it went very well. Realized I hadn't asked about the salary, so I called back and found out they liked me enough they were putting together an offer. Said I'd hear something from HR yesterday or today. It wasn't yesterday, so hopefully today.
Also have an application in with Kennedy Space Center and a former co-worker recommended me for a job where he works.

So, suffice it to say, I will be having a new job, it's just a question of where and how soon. Only bad part is this might interfere with my time available for DDCC8.

Wow... that's a lot right there. Praying the right door opens up for you this time around!

Hey, Dads! So an update on my job situation: I've had an informal interview yesterday right after lunch, and I was led to believe that they aren't going to consider anyone else until they hear from me that I still want the job. When I mentioned this to the wife after work, she asked me if I said yes, and I said, "Not yet, don't want to seem too desperate or eager" She didn't like that answer, but that's how I've always done it...make them want me more. Don't know the time frame on getting the job, but I was under the impression that if/when I say "Yes, I'm still interested." it'll happen quickly...unless they decide to play games and hold off. I was told that they wanted to add another person to the department (on top of adding me) next February, so I would think this could happen in the next two weeks. Keep everyone posted.

Sounds like a winner here! Benefits... always hit 'em with more benefits. lol.

TGIF dads!
only new development here is that I booked our flights for next years vacation. we will be going from august 2nd through the 10th.now to decide where to stay and such,wait for seasonal offers to drop etc...might explore renting dvc points.

TGIF indeed! Congrats on the flight booking! party: Commence the spreadsheet creation for accommodations and such. lol

Our next vacation trip is one that was not expected and certainly did not think we would be taking before DD got out of high school. This past summer we had good friends of ours move back to Hawaii. He is in the hotel business and landed a great job at Grand Wailea on Maui. They invited us out to visit them any time... and my DW took them up on the offer! We'll be there on Maui 12/30 - 1/8. First time in Hawaii for any of us, so should be fun. Wanted to stay a little longer, but my work schedule restricted the dates. DD is excited because she'll be celebrating her 17th birthday there. Fun times!

Morning all.

A little more snow overnight but it has warmed up and is suppose to be raining later today. Really feeling the absence of high school basketball today. DS's former team is hosting their big tournament this weekend and it's the first time in awhile we haven't been involved. Might have to take in a game later today.

Travelling to the north shore on Sunday for another volleyball tournament, it's been a lot of fun coaching club ball again.

Speaking of flights, we booked our for an upcoming cruise. The cruise is leaving from Port Everglades but we are flying in and out of MCO, pricing just worked out way better. The plan is to rent a car and drive back and forth. we even picked up another Dis Dad as a passenger on the way back. Mini Disdad meet in the cruise if anyone wants to join in.

Good luck Doc. Is the Space Center job an astronaut position?

TGIF dads!
only new development here is that I booked our flights for next years vacation. we will be going from august 2nd through the 10th.now to decide where to stay and such,wait for seasonal offers to drop etc...might explore renting dvc points.
If you want to PM me...I've rented points to a couple of the guys here and will possibly be this coming year also.

Our next vacation trip is one that was not expected and certainly did not think we would be taking before DD got out of high school. This past summer we had good friends of ours move back to Hawaii. He is in the hotel business and landed a great job at Grand Wailea on Maui. They invited us out to visit them any time... and my DW took them up on the offer! We'll be there on Maui 12/30 - 1/8. First time in Hawaii for any of us, so should be fun. Wanted to stay a little longer, but my work schedule restricted the dates. DD is excited because she'll be celebrating her 17th birthday there. Fun times!
I obviously have the wrong friends. Congrats! Sounds like fun.
Hawaii is one of only 4 states I haven't been in. The other three are in the NE (ME, VT, NH).

Whoa! Good luck on that one! What's the position? Or don't you know, yet?
That sounds really promising.
You got feelers out all over the place!
Knew about that one. That'd be a cool one. ::yes::
I booked our flights for next years vacation.
Hey! Congrats!
He is in the hotel business and landed a great job at Grand Wailea on Maui. They invited us out to visit them any time... and my DW took them up on the offer! We'll be there on Maui 12/30 - 1/8. First time in Hawaii for any of us, so should be fun.
Nice!
A little more snow overnight but it has warmed up and is suppose to be raining later today.
That's our forecast too. Weird weather.
Speaking of flights, we booked our for an upcoming cruise.
Congrats to you too!
Mini Disdad meet in the cruise if anyone wants to join in.
When?
Hawaii is one of only 4 states I haven't been in. The other three are in the NE (ME, VT, NH).
I've been there... and to most of the other States. Alaska gets knocked off the list in the spring. I should do a pin map like Mark does.

Good luck Doc. Is the Space Center job an astronaut position?
:lmao:
No. :sad: That would be cool, but I'm definitely not qualified for that.

He's definitely going up in the world.
Ba dump bump. Psssh!

Whoa! Good luck on that one! What's the position? Or don't you know, yet?
Site reliability engineer. It would be working with the systems that support all the apps. I wouldn't control whether the apps suck or not, but to ensure the systems they run on stay up.

That sounds really promising.
Very promising. Just got the initial offer letter. I say initial because I'll now be negotiating better salary or time off or both.

You got feelers out all over the place!
::yes:: The sadness or frustration in my current position is strong with this one.

Knew about that one. That'd be a cool one. ::yes::
It would be. Haven't heard anything yet, but it was a good fit so I'm hoping they're just slow. On the other hand, the one I got the offer for is a bit closer and a good fit as well, so may be a moot point. Always good to have multiple options, though.

Feb 29th Carnival Magic.

Randall, Brian Blatt and myself.
Dang. Don't know if I can swing that one. Since I'll be taking time off for DDCC8 (as much as I'll be able), that might be too soon. We'll see.

Top O the Mornin Dads and very happy Friday! DW going out tonight with some friends so bach'n it tonight and looking forward to just some down time. Fall leaf duty and Christmas decorating this weekend around some family in from out of town. Enjoy the weekend.
Evening fellas. Made it home safe from Aulani. Since I won’t be back to work until Monday, it’s a bit of whiskey and then a bit of whatever else is left.

Disney+ was fantastic on the plane. Downloaded a bunch of stuff for the boy and the Mrs, plus some stuff for me, and it made the 5 hours go by real quick. Happy to say that I’m really enjoying Disney+ and the Disney shareholder in me enjoys it more.
Sounds like you had a good trip. We are heading to Aulani next June for first time and as a fan and shareholder am very pleased with Disney+
Hey, Dads! So an update on my job situation: I've had an informal interview yesterday right after lunch, and I was led to believe that they aren't going to consider anyone else until they hear from me that I still want the job. When I mentioned this to the wife after work, she asked me if I said yes, and I said, "Not yet, don't want to seem too desperate or eager" She didn't like that answer, but that's how I've always done it...make them want me more. Don't know the time frame on getting the job, but I was under the impression that if/when I say "Yes, I'm still interested." it'll happen quickly...unless they decide to play games and hold off. I was told that they wanted to add another person to the department (on top of adding me) next February, so I would think this could happen in the next two weeks. Keep everyone posted.

Good luck to you both! Hope things work out in your favor.
TGIF dads!
Good deal! We will be there for a bit during that window
:scratchin I missed something here....
Randall retired and now works for the Mrs. Ya know, making her lunch to take to work, laundry, random beer hands, Geek Squad work, Disney+ ........ 8-)
Really feeling the absence of high school basketball today. DS's former team is hosting their big tournament this weekend and it's the first time in awhile we haven't been involved. Might have to take in a game later today.

Travelling to the north shore on Sunday for another volleyball tournament, it's been a lot of fun coaching club ball again.
Hang in there it will get better over time. Go enjoy a game or two this weekend, any chance DS is around to go with you?

Sounds like you had a good trip. We are heading to Aulani next June for first time and as a fan and shareholder am very pleased with Disney+

If the Grand Villa isn’t booked, they will do a tour of it. We toured it as part of a DVC update. It sleeps 12 and has the whole south side of the 10th Floor. Here’s the view from the deck:

Did he laugh in the way that meant "no no young man, we think are worth way more than the figure you are suggesting"?

This isn't allowed over here. Time served as a temp counts towards vacation time, pension and bonus, and is all backdated. One of the benefits those of us on the "blue collar" side of the political thinking spectrum are pretty convinced is gonna disappear once we leave the EU, along with maternity leave, overtime, 35 hour weeks and suchlike.

Good luck in the negotiations there anyway. I won't jinx it, but it looks like you have a pretty good swing.

I wish it was laughing because I was worth more, which I am. Actually, with more than 20 years in the legal field, the last 13 as a specialized paralegal, this job is a bit of a step down, I don't have a problem doing it, but it is a step down. So, I am worth more. What I tossed out as a salary I was told was at the high end...meaning, that's the max pay. So, this isn't a job I'll keep for life. It's more of a shoulder job, something to hold me over until I get that perfect job...if such a thing exists. :teeth:

Congrats! Don't settle for the first pay offer. Go get 'em!

Oh I won't settle. I told my boss that I know they are paying more for me than what I'm being paid because they are paying the temp agency. So, they can afford to pay me a bit more than the bottom dollar amount.

Sounds like things are going good. Good luck.

TGIF dads!

Booking flights always puts a warm fuzzy feeling in your stomach, doesn't it?

Sounds like a winner here! Benefits... always hit 'em with more benefits. lol.

I'm going to try and get what I can, though I'll admit I've enjoyed the insurance I had to get through MassHealth...it'll be hard to beat.

Good luck to you both! Hope things work out in your favor.
Thanks!

Good Luck Doc! Sorry about your current job. I'm rooting for Disney or KSC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!