Dcl insurance

4 mickey

4 MICKEY
Hi
how much is dcl insurance for a 7 day cruise per person?
can it be had later than at booking ?
thanks

I believe insurance is 8% of the cruise cost. If you’re doing a lot of traveling in the next year, you might consider an annual policy from an independent travel insurance company.

The insurance through DCL is not actually "bought" until PIF, so yes it can be added up until that date. Be aware of what you want or need for coverage vs what that plan covers (for example no pre-existing conditions waiver, the cancel-for-any-reason is not $$ refund but a limited credit from DCL, etc.). You may be able to get more/better coverage for lower cost by going through a 3rd party vendor.

Always start with a review of what insurance coverage you already have through your health insurance or credit card. No need to pay for double coverage.
My group health insurance always covered medical care overseas, and I was happy to discover when I went on Medicare last month, that while Medicare will NOT cover you outside the U.S., my Medicare supplement will. As someone in the insurance industry said, people forget that medical care is generally cheaper outside the U.S., so to save money, many insurance providers will pay for care outside the U.S.

I usually opt for private travel insurance, but occasionally DCL is a better deal. One nice thing about DCL's insurance is that it includes cancel for any reason coverage (which gives you 75% of the cruise cost back in the form of a future cruise credit) even though the insurance can be added at any time up until you're PIF. Whereas private insurance has strict time limits for CFAR, usually 2 weeks or 30 days from initial downpayment (although theirs typically gives back the 75% in cash, if you're too late to sign up for it, that isn't helpful).

Also keep in mind, if you need to be transported from the ship or an island back to the U.S. for emergency medical reasons, that is something travel insurance usually covers, and regular health insurance typically does not. It is exorbitantly expensive.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind, if you need to be transported from the ship or an island back to the U.S. for emergency medical reasons, that is something travel insurance usually covers, and regular health insurance typically does not. It is exorbitantly expensive.
It depends. For example, if you are a U.S. citizen on a Caribbean cruise, the U.S. Coast Guard will likely do the medical transport for free. A former co-worker had his appendix burst 1,000 miles west of San Diego on the way to Hawaii. The U.S. Coast Guard sent two helicopters and a refueling aircraft to rescue him. All at no charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter