Daughter swallowed a luggage key

I have no idea in your case but it reminded of something. My mom suspected my brother of taking lots of St Joseph's baby aspirin because she found the bottle opened & almost empty. (This was decades ago). Well, a trip to the ER to have his stomach pumped ensured that he would NEVER do that again....or do it a first time if he hadn't taken them. :rotfl2:

At 8 yrs old, maybe a little trauma would teach her to stop putting things into her mouth. ;)

My sister did that same exact thing, those little St. Joseph orange pills I guess tasted like candy. She ended up in the ER, this was many years ago ;)

I wouldnt worry about it. just keep an eye on her

My first post. Hope it goes through ok.

I swallowed a nickel when I was 3 or 4 years old. (While eating pop tarts:confused3 ) My dad shook me upside down and shoved his finger down my throat. Ended up going to the hospital the next day. They did an xray and did see it. Told my mother to dig when I "did my business each day" until she found it. She did find it and all was well.

She needs to go to a doctor.

I'd also want to know why she keeps putting things in her mouth. That doesn't seem like normal 8 year old behavior. :confused3

When I worked in the ER the only thing they worried about was a battery because of the acid when it corroded. Something that small will probably pass right through. Possibly the embarrassment of "looking" for it will break her of putting things in her mouth. Unless it was very sharp I seriously doubt the traumatize a child with an endoscope for a tiny key. I would just watch her and if she had bad stomach pains then call the DR. I'd also increase the fiber for a few days.

I agree. And the more you make a big deal out of it, the more upset she'll be.

I swallowed a metal twist tie when I was about her age (don't ask :rolleyes1 ) and I'm still alive.

I do agree with those who think it's abnormal to keep putting things in her mouth. The twist tie incident was a one-off, I was not in the habit of regularly putting things in my mouth.

Anne

My son swallowed the antenna from his cell phone, he was a teen not a kid :scared: . Dummy. I kept waiting for the run to the emergency room, but that never happened.

:lmao: I remember you posting about that one.

Anne

My first post. Hope it goes through ok.

I swallowed a nickel when I was 3 or 4 years old. (While eating pop tarts:confused3 ) My dad shook me upside down and shoved his finger down my throat. Ended up going to the hospital the next day. They did an xray and did see it. Told my mother to dig when I "did my business each day" until she found it. She did find it and all was well.

:lmao: That's an impressive first post :rotfl:

OP- I'd be less concerned about the swallowing the key as to why she's putting the stuff in her mouth. I know that some kids are chewers and need the extra oral motor stimulation, and there are things designed specifically for this. It's definitely worth investigating. :hug:

My dd swallowed a quarter, and was in extreme pain. It got lodged outside her windpipe. The hospital waited a couple of hours to see if it would pass on it's own, and only then did they go in with the scope. If there's not pain, I'm sure it's making it's way down, and they're not going to scope her. The only reason why we were told to go to the ER was the fact that she was choking and screaming.

Maybe its a good thing I don't have kids. I don't think like most parents today. :rotfl2:

I have kids, and I completely agree with your thinking. If it passes just fine without incident, she'll probably want to see what else will pass as well. Put a little fear into that kid, make sure she only does this once!

OP! I think your daughter might need a little bit of occupational therapy. It sounds like she has sensory integration problems...specifically sensory-seeking behavior.

Young children put things in their mouths for the sensation, but they generally grow out of it. If your daughter has anxiety issues, she could be putting things into her mouth to calm herself.

My DD avoided sensations at nearly all costs. The behavior included a lot of anxiety. After a year of testing and behavior therapy, we put her on an anti-anxiety medication. She's much, much better now!

OP! I think your daughter might need a little bit of occupational therapy. It sounds like she has sensory integration problems...specifically sensory-seeking behavior.

Young children put things in their mouths for the sensation, but they generally grow out of it. If your daughter has anxiety issues, she could be putting things into her mouth to calm herself.

My DD avoided sensations at nearly all costs. The behavior included a lot of anxiety. After a year of testing and behavior therapy, we put her on an anti-anxiety medication. She's much, much better now!

This is what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to word it when I responded earlier. I have a friend whose DS would chew on the hems of his shirts- brand new ones would have holes in them in no time at all, not to mention being spit soaked by the end of the day. They found him appropriate things to chew on- homemade, as well as purchased, and also found that the OT beneficial. I believe he too was on anti-anxiety meds.

My DD says that she concentrates better when she's chewing gum. Maybe it's related, I don't know. She herself doesn't chew on things that aren't food, but I can see where it could start if she's struggling with something.

Rafiki-rafiki-rafiki- have you read too loud too tight too fast too bright? Loved that book. I read it over the summer to help me better understand one of the children at school that I occasionally work with. It's been extremely helpful in a lot of ways. :hug:

I agree with Rafiki--have her tested for SID. DS is one of those who has SID and is a sensory seeker. When he was an infant, he would rub his face on the carpet and the walls as well as ch ew everything he could get his mouth around. Our house looked like we had chewy puppies because he chewed the couch, the coffee table..everything. Now at age 3, he still chews but he knows only to chew that which is acceptable, usually one of his medical grade indestructible rubber chewtoys. A lot of time I catch him chewing on his own feet, w hich is kind of gross and it amazes me he can get them into his mouth.:eek:

Ladyjean

Was your daughter watching According to Jim? An incident happened like that on the show.. He swallowed his wedding ring it passed without everyone else knowing.. they thought it was still there when he passed something else which was his house key? did she get the idea from that?

Well I would take her to the doctor or wait until it passes. I would want to scare her so she would not put stuff in her mouth that doesn't belong again. I would be scared if they had to do all of that to me! Also did she tell you she swallowed it or did you see her swallow it?

While I agree it's odd that an 8yo keeps putting things in her mouth I think making it into some disorder is going overboard. Likely she's doing it for attention or because she just hasn't caught on to the cause and effect of her actions.

When I was a kid I used to chew on my hair, and the ends of strings on hooded sweatshirts and coats. No disorder, I just liked it. Kids do stupid things - it's part of being a kid. Did any of you see the thread a couple months ago about kids putting things up their noses? That seems to be pretty common and nobody suggested any disorder, I don't see why swallowing things isn't seen the same way.

There is never a dull moment when it comes to kids! I hope the OP's DD has passed it by now.

DS was 8 mos old and while crawling found a penny and swallowed it. We never knew it until he caught pneumonia and needed chest xrays. Right there on the xray was a white spot where the penny sat, at the opening of his Esophagus(sp). We were lucky it was upright and not flat so air was able to get thru and we have no idea how long it was in there. He had to have outpatient surgery to remove it.

I have had some interesting things happen in my daycare as well. Have had bread, crackers, peas shoved up noses. I broke an acrylic nail and thought I had gotten all of the pieces out of the carpet. One of my 5 yr olds happened to find it at naptime, played with it, and somehow got it stuck in his ear while I was cleaning up the kitchen.

One of my 5 yr olds happened to find it at naptime, played with it, and somehow got it stuck in his ear while I was cleaning up the kitchen.

I'm sorry, I know that it's not funny but for some reason your use of the word "somehow" has me rolling!
"I have a nail in my ear."
"How did that happen?"
"I don't know, somehow it just jumped right in there!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter