DCL cancelled my Vacation Protection Plan - Need Help

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
Hi all,

I am so exhausted from my 2 hour phone call with DCL guest services, and really need some disboards community help here. I had originally been booked on a May 2020 cruise, moved it to August 2020 cruise, DCL cancelled the August 2020 cruise, and I rebooked to 2021 (sorry, I know that is really convoluted). On the original cruise I didn't have the vacation protection plan, because it was a short cruise on the Dream and I booked it before all this Covid stuff. But I do want insurance for my much longer and more expensive 2021 cruise, so I added it, and the CM at the time had no issues with me adding it.

Now after a long runaround with no real answers, according to DCL, they had to remove VPP because it was apparently not allowed in my circumstances. They said that because I had two cruises cancelled instead of one, they had to cancel my 2021 reservation and rebook it under the old May 2020 reservation number in order for me to keep my FCC., and my old vacation number was ineligible for VPP because it was paid in full. When I pointed out that my FCC was already successfully applied to my new 2021 reservation number, they basically said the CM who initially rebooked me made a mistake and I was out of luck. They told me I could cancel and lose my FCC and placeholder, or keep it and get third-party insurance.

That was partly background and partly a rant because I am so frustrated that this rebooking saga never seems to end, and I've spent so much time and energy on a single vacation that is still 14 months away from me getting to enjoy. For the first time, I am considering just being done with DCL. But if I do keep the cruise, I need your help because I just don't even know what is a "good" insurance company or where to begin.

Does anyone have any favorites they would recommend? The big things I want to make sure are covered are denial of boarding if one of us gets sick, or medical treatment/evacuation if we get sick or injured on the ship or at a foreign port--does anyone have recent post-Covid world experience booking outside insurance and found ones that still have good policies? I also would like to wait until closer to PIF to buy the insurance, in case I'm not able to get time off work and can no longer sail, but I don't know if I can wait or if I have to book it now. Can anyone help me out a bit and steer me in the right direction?

Hi all,

I am so exhausted from my 2 hour phone call with DCL guest services, and really need some disboards community help here. I had originally been booked on a May 2020 cruise, moved it to August 2020 cruise, DCL cancelled the August 2020 cruise, and I rebooked to 2021 (sorry, I know that is really convoluted). On the original cruise I didn't have the vacation protection plan, because it was a short cruise on the Dream and I booked it before all this Covid stuff. But I do want insurance for my much longer and more expensive 2021 cruise, so I added it, and the CM at the time had no issues with me adding it.

Now after a long runaround with no real answers, according to DCL, they had to remove VPP because it was apparently not allowed in my circumstances. They said that because I had two cruises cancelled instead of one, they had to cancel my 2021 reservation and rebook it under the old May 2020 reservation number in order for me to keep my FCC., and my old vacation number was ineligible for VPP because it was paid in full. When I pointed out that my FCC was already successfully applied to my new 2021 reservation number, they basically said the CM who initially rebooked me made a mistake and I was out of luck. They told me I could cancel and lose my FCC and placeholder, or keep it and get third-party insurance.

That was partly background and partly a rant because I am so frustrated that this rebooking saga never seems to end, and I've spent so much time and energy on a single vacation that is still 14 months away from me getting to enjoy. For the first time, I am considering just being done with DCL. But if I do keep the cruise, I need your help because I just don't even know what is a "good" insurance company or where to begin.

Does anyone have any favorites they would recommend? The big things I want to make sure are covered are denial of boarding if one of us gets sick, or medical treatment/evacuation if we get sick or injured on the ship or at a foreign port--does anyone have recent post-Covid world experience booking outside insurance and found ones that still have good policies? I also would like to wait until closer to PIF to buy the insurance, in case I'm not able to get time off work and can no longer sail, but I don't know if I can wait or if I have to book it now. Can anyone help me out a bit and steer me in the right direction?
I suggest you use one of the trip insurance comparison sites (google that). You put in the parameters of what you want covered, and they will show you different companies policies to compare. Except for one time, we've always used them and you'll find better coverage with lower cost that way.

You can book travel insurance from a 3rd party pretty much at any time up until departure date. It usually costs more the closer to departure date you are.

PrincessShmoo pretty much said it all. Going with an outside provider is usually cheaper and has better coverage. I've used a comparison site, found one I liked, and for every cruise after the initial search, I've checked again, but my preferred provider always is the best deal/coverage for me. Also I never book the insurance until about a week before my PIF date. For what I want covered by insurance (mostly the same things you listed) that works great. If you are trying to cover a pre-existing condition is where it gets tricky and you have to usually purchase within a week of your first deposit (which in this case they would probably count as when you first put money down for the May 2020 cruise.....)

Just as a quick side note, have you double checked your current credit card doesn't offer some type of free trip insurance? Some do, sometimes it covers enough to make buying additional covered not needed.

Sorry a vacation so far out is causing so much stress. It sounds so old school, but just take it one step at a time. Tons of people go on a cruise with almost zero planning and have great trips, you are already miles ahead of them just by being on this board.

You might not need it. Depending on the payment method you used, you might already have comparable or superior trip protection built in. If you're comfortable telling me the type of card you used then I'm happy to do some quick research to see if you're already covered. (Not just visa, MasterCard, etc...but the bank and card type)

No worries if you'd rather keep that private; I'd totally understand. :)

I'll just add... ask questions before purchasing, to make sure you are getting what you think you are getting. If COVID-19 is a concern, specifically ask about it. If canceling due to work issues is a concern, specifically ask about it. The reps want you to understand what you are purchasing and I've found them to be great about answering questions.

I’ve always gone through my travel agent and she always recommends travel guard. I’ve been happy with them. We had to have one payout because of a knee injury. We got paid very quickly. Cancel for any reason usually only pays 50% and all the companies are pretty strict on what they consider pre existing so make sure you read the policies carefully. Personally I would not rely on my credit card insurance,

I would just add caution to read any contract and specifically ask in writing about their coverage during a pandemic. I have not found an insurer yet who will cover new reservations (post January 2020) for medical losses related to CoVid. The standard industry language includes pandemics (usually with acts of war and terrorism section). When I have called our previous insurers (last month) they’ve all said CoVid is a known risk now and we will not cover losses from it on new policies. Since I was specifically worried about denial of boarding and potential quarantine due to increased infection risks these were no gos.

I’ve also been reading a lot of travel blogs to see if anyone is having luck with new insurance and have not found any. I’m very interested in anyone thats had success since I’d like to find one (and I’m not going past any cancellation stages without coverage under this pandemic)

In your situation, I would make a brand new reservation and get cancel for any reason coverage (usually can only be purchased within 14 days of booking the trip) that is good up until the moment that you would board (some require you to cancel 48 hours before the official start of the trip). I think that's the only way you would be covered if DCL denies you boarding.

For what it's worth, I paid for my (now cancelled) cruise before coronavirus hit and I used the 125% credit to book another cruise the following summer. I paid with a Chase Sapphire Reserve so I called them to find out if my original trip insurance benefits apply to the rebooked cruise. They told me that the purchase date was before the pandemic so that's the date they'll use for any possible claims and that I'm still fully covered, even for the new cruise. In other words, they only cared about the date of purchase...not the date of travel.

In your situation, I would make a brand new reservation and get cancel for any reason coverage (usually can only be purchased within 14 days of booking the trip) that is good up until the moment that you would board (some require you to cancel 48 hours before the official start of the trip). I think that's the only way you would be covered if DCL denies you boarding.

This is where the landscape for insurance has changed so much. Using two different websites (including Insure my trip) not a single company is offering cancel for any reason policies on cruises in 2021.

Its a real wrench in things.

Thanks everyone, this is sort of what I worried about--that a lot of insurers would have Covid exclusions and the insurance would basically be worthless. I don't really understand the "known risk" argument--getting the flu and noro and getting denied boarding as a result is a known risk, but that's why I want insurance--to guard against known risks. I annoyingly paid with a credit card that had no insurance (original payment was long before any of this came out). And I don't want to cancel and book a new cruise because the 10% placeholder plus 25% FCC is really the only reason we even want to cruise in 2021--especially given DCL has not otherwise lowered their 2021 prices.

I guess I will start with the online search and also check out travel guard since that was recommended. Am just wary of winding up with a sketchy company, and don't have a travel agent to help. *sigh*

Thanks everyone, this is sort of what I worried about--that a lot of insurers would have Covid exclusions and the insurance would basically be worthless. I don't really understand the "known risk" argument--getting the flu and noro and getting denied boarding as a result is a known risk, but that's why I want insurance--to guard against known risks. I annoyingly paid with a credit card that had no insurance (original payment was long before any of this came out). And I don't want to cancel and book a new cruise because the 10% placeholder plus 25% FCC is really the only reason we even want to cruise in 2021--especially given DCL has not otherwise lowered their 2021 prices.

I guess I will start with the online search and also check out travel guard since that was recommended. Am just wary of winding up with a sketchy company, and don't have a travel agent to help. *sigh*

Go look over at Cruise Critic. They have a Cruise Discussion Topic thread called Cruise/Travel Insurance that will be able to help you. There is even someone that will answer questions.

We travel a lot - flying, cruises, foreign and domestic tours. Our regular insurance company ...house, cars, boat, liability, comprehensive, etc. offers an annual travel insurance policy for an annual price less than insuring each trip. We haven't had to make a claim yet (might have one for a covid related cancellation depending on how a couple of things play out).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!