Dancing With the Stars - Fall 2017

Wow! :eek: So it wasn't just our imagination or the way the show packaged her, that she really uses and wears her disability like a sash, the way a beauty pageant contestant wears a sash, to enter & try to win competitions.

:scratchin And it would also explain why there was no EMT nearby, on call, just for her condition - if she does not really have a condition that would necessitate needing one nearby.
I think she was absolutely disabled and I have doubt that she does has lingering problems. She was still in a wheelchair at the time that she was swimming. The doctors who reviewed her records simply did not believe she was "disabled enough" to be able to compete in the paralympics. I have no idea what they actually saw, but I think they may have seen that her (then) recent medical improvement pointed to enough eventual improvement that her disability was not going to be permanent. Heck, she went from in a prolonged coma to the paralympics in less than 3 years. I think that Victoria's family knew that she was improving but that improvement made it unfair for her to continue to compete. What rubbed me the wrong way is how bitterly they fought the ruling.

I think they may have seen that her (then) recent medical improvement pointed to enough eventual improvement that her disability was not going to be permanent. Heck, she went from in a prolonged coma to the paralympics in less than 3 years. I think that Victoria's family knew that she was improving but that improvement made it unfair for her to continue to compete. What rubbed me the wrong way is how bitterly they fought the ruling.

Yeah, I think she also did have a very real disability, that WAS as she described. But, I think she was still milking being more disabled than she really is to win competitions. Is this all she does? Maybe she thought if she won DWTS, she'd get put on a Wheaties box and get disability endorsements? So she really NEEDED this win. No wonder why she almost broke down in tears. :sad2:

I have a weird vibe about the father.
Yeah, I think she also did have a very real disability, that WAS as she described. But, I think she was still milking being more disabled than she really is to win competitions. Is this all she does? Maybe she thought if she won DWTS, she'd get put on a Wheaties box and get disability endorsements? So she really NEEDED this win. No wonder why she almost broke down in tears. :sad2:

To the bolded part: I sure hope not. It's time for her to just live and enjoy life. Enough with the competitions that she is clearly not equipped to handle losing in.

No "this" isn't all she does. She works for ESPN.

I remember other contestants over the years that were emotional when they were voted off. One that I would compare with Victoria's reaction would have been the member of the Cheetah Girls, I think her name was Sabrina. While I cant think of other contestants names off the top of my head, I can definitely remember other people getting teary eyed and being choked up, no different than Victoria.

People react differently, I see no harm in her reaction any more than I did with other people who had similar reactions.

Also, DWTS did milk her life story, but what a story!!! Read the wiki page on her. She was in a coma for four years!!!! The odds of her surviving and coming out of it and being what she is today is unbelievable! And as far as DWTS milking her life story, it was no different in what the show has done countless other times. Again, I cant remember names, but there was the girl that lost both of her legs that was Derek's partner, and the veteran who lost an arm and leg and the veteran who was severely burned. DWTS repeated their stories just as much if not more than Victoria's.

Victoria didn't talk about her hardships on air anymore than the above mentioned people, especially the skier that lost both legs!

I think Victoria's time had come, but I enjoyed watching her every week just as I have the other contestants!

I liked Victoria. I remain unbelievably wowed by her background. I can't imagine what her parents went through all those years.

I was forever saying that she was overscored during this season. Over and over.

But being overscored is not her fault, it's the judges'.

And I felt that she did not come off as a victim at all. Heck, she's a lot stronger than people that have very few issues in life. As what has already been said - no more than others' packages about their lives when there has been quite the hardship to overcome.

No big deal to be emotional to go home, especially when she was so close to the finals.

Also, I forgot to say this earlier. I almost started to cry when I heard that her mother immediately took her out of the hospital when they said that Victoria would probably pass away and nothing could be done. And the line that made me emotional was that her parents made sure that she lived a full life while she was what seemed completely handicapped - at the beach, on the skating rink ---- everywhere. Meaning that they wanted to make sure she never became a "non-person" so to speak. It was very personal to me.

Her parents come off as overprotective and involved. That is for sure. But I simply see their circumstance as different. They probably spent so much of her life/their lives fighting for her, when she couldn't. And now it probably plays out a little different than a regular upbringing for all of them. There is probably a much different learning curve to let go in certain circumstances.

Anyway, my take on her.

Last edited:
No "this" isn't all she does. She works for ESPN.

I remember other contestants over the years that were emotional when they were voted off. One that I would compare with Victoria's reaction would have been the member of the Cheetah Girls, I think her name was Sabrina. While I cant think of other contestants names off the top of my head, I can definitely remember other people getting teary eyed and being choked up, no different than Victoria.

People react differently, I see no harm in her reaction any more than I did with other people who had similar reactions.

Also, DWTS did milk her life story, but what a story!!! Read the wiki page on her. She was in a coma for four years!!!! The odds of her surviving and coming out of it and being what she is today is unbelievable! And as far as DWTS milking her life story, it was no different in what the show has done countless other times. Again, I cant remember names, but there was the girl that lost both of her legs that was Derek's partner, and the veteran who lost an arm and leg and the veteran who was severely burned. DWTS repeated their stories just as much if not more than Victoria's.

Victoria didn't talk about her hardships on air anymore than the above mentioned people, especially the skier that lost both legs!

I think Victoria's time had come, but I enjoyed watching her every week just as I have the other contestants!
I agree with everything you posted. The producers are the ones who choose how to edit the packages, not the stars. We know that they go for maximum drama and milk what they can - they pick stories to focus on. Remember how much we were reminded that the PenaVegas (sp?) were OMGMARRIED?? Or how Olympic gymnasts have trouble showing emotions? Or that Donnie Osmond felt "so old"? Val (it seems) comes up with the themes for the dances, not Victoria...I'm sure she has some input, but I hardly blame her for her disability coming up as often as it did. It's part of why she is a "star," because she has an incredible story, and clearly was/is a huge life-defining thing for her.

As for the swimming ban, honestly, I get that disappointment too. Training for swimming events takes a ton of time, it is your life when you're training (especially at that level). Her statement said she felt like the previous year of training had been wasted or something along those lines - how could she not be upset after putting in all of those hours in the pool to be told days ahead of time that she was out of the competition? Especially since I'm sure it's not like she could just jump into competing against 100% able-bodied swimmers.

She was in a vegetative state for 4 years and I'm sure the fear of relapsing is constant and she doesn't feel 100% normal, even if her doctors say she is recovered. Heck, I had a back injury that screwed me up for all of 2016, nowhere near as bad as what she dealt with, and I still worry that a little tweak will put me out of commission again (man did I cringe when she said her body was seizing up - I've been there and that is a HORRIBLE feeling). Again, not even the same level as having been in a vegetative state - I can't imagine the mental toll that takes on a person, let alone the physical challenges she still faces.

I do agree that it was her time to go (her or Drew), but it was clear to me how much it meant to her to be able to dance (after being in a coma for 4 YEARS!! Then in a wheelchair told she wouldn't walk again!! And then she's able to dance - that's freaking incredible!!), so I get being upset that it was coming to an end. :confused3 That just seemed to me like a real person that had a meaningful, fun experience, and was sad that it was over.

Just got caught up on the show and thread..wowza...so much going on! I just love Frankie. He has a natural rhythm that is so easy and fun, in a "you'd be a blast to dance with" way. He has improved a lot in his technique but Witney seems to keep a fun aspect (as much as she can) to each dance which reminds everyone why they like him. Drew~ OK, I will prob get flamed for this but he just creeps me out. I get he is trying to be the leader of the pack off the dance floor, but I just (((shudder))) watching him. He and Emma must get long by virtue of twin-ness or something. Jordan~ I love that Lindsay got him as a partner so she can have a great season of great dances, but again, I am anti-pro contestants winning so as beautiful as they are are to watch perform, hope they are the runner up. That is brutal for me to say as Lindsay is my favorite Pro and would love to see her win. Linday A. ~ I just cannot get past her looking awkward/doofus-like no matter how beautiful or cool the dance is. In the trio, Kristi was so graceful and ballerina-like and along side is Lindsay reminding me of a Sanda Bullock character. (no offense to Sandra, love her) It's the way she holds her frame, arms or something...but she has improved a ton as well. One of my favorites dances this season was her and Mark doing the Tango to Human, but since it was so robotic she was awesome at it. Victoria~ I was surprised she was the elimination, but relieved it wasn't Frankie. With the more frequent medical that was being mentioned, I honestly think it was better for her overall to be eliminated and not put more stress on her body. I find her medical story quite fascinating, but do agree that Val went way over the top making every dance about it. I would have liked to see the ESPN side of Victoria,(more than just the hockey dance)other aspects of her life~ or at least done a dance to Victorious, that would have been cool. Something more upbeat about her than always so sullen and fragile. I would absolutely LOVE a season where they are only allowed 1 dance to tell the story of whatever struggle the contestant has or is having. If they bring it up again, they get 2 points off and can not receive any votes, lol. Example, Frankie had a knee issue and they lightly touched upon a torn meniscus, and that was that. No big package drawn out about it.
I hope Drew is he next to go just because like I said, he creeps me out. I watch his HGTV show too, and it isn't AS weird on that..I wonder if his brother would come off the same way to me if he had been on the show like orig planned?

As for the swimming ban, honestly, I get that disappointment too. Training for swimming events takes a ton of time, it is your life when you're training (especially at that level). Her statement said she felt like the previous year of training had been wasted or something along those lines - how could she not be upset after putting in all of those hours in the pool to be told days ahead of time that she was out of the competition? Especially since I'm sure it's not like she could just jump into competing against 100% able-bodied swimmers.
Absolutely, but what you're missing is that her family dragged their feet in providing her complete medical records until 20 days before the meet. They put themselves in the situation where she would possibly pulled from the meet at the last minute. Of course that would be disappointing and I don't fault them for being disappointed.

I truly do admire Victoria Arlen and I think she is amazing. Does anyone know what she does for ESPN? I have not been able to find anything about what shows she works on or what sports she covers.

Absolutely, but what you're missing is that her family dragged their feet in providing her complete medical records until 20 days before the meet. They put themselves in the situation where she would possibly pulled from the meet at the last minute. Of course that would be disappointing and I don't fault them for being disappointed.

I truly do admire Victoria Arlen and I think she is amazing. Does anyone know what she does for ESPN? I have not been able to find anything about what shows she works on or what sports she covers.

Here's the reel from her YouTube page. It looks like mostly competitive swimming, but there's other stuff there too.

Yeah, I did miss that part. :oops: Ack!!

I guess overall I just don't get the hate for her here. She seems sweet to me...Wikipedia (always the most reliable source of info!) tells me she was in the vegetative state starting at age 11, so she essentially missed out on being 11-15 years old. Maybe that contributes to her leaning on her parents more...she missed out on some important developmental years.

That's a good question about her ESPN career, it would have been nice to have seen a little more about that (as @FINFAN said above). http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/victoria-arlen/ --> Special Olympics and some other stuff, it sounds like? I had never heard of her before.

A quick google search (sorry, I don't know how to make a link, but its easy to find) said she was hired in Dec. 2015 at the age of 21 and became one of the youngest regular reporters ever.

Events she has covered include-
- X-games
-College game day
-espnW
-Invictus Games
-Sports Center
-SEC network coverage

Wiki says she has also done work as an actress and model, but I haven't looked that up to see what she specifically did.

At any rate she seems pretty accomplished. I have an 24 and 21 year old (Victoria just turned 23 in Sept.) and if someone wondered what they have done, it would be college and work. She is young to have accomplished all that she has especially considering she was in a coma for four years of her life and then must have spent x amount of time in PT and OT learning how to eat, write, etc. etc. all over again.

I liked Victoria. I remain unbelievably wowed by her background. I can't imagine what her parents went through all those years.

I was forever saying that she was overscored during this season. Over and over.

But being overscored is not her fault, it's the judges'.

And I felt that she did not come off as a victim at all. Heck, she's a lot stronger than people that have very few issues in life. As what has already been said - no more than others' packages about their lives when there has been quite the hardship to overcome.

No big deal to be emotional to go home, especially when she was so close to the finals.

Also, I forgot to say this earlier. I almost started to cry when I heard that her mother immediately took her out of the hospital when they said that Victoria would probably pass away and nothing could be done. And the line that made me emotional was that her parents made sure that she lived a full life while she was what seemed completely handicapped - at the beach, on the skating rink ---- everywhere. Meaning that they wanted to make sure she never became a "non-person" so to speak. It was very personal to me.

Her parents come off as overprotective and involved. That is for sure. But I simply see their circumstance as different. They probably spent so much of her life/their lives fighting for her, when she couldn't. And now it probably plays out a little different than a regular upbringing for all of them. There is probably a much different learning curve to let go in certain circumstances.

Anyway, my take on her.

Totally agree with everything you have said!

I will just add that when that girl, Sadie, I think (I am terrible about remembering names) from the duck dynasty family was on, I would say that her parents were even more overprotective and involved. I know she was much younger than Victoria. I know Bindi's Mom was always in the audience and usually wiping away tears.

Tom was the one that asked her parents to come onto the floor. Not Victoria or her parents. I think Tom had a soft spot for Victoria. Probably has nothing to do with this, but Tom worked in Boston for years and has property in NH and Victoria was born in Ma. and is from NH. Maybe he felt a connection to her because of that. But who knows!! Ha, ha!

I agree with everything you posted. The producers are the ones who choose how to edit the packages, not the stars. We know that they go for maximum drama and milk what they can - they pick stories to focus on. Remember how much we were reminded that the PenaVegas (sp?) were OMGMARRIED?? Or how Olympic gymnasts have trouble showing emotions? Or that Donnie Osmond felt "so old"? Val (it seems) comes up with the themes for the dances, not Victoria...I'm sure she has some input, but I hardly blame her for her disability coming up as often as it did. It's part of why she is a "star," because she has an incredible story, and clearly was/is a huge life-defining thing for her.

so I get being upset that it was coming to an end. :confused3 That just seemed to me like a real person that had a meaningful, fun experience, and was sad that it was over.

Agree with everything you said, but especially these two points!!

Absolutely, but what you're missing is that her family dragged their feet in providing her complete medical records until 20 days before the meet. They put themselves in the situation where she would possibly pulled from the meet at the last minute.

Exactly.

Here is the overlooked crucial timeline info that was posted earlier:

"Following her classification at the London 2012 Paralympic Games last August, IPC Swimming requested a more detailed medical report into her impairment to be provided within 12 months. This was duly provided by the USOC on 24 July 2013 despite several requests for it to be provided earlier."
The medical records were requested nearly a full year earlier. Victoria and/or her father had a year to submit them. Had they done that right away, she would have been disqualified/banned right away and would not have "wasted a year of training," and had been told only days before the competition. Her actions are on HER.

As I stated earlier, I do believe Victoria's story of her disability, how it happened, how hard she worked & struggled to get well and overcome a lot. It's a great incredible story. I ALSO believe the evaluations of the doctors of the International Paralympic Committee, which is a credible, well-respected, international organization, which found that in the year since her competition, she became healthier and her condition did not seem permanent. It's not an either/or situation. I'm glad she is healthier. :thumbsup2 Hopefully she has become even more healthy & stronger in the 4 years since, as it's not permanent.

I guess overall I just don't get the hate for her here.

Not hate. Why, on the DIS are so many discussions either black or white, either/or, or zero or 100? :rolleyes:

I just find it interesting as more facts, especially medical facts, came to light about her. :scratchin For whatever reasons that it took so long to get her medical records submitted, that's an aside. She had entered into a competition in which she actually was "over-qualified" for. (Kind of a weird way of putting it. :upsidedow I hope, and rather that she IS healthier and physically "over-qualified." :thumbsup2 ) PP keep mentioning her coma at age 11-15. Yet, even to the IPC doctors, that previous fact was not important. Sure, it was her history. They were looking at her then present medical condition - which they evaluated as not permanent.

She was banned as it would have been UNFAIR to her fellow contestants to claim she had as much of a disability than she actually had.

I'll state the obvious elephant in the room: Had she competed in swimming as "disabled," knowing she was more "abled" than disabled, purposely holding back her medical records, hoping they would not be evaluated in time, or at all, had she won, she would have lacked INTEGRITY. If she had won, and the IPC later ruled her win unfair and stripped her of her title, and given it to the second runner up, it would have still robbed the new winner of a real victory celebration at the time of what should have been her win.

You, yourself said:
Especially since I'm sure it's not like she could just jump into competing against 100% able-bodied swimmers.

So you are stating you don't think she could have won any able-bodied contests?

It's now been 4 years since the IPC ruling & medical evaluation and 8 years since her coma. (We have to mention the coma as everyone keeps mentioning her coma.) Does anyone think she would have been cast on DWTS as an able-bodied contestant or made it this far? She was certainly a better dancer than many previous, "able-bodied" contestants: Kate Gosselin, Wendy Williams, almost every body partnered with poor Tony. Instead, she was cast as she fit their "disabled" category, as there is no specific criteria. Yes, her history counts. And yes, DWTS and she milked that story. Even though she may actually be more "able-bodied" than "disabled," while actually dancing, (- which again, I hope is physically her case.)

I just think it's sad and lacking integrity IF both times she entered into contests in the Disabled category, when she was more able, yet also knowing she wouldn't win entering the able-bodied categories. IF that is the case, I believe in a great Maya Angelou quote, "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."

Did anyone else except for me think that they told us the viewers one time too many about how Lindsey S is NOT a professional dancer, never had a dance lesson, here's a video of her hopping around with her violin when she was young, blah, blah, blah? Thou protesth too much, me thinks ;)! Obviously they do NOT want a three man finale (has that ever happened?).

(And if I were ever to have a genie grant me one dance wish, it would be to dance an Argentine Tango with a VERY good professional dancer ;)....)

Terri

Did anyone else except for me think that they told us the viewers one time too many about how Lindsey S is NOT a professional dancer, never had a dance lesson, here's a video of her hopping around with her violin when she was young, blah, blah, blah? Thou protesth too much, me thinks ;)! Obviously they do NOT want a three man finale (has that ever happened?).

Yes and at one point it had nothing to do with a question that was asked of Lindsey. It was like, "Is the sky blue?". Yes, and I haven't had any dance lessons. :rotfl2:;)

I hope Drew is he next to go just because like I said, he creeps me out.

Drew and Jonathan are much different in interviews than on their TV show. Actually Drew seems almost straight-laced on the show. Since they're Canadian I've seen them more on the fly sort of speak. They have this way about them that could be deemed inappropriate to some on other people's shows/interviews. Sort of like pushing the boundaries of an interview at times. They don't get remotely "oh I shouldn't have said that or did that". In fact, they often have to be shown that they are pushing too far. And often it has a sexual slant. Is that what you're picking up?

If so, they both have that way about them FINFAN.

Exactly.

Not hate. Why, on the DIS are so many discussions either black or white, either/or, or zero or 100? :rolleyes:

It's now been 4 years since the IPC ruling & medical evaluation and 8 years since her coma. (We have to mention the coma as everyone keeps mentioning her coma.) Does anyone think she would have been cast on DWTS as an able-bodied contestant or made it this far? She was certainly a better dancer than many previous, "able-bodied" contestants: Kate Gosselin, Wendy Williams, almost every body partnered with poor Tony. Instead, she was cast as she fit their "disabled" category, as there is no specific criteria. Yes, her history counts. And yes, DWTS and she milked that story. Even though she may actually be more "able-bodied" than "disabled," while actually dancing, (- which again, I hope is physically her case.)

I just think it's sad and lacking integrity IF both times she entered into contests in the Disabled category, when she was more able, yet also knowing she wouldn't win entering the able-bodied categories. IF that is the case, I believe in a great Maya Angelou quote, "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time."[/QUOTE

Maybe there was no "hate" on this thread, but it seemed pretty clear that people didn't like Victoria too much. Which is totally fine, there have been tons of contestants on DWTS and other reality shows that I haven't cared for. I didn't think the conversation was black and white necessarily, but it was pretty clear that there were some strong feelings about Victoria. Which is completely fine, but it was what it was if you go back and read.

I definitely don't think that Victoria would have been cast or made it as far as she did without her story. I think that is pretty obvious. I also think a lot of other contestants would not have been cast or made it as far if they didn't have a great/interesting back story. (The young American hero who with his two other friends stopped the terrorist on the train, the military man who lost his arm and leg, and many, many more.) But for years now, that is how DWTS has cast people, assuming the show continues, there will be many more "Victoria's".

I for one definitely see Victoria as "able-bodied". I think she used to be disabled when she was in a wheelchair, but not now. I know she can't feel her legs, but I don't think that makes her disabled. If DWTS cast her to fit some "disabled mode" that is on DWTS, not Victoria. If DWTS asked her questions about her past in the video packages, she of course is going to answer and talk about her past.

If Victoria complained endlessly about not being able to feel her legs then I missed that. Instead I saw her pure joy, hard work and excitement in being a part of the show.

What "both times" are you referring to, as far as entering into contests in the disabled category?? Has there been any question at all that she wasn't disabled in her first and only Olympic completion? I have heard nothing at all that she wasn't. She was paralyzed and in a wheelchair at that point and apparently qualified as she did compete. As far as being disqualified on what would have been her second Olympics, I do agree that it sounds like she should have gotten her medical records in long before she did. Does she lack integrity? Maybe. But, so do lots and lots of other DWTS contestants that have been on over the years. I won't bother giving any examples, because I am sure we can all think of countless folks that were on the show who had made less than stellar choices in their life.

I love that Maya Angelou quote, it is an all time favorite of mine. The difference between you and me (and that is totally fine for us to have a different opinion!) is that you think that Victoria is lacking integrity and I think the complete opposite! When I watched that video clip that someone shared above, with her interviewing special Olympians she was overflowing with integrity.

Again, I felt like it was her time to go on DWTS, I only joined into the conversation to share my opinion that was different than others.That showing her emotions when she was voted out and that DWTS milked her story was no different than what's been done countless times with other contestants. That's all!

Just finished watching. Hoping for Frankie and Jordan in the finals. I love Frankie. Jordan is just incredible.

I think as PPs said, the judges have continued to overscore Victoria, which led to her being shocked she was going home. She had just been gifted 2 10s. Her story is so inspirational, and I thought her first dance was very moving. She just isn't a good enough dancer to go any further though.

And yes, I found it annoying how it was mentioned several time that Lindsey S. has never had any dance lessons.
I think the judges are too hard on Frankie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter