DD6 wants REAL guitar--any suggestions?

Is there any chance that she would be happy with an I Can Play guitar? I got one for DS-- he wants a rock n roll guitar. They come in purple, and they have a computer program that teaches the kids which button to push to play real music. Plus, they're more reasonable than investing in a whole system. If she likes that, maybe Santa will get her the real thing next year (and you'll have time to save for it!)

When I was about that same age, I too asked Santa for a guitar. Well, I got one, but to my ultimate frustration, I never was given lessons and I was not musically inclined enough to figure it out for myself. So, while I would strum it now and then and wish that I knew how to make music with it, it never happened. I still wish that my parents had supported me more in that pursuit.

Of course, these are the same parental units that gave me the telephone that I asked for as a gift for my 16th birthday, but never installed a telephone line in my room where I could use it.

Sometimes, my parents just sucked. Maggie

When I was about that same age, I too asked Santa for a guitar. Well, I got one, but to my ultimate frustration, I never was given lessons and I was not musically inclined enough to figure it out for myself. So, while I would strum it now and then and wish that I knew how to make music with it, it never happened. I still wish that my parents had supported me more in that pursuit.

Of course, these are the same parental units that gave me the telephone that I asked for as a gift for my 16th birthday, but never installed a telephone line in my room where I could use it.

Seriously?! A phone without a line? That really takes the cake-sorry for that not so fond memory.

Target has the Power Tour Electric Guitar on sale this week for $44.99 plus you get a $10 Target gift card when you purchase it! They also have the amp on sale for $24.99. I would have a hard time spending more than that until she is a little bit older and shows a stronger interest/commitment to it.

My sister bought my nephew a nice guitar from a pawn shop last year for $40. That is a good place to look for one as well.

Target has the Power Tour Electric Guitar on sale this week for $44.99 plus you get a $10 Target gift card when you purchase it! They also have the amp on sale for $24.99. I would have a hard time spending more than that until she is a little bit older and shows a stronger interest/commitment to it.

My sister bought my nephew a nice guitar from a pawn shop last year for $40. That is a good place to look for one as well.

I just looked this up and it said for ages 10-15. Do you think this could work for a six year old? OKAY, WAIT! I just read this further-I'm on dialup and it takes forever for a picture to load (it still hasn't)--the reviewer just said it doesn't have strings??? I'm not sure, sounded good until then. Might seem more like a toy??

And is the I Can Play Guitar a good thing? Or is it really just a toy? (I just got her to define a "rill" guitar as she specified she didn't want a toy!)

And another question--if I get her a real electric guitar, do you HAVE to have an amp to hear/play it?

I've got to either pee or get off the pot, if you know what I mean, or it won't get here by Christmas!! (I'm in a rural area--no Target within 2 hours and no mall within 40)

There is a beautiful Luna guitar (made by girls for girls) with a mermaid on it for only $69 that's gotten good reviews and I don't mind spending that. There is also a petite electric made by luna, pink, for $119, w/out amp. Signed,
Charlie Brown! (wishy washy)

Can you tell me where you found the Luna for $69??

Thanks
Alisha

I am so glad you asked this question!!! My dd is going to be 7 next month, and has been begging for a real guitar for almost 2 years. This year it is the ONLY thing (like your dd) that she has asked Santa for! I told her that IF Santa does bring her one, she will HAVE to take lessons -- which she actually agrees to and really wants to! She has a 10 yr old girl cousin who has been playing for about 2 years now, and loves it - so i think she looks up to her alot.

I too, have been hunting the local shops - figured Acoustic would be the better starting road - but now, i am going to check into all these sites you have posted.. LOL, My niece started with Acoustic, and just recently bought herself an electric and amp.
What ever happened to Barbies????? LOL

I am going to be following your answers - off to investigate these other sites.. LOL

BTW - does anyone know what the size in inches is for a 3/4 size guitar?

I don't know..lol.. My dd is about 48", and i thought i was told she should be in a 3/4 size.. but some sites are confusing when you are trying to figure out what size the guitar is..
I saw a Carlo Robelli Carly 3/4 size kit for 90.60 on Amazon, but i don't know if the quality is ok.. i like the Daisy Rock Wildwood series, but the prices are double.. I mean, i would really like to stay under $100 - if she sticks with it, i will upgrade in a year or so.. i am losing my mind here..

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A CHEAP GUITAR FOR YOUR CHILD!!!!!

We bought one for DS5 (I believe it was a First Act), and when I was tuning it (I played several instruments through school, and know what I am doing),a string snapped and sliced my finger open. I couldn't imagine the damage it would have done to my eye, or a little child's finger. The guitar we bought was a piece of junk. If you decide to buy a guitar, please take the suggestions of fellow posters of higher quality, yet smaller, instruments.

I don't know..lol.. My dd is about 48", and i thought i was told she should be in a 3/4 size.. but some sites are confusing when you are trying to figure out what size the guitar is..
I saw a Carlo Robelli Carly 3/4 size kit for 90.60 on Amazon, but i don't know if the quality is ok.. i like the Daisy Rock Wildwood series, but the prices are double.. I mean, i would really like to stay under $100 - if she sticks with it, i will upgrade in a year or so.. i am losing my mind here..

I don't know much, but here's what I know. My daughter has played a 3/4 size since she was somewhere around 4ft and still plays it at 4' 9".
I don't have first hand experience with the Daisy Rock acoustics, but we do have an electric from them and it's has been great. As you know, it's all about the cuteness when it comes to girls, so my daughter got a butterfly guitar from Santa 2 years ago. The guys at the guitar shop where she takes lessons were surprised that is was not just 'cute' but a pretty good guitar too.

I believe that all the above mentioned guitars are of a good quality.. it is just a matter of "names" and "prettiness" i think.. The acoustic that was recommened to me by a large music store near me was 69.00 - which i was going to be getting tomorrow, but it is just plain wood - if i could find a comparible pink one, life would be great. LOL ;)

Seriously?! A phone without a line? That really takes the cake-sorry for that not so fond memory.

Yep, it's no lie. There still isn't a phone line in my old room. I'm 40 now. I got a white princess phone that I finally got to hook up when I got to college. Maggie

I just looked this up and it said for ages 10-15. Do you think this could work for a six year old? OKAY, WAIT! I just read this further-I'm on dialup and it takes forever for a picture to load (it still hasn't)--the reviewer just said it doesn't have strings??? I'm not sure, sounded good until then. Might seem more like a toy??

And is the I Can Play Guitar a good thing? Or is it really just a toy? (I just got her to define a "rill" guitar as she specified she didn't want a toy!)

And another question--if I get her a real electric guitar, do you HAVE to have an amp to hear/play it?

I've got to either pee or get off the pot, if you know what I mean, or it won't get here by Christmas!! (I'm in a rural area--no Target within 2 hours and no mall within 40)

I'm really not sure. Thankflly a guitar isn't on my boys list this year! I did see the guitar I mentioned earlier at Walmart tonight for $25!!!

HayGan, While i am sure the guitar toy that you mentioned is ok -- it is just that -- a toy. If the OP's dd wants a genuine real guitar - she is better off buying one. I had gotten my dd a toy guitar either last Christmas or the one before, and it just didn't do it for her.. now she wants the real thing. ;)

I called my music store yesterday - after all this discussion, and bascially they told me this: If my dd7, REALLY wanted to start on an electric guitar, she could, they had a red one there for about 129.00, but you also need an amp. They DO do repairs on other instruments, that they don't sell, however, starting Jan.1st they will no longer be doing repairs on "department store" stuff.. it's not worth their time, (which i can totally see), I asked them about Luna brand and Daisy Rocks brand - they honestly said they never heard of Luna (and they have been around quite a while), but they said that Daisy Rocks is decent.
So....... my conclusion on this is - I am goin to get dd just a basic wooden acoustic guitar - that i was shown by this store -- for 69.00, and a case (additional 20.00), and at least i know they will tune it for me, and that it was sold by them, and if she ends up at this particular place for lessons, i think it will just work out best for me.. HOWEVER, that being said, i am also going to be doing this::
Since i know my dd would LOVE a PINK electric guitar (or so she thinks), i am going to leave her a note from Santa.. That if she takes lessons and takes care of her acoustic guitar for one year, that next Christmas, he will see to it that the elves will make her a PINK electric guitar with amp.
I think that is the best way for me to go. Then if she sticks with it, and takes care of it.. i will be ok spending 300.00 for a pink electric guitar from Daisy Rocks and amp next year.. but to just go off and buy that amount now is just crazy to me.. when i am not even 100% positive how long she will want to play.. kwim?

PLEASE DO NOT BUY A CHEAP GUITAR FOR YOUR CHILD!!!!!

We bought one for DS5 (I believe it was a First Act), and when I was tuning it (I played several instruments through school, and know what I am doing),a string snapped and sliced my finger open. I couldn't imagine the damage it would have done to my eye, or a little child's finger. The guitar we bought was a piece of junk. If you decide to buy a guitar, please take the suggestions of fellow posters of higher quality, yet smaller, instruments.

We just bought this same electric guitar for DS6 for Christmas. DH and I opened it up to check it out yesterday and were so disapointed in the quality!! We're taking it back today and are now on the hunt for a used smaller electric one.

HayGan, While i am sure the guitar toy that you mentioned is ok -- it is just that -- a toy. If the OP's dd wants a genuine real guitar - she is better off buying one. I had gotten my dd a toy guitar either last Christmas or the one before, and it just didn't do it for her.. now she wants the real thing. ;)

I called my music store yesterday - after all this discussion, and bascially they told me this: If my dd7, REALLY wanted to start on an electric guitar, she could, they had a red one there for about 129.00, but you also need an amp. They DO do repairs on other instruments, that they don't sell, however, starting Jan.1st they will no longer be doing repairs on "department store" stuff.. it's not worth their time, (which i can totally see), I asked them about Luna brand and Daisy Rocks brand - they honestly said they never heard of Luna (and they have been around quite a while), but they said that Daisy Rocks is decent.
So....... my conclusion on this is - I am goin to get dd just a basic wooden acoustic guitar - that i was shown by this store -- for 69.00, and a case (additional 20.00), and at least i know they will tune it for me, and that it was sold by them, and if she ends up at this particular place for lessons, i think it will just work out best for me.. HOWEVER, that being said, i am also going to be doing this::
Since i know my dd would LOVE a PINK electric guitar (or so she thinks), i am going to leave her a note from Santa.. That if she takes lessons and takes care of her acoustic guitar for one year, that next Christmas, he will see to it that the elves will make her a PINK electric guitar with amp.
I think that is the best way for me to go. Then if she sticks with it, and takes care of it.. i will be ok spending 300.00 for a pink electric guitar from Daisy Rocks and amp next year.. but to just go off and buy that amount now is just crazy to me.. when i am not even 100% positive how long she will want to play.. kwim?

This is a great idea OP. I would love to do this same thing, but DH disagrees w/me and thinks we should just get DS the one he wants now, then IF he likes it we won't have to buy him another one later. I'm learning to choose my battles, but the price difference drives me crazy!! :scared1:

Well, I bought my dd an acousitc wooden guitar from the music store near me. It cost me $120 for the guitar, the soft carry case, and a stand. (with tax.)
I decided to go this route, and leave a note from santa, that if she takes lessons for one year, next year the elves will make her a pink electric guitar if she wants.
I just can't see spending $300 on a pink electric now (with amp) until i know that she will REALLY like to play. I just don't have that extra $$, we are going on too many vacations too soon! LOL ;)
I also talked to the guy at the store, and i think i am also going to somehow, personalize her guitar.. either with decals or paint or something -- anyone have ideas?? To make it more "girly". Nothing overboard.. just maybe something to make it special. I love to paint/embellish, so i am sure i can figure out something.. LOL
I must admit, it is a very nice guitar. And the guy took it out of the box for me and tuned it up. Gotta love that!

ETA: I also got her 4 pink picks.. :) I think i may take one and drill a hole in it and make a necklace for her out of it..

I'm not sure what ad I saw it in this past weekend, but they had a fender package, with a low end strat, amp and bag for I think it was either $129 or $149. It was probably either target, best buy or circuit city, just not sure which one and I don't still have the adds. I'm sure it would be listed on the web site of the store . It is a good starter kit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter