• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DC Area Resident - need I95 Rush hr Info

NandP

Nick D DIS Veteran DVC-BCV
Anyone living in the DC Area, or traveling I95 regularly... what are the times to avoid traveling I95 around the DC area?
We are leaving from NY around 4am... should put us near DC around 10-11am... will we miss rush hour?

Any advice would be helpful!!!

Thanks

There is no such thing as "missing" rush hour in DC ; )

Depending on which day, you *should* be ok, though. Friday's can be rough all day.

And frankly, you never know what is going to come up and put I95 at a standstill. And check VDOT for construction around the mixing bowl (I95 at Springfield exit)

If you hit DC at around 11 or 12, and can get right through there, then you will hit Richmond about an hour to hour and 1/2 later, which will get you through our rush hour. Again, if you are travelling on a Friday, especially in Summer, all bets are off.

Once you are on the otherside of Petersburg, you should have some smooth sailing for awhile.

Shelly

I would have to agree with Shelly, Fridays are a wild card in DC.

Everyone is on the road by 2PM. Lunch time is very bad and if you happen to catch the Wilson bridge open plan on an extra hour to get back south on I 95.

Just like NYC listen to the traffic reports and have a back up plan. WTOP FM 107.7/ 1500 AM is about the best, traffic on the 8's.

Also take I-295 around Richmond. Not worth the risk of construction and the speed limit on 95 goes down to 55 from 65.

What Ever you do, do not, and I repeat do not speed on 95 anywhere near Emporia or Greenville County or you will hate yourself.

Have a safe trip, we are driving down for Good Friday week from DC.

Thanks for the info BOB... we are leaving the day before Good Friday from NY... see ya on I95!!!

What state are those counties in? I hear Gorgia is pretty tough on out of state vehicles too.

There is an alternative around DC traffic -- from Baltimore, take route 3 south to US 301 south into Virginia, cut through Fort A.P. Hill, and at Bowling Green take route 207 to Ruther Glen at I-95 about 30 miles north of Richmond. I took the reverse one time to Baltimore. It's quite a bit of non-interstate highway but you do avoid DC traffic.

Definitely take I-295 around Richmond. That way you can avoid any construction, in-town traffic, and maintain a higher speed limit. Emporia is in VA, about 10-15 minutes from the NC line.

I've lived in the south most of my life and it seems like most state highway patrols are tough on out of state vehicles. Keep your speed about 5 miles above the speed limit and you should be fine. Just remember ... that snazzy sports car passing you at Mach 5 is doing you a favor by getting the police's attention. :teeth:

We've had some "success" around DC at the 10-11 AM hour--tho 5:00 AM is much better. At least at 10-11 you'll miss the actual rush hours.
I join in recommending I-295 around Richmond.
The Virginia State Police seem always to be out in force. I honestly can't remember ever seeing any State Police in either of the Carolina's, or in Georgia.

Greenville Cty is in Southern VA starting at exit 17. Take it slow, the brown sheriff cars are most always out in force.

Drive safe and have a great vacation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter