DCL signs new agreement with Port of Galveston

Whoo hoo! My Girl Scouts want to take a cruise together next summer, and I was worried that Disney would stop offering Galveston. They're going to be excited!

Unless a LOT changes between now and then, there is not a Disney ship there during the summer. Dream and Fantasy are contractually out of Port Canaveral, Magic is in Europe, and Wonder (the ship that has been at Galveston when one is there) is in Alaska. I don't see them giving up the lucrative Alaska season for Galveston.

We did a cruise out of Galveston in November, it was a cold, windy day, and the worst part of the experience was the parking run by the port. It's a big open lot, no cover of any kind. They had us waiting out in the open for over 20 minutes waiting for a bus to come take us to the terminal. Some folks gave up and started walking, and looking at the route they had to navigate train tracks and big puddles. But once we got in the terminal it was nothing worst the some others that we've been in, just big open waiting areas with a bunch of chairs. So IMHO the #1 thing the need to do is come up with a better parking solution, since if it had been raining, like the day before, all of us would have been soaked, not a nice was to start a cruise.

We've parked at Lighthouse Parking in the past, under a covered area and have never been disappointed. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) try parking there - in the past there has also been a discount price if you get online and pay in advance.

We've parked at Lighthouse Parking in the past, under a covered area and have never been disappointed. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) try parking there - in the past there has also been a discount price if you get online and pay in advance.

I agree, I've used Lighthouse many times for Disney and other cruiseline cruises!

I agree, I've used Lighthouse many times for Disney and other cruiseline cruises!

I knew there were other parking services around the area but for the first time I though I'd play it safe with the port parking, won't be making that mistake again. I just found it interesting when watching the YouTube video of the board meeting when they voted on the new agreement they had a discussion about how drab the terminals are and ways to improve it but nothing about what IMHO is the worst thing, the parking. Also forgot to mention that when we got back from the cruise our car was totally dirty, guess it was from the silo's which are right next to the parking lots.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has heard anything about additional sailings from Galveston per year? When news broke they mentioned more cruises from Galveston... but nobody has said anything since then. :confused3

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has heard anything about additional sailings from Galveston per year? When news broke they mentioned more cruises from Galveston... but nobody has said anything since then. :confused3

Since the last post in this thread before your bump, DCL added 9 Galveston sailings over November and December 2020.

It would be problematic for the new ships to sail from Galveston because they don't have LNG (liquefied natural gas) bunkerage refueling capability which is the fuel that #5, 6 & 7 will burn. I know there's a huge export terminal there for LNG onload to carriers for overseas movement, but it's not just hooking up a hose to refuel a cruise ship. Today, only Jacksonville, FL, and Port Fourchon, LA—with a third facility under development in Tacoma, WA have LNG capabilities. Yep, Port Canaveral is on the list after Tacoma using barges as an interim measure. The port of Los Angeles/Long Beach are in the developmental stages of establishing their refueling capability.

It would be problematic for the new ships to sail from Galveston because they don't have LNG (liquefied natural gas) bunkerage refueling capability which is the fuel that #5, 6 & 7 will burn. I know there's a huge export terminal there for LNG onload to carriers for overseas movement, but it's not just hooking up a hose to refuel a cruise ship. Today, only Jacksonville, FL, and Port Fourchon, LA—with a third facility under development in Tacoma, WA have LNG capabilities. Yep, Port Canaveral is on the list after Tacoma using barges as an interim measure. The port of Los Angeles/Long Beach are in the developmental stages of establishing their refueling capability.
So couldn’t they also use barges to refueling since we’re not talking a year round scheduled like PC has?

So couldn’t they also use barges to refueling since we’re not talking a year round scheduled like PC has?
Sure, but you need the shoreside infrastructure to fill the barges, safety equipment (huge investment here that the USCG is very involved in) and then the infrastructure to safely hold and receive LNG. Not saying it's impossible, but won't be anytime soon. Very expensive and the worldwide fleet of LNG equipped ships is very, very small. The return on investment for the port authority has to be considered. If you invest $500 million dollars in the infrastructure, you'll want paying customers to use it.

Sure, but you need the shoreside infrastructure to fill the barges, safety equipment (huge investment here that the USCG is very involved in) and then the infrastructure to safely hold and receive LNG. Not saying it's impossible, but won't be anytime soon. Very expensive and the worldwide fleet of LNG equipped ships is very, very small. The return on investment for the port authority has to be considered. If you invest $500 million dollars in the infrastructure, you'll want paying customers to use it.
Can’t they just fill the barge at the LA faculty that you mention? How much different the what PC will do in the beginning?

Since the last post in this thread before your bump, DCL added 9 Galveston sailings over November and December 2020.

Thank you for your response. Yes, they added 9 in November and December, but they always sail out of Galveston in November and December. That's not a "new set of sailings", it is the norm for DCL in Galveston over November and December and a few in January. I'm hoping for sailings in other months than Nov, Dec and Jan from Galveston.

Thank you for your response. Yes, they added 9 in November and December, but they always sail out of Galveston in November and December. That's not a "new set of sailings", it is the norm for DCL in Galveston over November and December and a few in January. I'm hoping for sailings in other months than Nov, Dec and Jan from Galveston.

Until the fleet expands, it is highly unlikely that there will be any sailings from Galveston outside the usual. They have their schedules that they like and they don't seem keen on altering them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter