DD6 wants REAL guitar--any suggestions?

miatamel

DIS Veteran
The only thing DD6 has asked Santa Babe for is a "rill" guitar. I'm a piano person myself so know nothing about guitars but have hunted until I'm sick of hunting for the right one! I thought I had it pegged until she drew what she wanted this week and it was a "rock and roll" guitar--apparently an electric cutaway! So do I start her on an electric or have Santa disappoint her with an acoustic? I hate to put alot of money in one since I don't know how serious she is or if she just wants to pretend to be a rock star and famous. I like the Luna brands and Daisy Rocks, but again, I don't know at this point if I'm getting what I like vs. what she wants vs. what she needs.
Any input would be GREAT!

start with a half size acoustic, once you get the electric and the amp and everything else she will need it'll be a lot more if she doesn't stick with it.

Also get her lessons I was self taught and gave up I was so frusterated lol

I would shoot for a USED electric. I saw one at a local guitar shop for 50 bucks. Daisy rock ones are a bit pricey but there a darn good brand. I know I want one. my sister (now 7) got a guitar at age 5 to be "Just like Jenny"

I wouldn't start her out with electric for her first "real" guitar.

Have you checked out these
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2841367

I play acoustic and started when I was 8- at 6 I don't think she really will have the patience for the practice it takes.

Gibson is my favorite real guitar maker. If you wait until 8 for the real one you would go full size.

My DS9 saved up last year to buy his own electric guitar. We bought it at Target. I think it was about $75 on sale for around $60. It came with the amp too. He still loves it.:love:

When our son was 5 we got him a guitar through JCPenny.com and it lasted a long time and sounded pretty good too. It was not an electric guitar however.

when my oldest was five, he wanted an electric guitar. We bought him an acoustic, not sure of the brand, but we bought it from a music shop, for around $85. We signed him up for lessons. Every time he went, he pointed out all of the electric guitars he would rather have.

He never picked up the acoustic, just because he wanted electric so much.

Of course, he's a stubborn kid. :)

But, my gut says, if she wants electric, get her electric.

Don't buy a guitar brand new what ever you decide. Look in a pawn shop, flea market etc. The neck size for what is comfortable for her will change as she grows. If you can try to talk her into a classic nylon string guitar.

Actually - since you asked for suggestions - I would suggest telling her 'no', at least for this year. I've never met a six year old yet that had the attention span and dedication required to learn guitar. Or the dexterity. Does she have any idea how bad it's gonna hurt her fingers when she presses down those strings to play a chord? Let me tell you, it hurts a lot! At six, she most likely has no idea that she won't be able to play it when she first takes it out of the box. You might try taking her to a music store where she can try one out. When she realizes how hard it is, she might just change her mind and save you the money and frustration. Just a thought...

ditto, on the skip that present thing.
waste of money in my opinion.
I am self taught and yes its hard. guitar especially is hard.
my own son says he wants to learn (he is 9), but i refuse to start him yet
I have a little play around guitar for him, and when he shows the
true interest and drive to learn i will be happy to have a music buddy.

better off if you insist, spending the money on music lessons,
ie. piano, usually done on keyboards these days
and trust me, pressing keyboards is a lot easier than twisting into chords on a guitar.
also gives a better understanding of music so that when the hands are big and strong enough, they will be able to move right into guitar.
(same instrument really)

My 7.5 DS wants an electric guitar for Christmas too. I picked one up at Target for $100 but after looking at it decided it was too big for him and am not sure he will play with it or not. I ended up buying him the "Power Tour" guitar at Amazon for $20 yesterday. It looks fun and it won't be a big deal if he doesn't play with it much.

Amy

I am not sure about guitars, but most music shops rent band-type instruments. Maybe you can rent a guitar, and if she doesn't show interest/dedication, take it back. I would not suggest getting her an acoustic if she wants an electric, unless you sit down and have a conversation about how if she is dedicated with it then someday she can have an electric.

Actually - since you asked for suggestions - I would suggest telling her 'no', at least for this year. I've never met a six year old yet that had the attention span and dedication required to learn guitar. Or the dexterity. Does she have any idea how bad it's gonna hurt her fingers when she presses down those strings to play a chord? Let me tell you, it hurts a lot! At six, she most likely has no idea that she won't be able to play it when she first takes it out of the box. You might try taking her to a music store where she can try one out. When she realizes how hard it is, she might just change her mind and save you the money and frustration. Just a thought...

I started playing the mandolin and banjo at the age of six.. the mandolin hurt my fingers bad, but I was encouraged to keep on playing, and it would get better.

Anyway, point is, I still play the mandolin. yes, it hurt, but, it doesn't hurt forever. The more you play the less it hurts.

If a child truly wants to play, and they have role models that are also playing, they will play. I had my grandfather, encouraging me all the time. He still does, to this day.

Even though my DS didn't like his lessons at the age of five, all three of my boys still love picking up and playing the guitar we bought him years ago. I don't regret buying it for him at all. Musical instruments are a wonderful gift.

Well said, Plant lady!
Lots of kids don't give up on their passions because of pain.

My DS (10) plays guitar and he started on a mini strat at the age of 6. It has a smaller neck so it isn't uncomfortable for him to play. My husband is an avid guitar player and this is what he decided to buy my son when he first showed interest in playing.

You can find the mini strat at Guitar Center or any guitar store for around $100.00. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar-102084118-i1146336.gc

I think you can find a pretty inexpensive amp to go along with it.

Hope this helps..

Ah the blisters. Yes the steel strings are rough. I started with them as my teacher would only teach on steel strings(Mr. Tanico still remember him 30+ years later.

I completely disagree with those who say that this age is not ready for lessons.

Why do I disagree? From the experience I have had with my daughter. She has played since she was 4 (she's now 9). While she is now great prodigy, I think it has been a helpful 'side education'.

As far as what guitar, I would go electric if that is what interests her. My daughter started on a 1/2 size acoustic and then got her first electric after playing for 1 year. She now loves it and really doesn't care much for the acoustic. Anyhow, at 9 she still plays a small version (daisy rock, actually). So if she sticks with it, she should have it for quite a while. There is no way her little hands could play a full size for a few more years.

Hope that is in someway helpful!

you can get beginners package guitar sets. you can look at musiciansfriend.com or guitar center. Many stores like BJ's and Walmart also carry these. My son started with a Fender package that is a lower end guitar and amp,but good enough to start. If she gets more interested after a few years, which should include lessons, then you can upgrade to better then.

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. Only problem is, they are all over the map! And I'm so wishy washy I still don't know what to do! I do have reservations about the gift, but since it is the ONLY thing she has asked Santa for, and since this is a child that doesn't ask for much and get indulged throughout the year, and since I want her to continue believing for a few more years, I decided to go ahead. I honestly don't think it's a love for music driving her, it's a love for stage and some kind of latent desire to be famous! I have talked with her about the need for lessons and since I am profoundly left handed and she is right handed I wouldn't be able to help her much blah blah and she seems to get it. But, that being said, I didn't know about the pain with the chords and she really might not want to continue through that. She's a tomboy, but she's never had much dealings with pain! There is a beautiful Luna guitar (made by girls for girls) with a mermaid on it for only $69 that's gotten good reviews and I don't mind spending that. There is also a petite electric made by luna, pink, for $119, w/out amp. I have in my cart at Amazon a Daisy Rock acoustic starter package with purple guitar (a color she requested--along with blue or green) and tuner, strap, gig bag, decals etc for a pricey $223. I keep thinking if she didn't keep it up I'd just pick it up as I read music and enjoy it. But like I said I'm all over the map--having acoustic in my cart at musiciansfriend.com; electric in cart at music123 and the starter pack at Amazon! I just can't seem to hit the "buy" button in any of them because none of them feel right. Somebody convince me!! Am I right in that if she gets electric it HAS to be plugged in to hear? I would think that would make her less mobile and not work well for her?
Signed,
Charlie Brown! (wishy washy)

First of all, I am sure that you will not regret going ahead with buying the guitar.

Chords will hurt if she plays a ton right away. I am guessing that that will not be the case. Being only 6, she will probably get introduced to the chords and will not be obsessing with them to the point of severe pain. Just guessing though.

As I mentioned before, my DD started lessons at 4. Getting into more detail, I took lessons with her (1/2 hour private lessons) so I could help her along and know what she was doing. The reason I point this out is, I am a left hander. I learned to play the guitar the 'right handed' way though. It actually seemed to make more sense, since I consider the fret hand the more difficult (vs. the strumming hand) and so playing right handed really made more sense.

Also wanted to add, you can always get a mini amp if you decide to go electric. Little girls being little girls, the cute little amps may just appeal to her, you can get them for less than $40 and they will provide enough sound for her.

Hope some of this made sense!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter