DAS for Someone who Can't stand in Long Queues Anymore

c_los75

Earning My Ears
I've been disabled since birth and use a power wheelchair. I've been going to DL since 1980 and have used the DAS my entire adult life. I know what to do for getting my own DAS. (Thanks to those who answered my questions about the new DAS procedures.)

However, my accompanying friend was recently diagnosed with metatarsalgia. From what he told me, he can't stand for long periods of time anymore and he has to wear special shoes now. He didn't know how his disability would affect him at theme parks until he recently went to Universal Studios Hollywood. He told me he had to lean against railings and other things to take some pressure off of his feet while he was in the queues. I don't think he'll need to use a scooter or wheelchair. He says that, as long as he's moving about, he's okay.

Would this qualify him for getting a DAS at the Disney Parks? He's the first person I know with this disability, so I don't know.

It would most likely be considered a mobility need that can be accommodated with a wheelchair or ECV without need for a DAS. A rollator may be another option. If he doesn't want to ride an ECV, a wheelchair or rollator can be pushed while walking but allow him a seat when needed so he can change positions. If he has other needs that weren't mentioned, he may qualify for a DAS.

It would most likely be considered a mobility need that can be accommodated with a wheelchair or ECV without need for a DAS. A rollator may be another option. If he doesn't want to ride an ECV, a wheelchair or rollator can be pushed while walking but allow him a seat when needed so he can change positions. If he has other needs that weren't mentioned, he may qualify for a DAS.
He's thinking of just bringing one of those canes that has a little seat on it. If that doesn't work, he can always lean on my power wheelchair. He doesn't have any other disability. I've known him for 21 years. I would hope he's comfortable enough with me to not have to hide any disability he has.

But, would he qualify for a DAS, though? Or, would my DAS be enough?

Based on what you've shared, he is unlikely to qualify for a DAS. WDW will recommend using a mobility device. If you have a DAS, you can add him as a member of your party.

He can use the cane as a cane. It's likely they would not allow him to use it as a seat because those 3-legged cane/seats can be easily tipped.

Based on what you've shared, he is unlikely to qualify for a DAS. WDW will recommend using a mobility device. If you have a DAS, you can add him as a member of your party.

He can use the cane as a cane. It's likely they would not allow him to use it as a seat because those 3-legged cane/seats can be easily tipped.
Even for just 5 minutes or so? If I remember correctly, when I've been in long lines at DLR, you're not in one spot for more than 10 minutes. Plus, I've never seen anyone not allowed to use those.

When used as a cane, it is a mobility device. When opened into a seat, it is a considered a folding chair which are specifically prohibited. Whether or not a CM sees someone use it at any given moment - just sharing that he might be told not to use it, at which point he would need a plan B. There have been reports of people being told they can't use it as a seat.

You indicated he's accompanying you on your trip. If so, you can add him to your DAS group by going to Guest Relations. You can have up to 5 additional people in your DAS group (not counting yourself). So as long as he plans to go on attractions with you, there should be no problem. When your return time comes up, you would both go together through the alternate attraction entrance.

He's thinking of just bringing one of those canes that has a little seat on it. If that doesn't work, he can always lean on my power wheelchair. He doesn't have any other disability. I've known him for 21 years. I would hope he's comfortable enough with me to not have to hide any disability he has.

Technically, canes with chairs on them are not allowed. And I have seen people turned away at security with them at Disneyland.

I'll have him just lean on my chair or other things then.

An option to consider too, since you said keeping moving helps... is to create a buffer zone ahead of you in line. If you stand in line with you in the back and he in front of you and then he leaves a couple paces of space in front of him before the next person, then you will have created a bubble in which he can move around as needed. Just keep that bubble continuously as the line moves - the person in the rear keeps the people from behind from encroaching into it, and the person in front keeps the distance from the people in front of the bubble. It alsows one to stretch, pace, etc as needed. Basically, as little or as much movement as you need, upto continual movement even if the line itself is at a dead stop.

SW

I'll have him just lean on my chair or other things then.

Or he could bring a rollator - and if it could attach to your chair, he would have it available when he needs it to sit on or lean against. This would help him in all the places DAS isn't used, like queues for transportation, restaurants, parades, and those large holding rooms for shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter