DAS for an adult

What you could do is go to the park the day before, go through the DAS process, and then have them added when they join you the next day. Your DAS will already be active, so adding them should just be a matter of scanning bands.

Yes, you would still need to wait at GS, but at least they wouldn't need to wait while they process your DAS.

Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to answer my questions and help me understand this. It is really helpful for me to fully understand and be aware of the process ahead of time and know what my options are so I'm prepared. Crossing my fingers it all goes well in May!

Of course you should pursue the DAS, but Also consider if you should reevaluate your touring plans...with our family we could go all day to parks but only for two days. Everyone fell apart if we went for a third day.
We learned to take a day of rest. So for you, how many hours can you take at the parks? I know you are with your friends but if it is 4:00 and you can't stand it anymore, would it be better to go back to the hotel and rest and meet up with them for dinner?

Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to answer my questions and help me understand this. It is really helpful for me to fully understand and be aware of the process ahead of time and know what my options are so I'm prepared. Crossing my fingers it all goes well in May!

I have a lot of similar concerns. How did it go?

We don't leave for our trip until this coming Thursday. I did recently inquire about getting one at DL since we're locals, and that was not the greatest experience. It nearly caused a meltdown. The woman was not very receptive to me (I think because I present so "normal") and tried to tell me it probably wouldn't help me since I still had to wait for rides and I would have to wait in some fastpass lines still. She tried really hard to not only discourage me from getting the DAS, but also to discourage me from being in the parks at all that weekend since it was a busy weekend. I'm not quite sure why she took that approach when I clearly outlined to her that it is only once a line gets over 20-30 minutes in length that it becomes a problem. I'm capable of more or less coping up until that point approximately (unless there are incessant screaming children or people touching me in line and then I have to immediately leave), but any more than that and a standard queue doesn't work for me. I need somewhere else I can wait and have a little more control over my environment.

The whole experience was just so stressful and not easy and overwhelming, my wife ended up getting me a churro and we left because I was at my limit (the churro was a reward I had established for myself for trying to do this so I knew I had something good to look forward to if the process didn't go well and that did help a bit so I do recommend having something to look forward to if it not going well will upset you). When we go to WDW, I'm definitely bringing my Duffy bear to help soothe me through this process and I might just have my wife speak for me because I cannot deal with a CM acting like that again.

We don't leave for our trip until this coming Thursday. I did recently inquire about getting one at DL since we're locals, and that was not the greatest experience. It nearly caused a meltdown. The woman was not very receptive to me (I think because I present so "normal") and tried to tell me it probably wouldn't help me since I still had to wait for rides and I would have to wait in some fastpass lines still. She tried really hard to not only discourage me from getting the DAS, but also to discourage me from being in the parks at all that weekend since it was a busy weekend. I'm not quite sure why she took that approach when I clearly outlined to her that it is only once a line gets over 20-30 minutes in length that it becomes a problem. I'm capable of more or less coping up until that point approximately (unless there are incessant screaming children or people touching me in line and then I have to immediately leave), but any more than that and a standard queue doesn't work for me. I need somewhere else I can wait and have a little more control over my environment.

The whole experience was just so stressful and not easy and overwhelming, my wife ended up getting me a churro and we left because I was at my limit (the churro was a reward I had established for myself for trying to do this so I knew I had something good to look forward to if the process didn't go well and that did help a bit so I do recommend having something to look forward to if it not going well will upset you). When we go to WDW, I'm definitely bringing my Duffy bear to help soothe me through this process and I might just have my wife speak for me because I cannot deal with a CM acting like that again.

Oh my! That sounds awful. You should complain...

I would not go in saying I need a DAS go in and say I have a disability and this is what I have a hard time with exsplain your needs and ask then what accommodation they recommend if the accommodation they recommend do not work for you then go back and say this I should not working for me.

I would not go in saying I need a DAS go in and say I have a disability and this is what I have a hard time with exsplain your needs and ask then what accommodation they recommend if the accommodation they recommend do not work for you then go back and say this I should not working for me.

That is exactly what I did, but the woman instead of hearing I need an alternative place to wait for a ride than the standard queue due to my particular issues with a standard queue environment decided that I was incapable of waiting in any line at all or even being in the parks.

I did not ask for a DAS pass. I went in and said I have a disability that prevents me from waiting in a standard queue and was looking for what accommodations they offer.

That is exactly what I did, but the woman instead of hearing I need an alternative place to wait for a ride than the standard queue due to my particular issues with a standard queue environment decided that I was incapable of waiting in any line at all or even being in the parks.

I did not ask for a DAS pass. I went in and said I have a disability that prevents me from waiting in a standard queue and was looking for what accommodations they offer.

Did you ask to speak to another CM or manager?

No. I'm not capable of that. Once I'm overwhelmed it is game over. I'm done and no longer have any ability to effectively communicate.

When you go to WDW (and back to DL) perhaps have your wife help? You do not have to be the one that asks especially if you get overwhelmed to the point that you can not effectively communicate. Your wife can tell them about your needs and why waiting in line would be difficult. I would write the guest relations email with your experience at Disneyland as well because that CM needs serious retraining.

I would sit down when you are not in the park when you are not stressing out and write down what part of lines you have a hard time with, and what will happen if you do wait in lines. if they say no you can always go back latter.

I had the same concern when I recently requested my first DAS pass at DL. Here I am, a grown adult, who seems "normal" enough to people but will be flipping the hell out if I have to stand in line - especially a line with lots of noise - for very long. I simply told them what my issues were, they asked about how long I thought I could wait in line (to which I responded "Depends on the line but probably 15 minutes or so, maybe 20?"). They set me right up with a pass with no problems. And seriously, it was a freaking godsend. I didn't have a single meltdown in the 2 days at the park. Not one. Almost one when the FP line on Space Mountain was going super freaking slow and it got loud, but the rest of the time we could get in and out with minimal screaming around me. Obviously I don't know you, but your symptoms and triggers sound very similar to mine, and for me it was the best decision I could have made.

Let us know how it went/goes - we are all pulling for you. Been there for my autistic son - back in the paper days and with DAS. No issue. Been there more recently with my totally unexpected MS diagnosis. No issue. They have always been pleasant and supportive. and no worries if your wife speaks for you - mine does all the time - DW or not :tongue:.

It actually went really well at WDW. There were no interrogations or telling me that I should probably just leave the park (like what happened at Disneyland). It was still extremely stressful for me and I almost didn't go through with it, but I'm glad I did. This is the first trip to WDW I've done where I haven't had some kind of meltdown.

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good trip - and no meltdowns!

I found an App you may want to download for your phone (I have an iPhone - not sure if this is available for Android, but I seem to recall hearing that it is) for future use.

It's called "Emergency Chat" and if you get overwhelmed and can't talk - but could still text - it allows you to type a message on your phone and then hand it to another person who can then type back, or speak verbally to you. There is a splash screen that you can customize to let people know that you are overwhelmed and can't speak right now.

Congratulations again on such a successful trip! :)

Yay! I'm so glad you had a good trip - and no meltdowns!

I found an App you may want to download for your phone (I have an iPhone - not sure if this is available for Android, but I seem to recall hearing that it is) for future use.

It's called "Emergency Chat" and if you get overwhelmed and can't talk - but could still text - it allows you to type a message on your phone and then hand it to another person who can then type back, or speak verbally to you. There is a splash screen that you can customize to let people know that you are overwhelmed and can't speak right now.

Congratulations again on such a successful trip! :)
love this app I have used it before at Disney

love this app I have used it before at Disney

Did you post about it @gap2368? I know I learned about it from someone here - couldn't remember who, and didn't want to give credit to the wrong person!

It's an awesome app; we have a couple of family members who benefit from it!

Did you post about it @gap2368? I know I learned about it from someone here - couldn't remember who, and didn't want to give credit to the wrong person!

It's an awesome app; we have a couple of family members who benefit from it!
I am not sure If I did not not. I know I have used it one time at Disney , but not sure if I heard about it here or somewhere else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter