• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL Navigator App - Tech for the sake of tech?

ember1205

Mouseketeer
For me, the Navigator App wasn't terribly helpful overall for a number of reasons:

- You can't search by venue to see everything going in on in a specific location
- You can't search by Character to see all of their scheduled meet-and-greets
- You can't see your entire itinerary of available events all at once, only the currently selected day
- Specific events that occur multiple times don't show "other viewings" or similar to make it easy to tell when it would be offered again
- Changing the active day to view events resets your viewing filters
- There aren't enough appropriate filters to see things in a pared-down-enough way
- No way to search by host/hostess for different events (if you really like or dislike how a certain CM handles their events, this is useful)
- The chat component doesn't actually notify the recipient of a new message unless they're actively using the app - pretty useless when you're trying to reach someone!

The biggest issue that I have with the app is that it seems to be "technology for the sake of using technology" as opposed to actually accomplishing something terribly useful. When I'm on vacation, I want to be able to leave my technology in my stateroom, not be forced to keep it charged and carry it everywhere with me all of the time. While I understand that Disney is trying to reduce waste and such by eliminating tons of paper use for the Navigators, pushing us to use our smartphones that can inadvertently chew up a ton of WiFi or even inadvertently be connected to cellular services and rack up quite a bill.

Personally, I would much prefer the Wave phones be discontinued and replaced with a different device to provide phone, messaging, AND Navigator-replacement functions.

What are your thoughts?

I agree to some degree; the ability to search more would be great. Not sure if they'll ever allow searching by host, as I would guess their schedules are flexible. I did find that I was able to click on events such as "Chip & Dale" and then to click on "Schedule" and it would show other days when it was offered. Similarly other shows and movies and such worked that way. Not sure why it didn't work for you, that is annoying. I also thought I was able to see my plans for any specific day.

I still like the paper version; for one thing you can't see the overlap of events very well on the app version.

I work in software design, and my guess is there's a couple things going on here. One, they want to save the effort and cost of printing paper navigators by pushing the app. And two, they haven't done enough user research to understand what their users want. This happens all the time in software creation. People think because they design and build something that their users will use it the way they dictate.

I agree to some degree; the ability to search more would be great. Not sure if they'll ever allow searching by host, as I would guess their schedules are flexible. I did find that I was able to click on events such as "Chip & Dale" and then to click on "Schedule" and it would show other days when it was offered. Similarly other shows and movies and such worked that way. Not sure why it didn't work for you, that is annoying. I also thought I was able to see my plans for any specific day.

I still like the paper version; for one thing you can't see the overlap of events very well on the app version.

Yes, I can see plans for "today" or any specific day. I was unable to have that display a scrolling agenda through the whole voyage, though.

I could understand that CM schedules can change, but it would be great if there was a way to search at least by certain categories (dance, karaoke, trivia, etc.). Search functionality is very poor IMHO and leaves a LOT to be desired.

The fact that the app does NOT notify users to new chat messages if it's in the background is a giant fail. Why bother with the functionality at all? There were multiple times that I needed an easy way to contact someone that was elsewhere on the ship and the Navigator App never allowed that because of how the notifications work.

One thing I did like on our recent cruise using the new app is the alerts you get 15 minutes or so before a scheduled event (like an evening show, Palo reservation, spa reservation, or excursion).

The app was marginally useful for looking up scheduled events, but one thing in its favor was that it was updated more frequently than the paper navigators. Regardless, we still liked having the paper navigators (with everything listed in one place), and either picked them up from Guest Services each day or requested them from our room steward. I would not have been happy depending solely on the app.

The app did everything I expected it to do on our last cruise. I was able to find what we wanted to do for the day, loved the reminders, liked being able to check our running tab, and used the menu option a lot to decide what we wanted to order before dinner. Plus, we could communicate with family members easily (there are a few bugs in this area that need fixing). I thought I would miss the paper, but I didn't miss it at all. Never once got a paper navigator.

I found that our family liked a combination of both---paper navigator for me (less techy, and WANTS to put her phone away the second we get on the ship)), while my 19 and 21 year old sons lived and breathed by the app. My husband liked to look at the paper while he was sitting around in a deck chair, but like to be able to see the menu for that night's dinner on the app., along with get updates. I totally get the desire to move toward the app, as I am sure they were wasting a ton of paper. I really hope that Disney continues to acknowledge that some people still like to look at a paper, and offer it for pick-up at Guest services. It really wasnt a problem to go and pick it up, and it actually gave me an excuse to walk down the stairs after dinner to get it! (Became a late-night ritual for me!)

I love the app. I like that you can see the menus. I love that you can message other people on the ship and it actually buzzes like a regular text message would. You can actually see the next days schedules, you have to click on the certain day, you can't see the entire weeks schedule all at once. You can save any activity you want and it reminds you ahead of time so you won't miss it.

I think it is a great app. I've only ever used an app on the Princess Cruise Line and there app is basically useless. I think all you can do is check your charges to the stateroom. The DCL app has everything I need and want.

I love the app. I like that you can see the menus. I love that you can message other people on the ship and it actually buzzes like a regular text message would. You can actually see the next days schedules, you have to click on the certain day, you can't see the entire weeks schedule all at once. You can save any activity you want and it reminds you ahead of time so you won't miss it.

I think it is a great app. I've only ever used an app on the Princess Cruise Line and there app is basically useless. I think all you can do is check your charges to the stateroom. The DCL app has everything I need and want.

You can see the standard menus, but it doesn't show changes (there were discrepancies on my cruise between what was in the app and what was actually being served).

It actually DOESN'T "buzz" like regular text messages, and that's a major problem. If the app is in the background, there is no notification of new messages (I know for fact that it doesn't work correctly on iOS, and I seem to recall issues on Android Pie as well).

What really frustrates me is that Disney has essentially forced me into using my phone on the cruise when what I -WANT- is to put the phone away and not have to see it until I get to port or back to Canaveral...

You can see the standard menus, but it doesn't show changes (there were discrepancies on my cruise between what was in the app and what was actually being served).

It actually DOESN'T "buzz" like regular text messages, and that's a major problem. If the app is in the background, there is no notification of new messages (I know for fact that it doesn't work correctly on iOS, and I seem to recall issues on Android Pie as well).

What really frustrates me is that Disney has essentially forced me into using my phone on the cruise when what I -WANT- is to put the phone away and not have to see it until I get to port or back to Canaveral...
I haven't used the app on a ship yet, but I just looked it up on my iPhone in the Settings menu, and there's an option for Background App Refresh. Did you have that on? Trying to understand and be prepared!

The biggest issue that I have with the app is that it seems to be "technology for the sake of using technology" as opposed to actually accomplishing something terribly useful.

I think it’s the best bit of tech Disney has, and given how ridiculous I think their tech is, that’s saying something. I found it incredibly useful. And that was the 2015 version.

One, they want to save the effort and cost of printing paper navigators by pushing the app.

They’ve been using this for some years now, and only recently got rid of the delivered paper navigators, fwiw.

The fact that the app does NOT notify users to new chat messages if it's in the background is a giant fail. Why bother with the functionality at all?

After the first half day or so we learned to open the app ALL the way of we thought we should get a text. I don’t want it chiming or buzzing if I’m in a show or a talk.

Once we learned to check often, it was simple.

and it actually buzzes like a regular text message would.

Does it?

But there are paper navigators.

Of course, those won’t let you see on day 1 when jack sparrow is meeting each day (literally something that was incredibly useful to us), or what the basic menus will be the whole cruise, or the other things the app gives you...

I haven't used the app on a ship yet, but I just looked it up on my iPhone in the Settings menu, and there's an option for Background App Refresh. Did you have that on? Trying to understand and be prepared!
There's actually a notice IN the app that tells you it doesn't work...

I found that our family liked a combination of both---paper navigator for me (less techy, and WANTS to put her phone away the second we get on the ship)), while my 19 and 21 year old sons lived and breathed by the app. My husband liked to look at the paper while he was sitting around in a deck chair, but like to be able to see the menu for that night's dinner on the app., along with get updates. I totally get the desire to move toward the app, as I am sure they were wasting a ton of paper. I really hope that Disney continues to acknowledge that some people still like to look at a paper, and offer it for pick-up at Guest services. It really wasnt a problem to go and pick it up, and it actually gave me an excuse to walk down the stairs after dinner to get it! (Became a late-night ritual for me!)

This was us on our recent cruise. I basically put my phone away. I don't want to see it, hear it, charge it. My break. I have to admit, when we were in the theater, getting ready to see the new stage version of Aladdin, I looked down (we were in the balcony) and all I saw was light from phone screens. Never really saw that on a cruise before this. Too each their own I guess.

Picking up a paper navigator was never an issue, but on the Fantasy, in the evenings, on our cruise, it was never really "put out", sort of tucked away behind the slot where they would normally be found. Surely to discourage you from just grabbing one if you happened to walk by. But they were there.

My kids are also 19 and 21. They liked the app and the ability to imessage their friends throughout the cruise. As mom, I wasn't so crazy about it. Truly it is family time and they did put their phones away when asked. My husband the same as yours- paper version, but enjoying the ability to look-up the dinning menu on his phone.

I agree-I hope Disney continues to acknowledge that some people want to unplug or may not be tech-savy or even have phones with the capability.

I found a number of dead spots on the ship where the app simply wouldn't work because there was no WiFi, too. This is a bit of an issue if the app is the only system they're providing going forward (there WILL come a time when the paper Navigators won't be available, or you'll have to pay for them).

As I mentioned before... If they're going to move in this direction permanently, I would prefer to see the Wave phones get dumped and replaced with a couple of devices like the iPod Touch. The replacement cost would be similar to that of the phones and they could replace the phone portion with a VOIP app (and there should be NO "speakerphone" option nor should there be a way to video chat). Smaller, lighter, easier to use than the stupid T9 texting on the Wave phones, etc. And, in a pinch, they could leave a Wave phone in the room as well.

I want to put my phone AWAY on the ship. Period.

The chat function on the app needs a LOT of work. We had a kid in the Oceaneer's club trying to get a hold of us (we didn't have the wave phones on us, just the app), and he was losing his mind an hour later when I just happened to go into the stateroom and the phone was ringing from Oceaneers that he wanted picking up. They had been calling (we weren't in the room) and sending messages on the app but we didn't get any notifications on the app about it until HOURS later. And yes, we complained while on the ship about it. ;)

I don't hate the app, but it has very clear shortcomings.

1. Chat functionality is ridiculous. Hopefully iMessage will continue to be complementary.
2. DCL caters to families. Many families, including mine, don't provide electronic devices for their young kids.
3. There's a lot of water activities on the ship. If I dropped the paper navigator in the pool, no big deal. My phone, huge problem.
4. The app does not do a good job of showing overlap of activities.

I wish they would still deliver to rooms on request, but I will deal with a trip to guest services so DD can enjoy choosing activities and I have a portable version of the information.

Its tech for "we save money by not printing navigators and make you think its all about you" sake...

I just picked the paper version up each evening for the next day at guest services. No biggie, and gave me something to read while waiting in the theater to start.

I do like that the app shows you what is going on at a given time though. It is sometimes nice to plan in advance and just go with whatever is going on when I feel like doing something.

It should also work when you're not actually in the app, but it is really, really unreliable. I got it sometimes, but sometimes the message didn't even show up when I was in the app (standing next to my husband who said he send me something)

It "should"? Or, we expect it to work? Based on the note from DCL that it clearly has shortcomings, my guess is that it's the latter. That doesn't mean that we should forgive it for NOT working properly...

Its tech for "we save money by not printing navigators and make you think its all about you" sake...

So, it's tech for the sake tech - it doesn't actually solve any real problem, it's simply "a new app" (because that's what 'everyone wants', supposedly) that affords DCL a way to reduce paper usage. I would theorize that it is NOT a cost-savings measure, per se, as the development of the app, supporting it on ship, and providing the WiFi and other infrastructure for it to operate all costs money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter