D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I received a Sorcerer email saying "Soon, you will receive important Sorcerer information that includes details of your special Sorcerer experiences and an exclusive link to a scheduling site where you can plan the presentations you wish to attend in Hall D23, D23 Expo Arena,
Stage 28, and the Walt Disney Archives Stage. Once you’ve selected your preferred presentations, a customized Expo itinerary will be prepared for you.
You are able to change your selections upon check-in at the Expo on your exclusive Sorcerer preview day on Thursday, July 13."

Is that a hint that the sessions will be locked in and you won't be able to change your mind throughout the weekend?

So I received a Sorcerer email saying "Soon, you will receive important Sorcerer information that includes details of your special Sorcerer experiences and an exclusive link to a scheduling site where you can plan the presentations you wish to attend in Hall D23, D23 Expo Arena,
Stage 28, and the Walt Disney Archives Stage. Once you’ve selected your preferred presentations, a customized Expo itinerary will be prepared for you.
You are able to change your selections upon check-in at the Expo on your exclusive Sorcerer preview day on Thursday, July 13."

Is that a hint that the sessions will be locked in and you won't be able to change your mind throughout the weekend?
Oh dear lord ... please tell me that they aren't trying to Fast Pass + this thing.

I don't have direct experience, however, everyone in this group and in the d23 Facebook group have said if you go straight to the line after the panel at 10:30 you should make it in.

That has happened in years past, and hopefully it will again this year.

In your case, luckily the princess panel would let out before live action and you'd probably make it for sure.

Please tell me more of this D23 Facebook group you speak of!

I don't have direct experience, however, everyone in this group and in the d23 Facebook group have said if you go straight to the line after the panel at 10:30 you should make it in.

That has happened in years past, and hopefully it will again this year.

In your case, luckily the princess panel would let out before live action and you'd probably make it for sure.
Thanks and that's what I'm planning on unless they reveal further info that indicates otherwise.

And look ... me and my wife are in our early 50s and have done plenty of large Cons in the past even though this is our first D23. If we end up missing something, we'll just do something else and I'm sure that by the end of the weekend we'll have done and seen plenty. I find that expectation management is ALWAYS key.

That's what I was thinking and then someone told me I'd majorly regret missing Live Action...

I guess I was looking at the Live Action as finding out information I'll hear about an hour later anyway versus the once in a lifetime chance to hear the voices of the princesses!
Is that how you guys view Live Action? I'm struggling cause I don't know what they'll talk about!

In comparison, super excited for the Animation Studios Upcomg Films because they mention specific films I'm interested in and musical performances...

That's exactly as I see it - I'll find out about live action (which I don't care much about anyway) right after, whereas the Princess stuff is totally exclusive.

Live Action is actually really really good. They discuss the new Marvel movies (I see them all opening day), Star Wars (new film due in 6 months, so I expect to see Mark Hamill? Hopefully? among others) Also the new live action movies, so perhaps Mulan ? or Little Mermaid? Certainly Mary Poppins. They bring out the talent, only for a few moments, but also include some music performances. LAST time, they announced Star Wars land at Live Action, vs. Parks, which was a shocker!

But I may switch to the Princess panel, it looks really interesting. But more will come out, so impossible to know for sure what I will choose.

Live Action is actually really really good. They discuss the new Marvel movies (I see them all opening day), Star Wars (new film due in 6 months, so I expect to see Mark Hamill? Hopefully? among others) Also the new live action movies, so perhaps Mulan ? or Little Mermaid? Certainly Mary Poppins. They bring out the talent, only for a few moments, but also include some music performances. LAST time, they announced Star Wars land at Live Action, vs. Parks, which was a shocker!

But I may switch to the Princess panel, it looks really interesting. But more will come out, so impossible to know for sure what I will choose.

I'm not a Star Wars or Marvel fan so I'm good with missing that stuff, haha. I'm sure there will be some awesome surprises, but I'd still rather do princesses.

Sure. Live Action and the big Legends thing on opening day are the big ticket draws to be sure. And for good reason ... stars all over the place. That also means that those are the toughest things to attend and that they pretty much have to throw out some shiny objects to draw those crowds down a little and avoid a free for all. It's classic Con management 101.

I don't think it will happen, but I totally keep thinking that the legends panel with Oprah will involve free stuff. I didn't watch Oprah, but that's what I always heard is that she liked to give stuff away.

Hmm.. Now what could she give out to thousands of people in attendance haha.

The Sorcerers in the past have been able to schedule their panels...and change their schedule on the fly. Some are reading into the quote above that changing things on a whim during the weekend may not exist in 2017, but until more information is released - it's just speculation. I think D23 uses it mostly to gauge how many seats they need to save for those guests, but I don't know how they will handle it this year.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any general park touring advice for me? I am not sure which morning we should try for the GOTG ride.

We'll be flying in Thursday, the day before the expo. DL has the morning hour that day. We get into LAX at 6:25 am. Ideally we would hit up GOTG this day, DCA opens at 8 this day and doesn't have the resort guest early hour. But I highly doubt we'll make it to DL by DCA opening at 8.

We'll be at the expo Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Monday DCA has the early hour for resort guests and I've read that it isn't the best to try for GOTG on these days since fast pass distribution starts with that early hour. Tuesday is our last day and DL has the early hour which we'd like to take part in because we'll have a day on our 5 day pass.

I'm really not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any general park touring advice for me? I am not sure which morning we should try for the GOTG ride.

We'll be flying in Thursday, the day before the expo. DL has the morning hour that day. We get into LAX at 6:25 am. Ideally we would hit up GOTG this day, DCA opens at 8 this day and doesn't have the resort guest early hour. But I highly doubt we'll make it to DL by DCA opening at 8.

We'll be at the expo Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Monday DCA has the early hour for resort guests and I've read that it isn't the best to try for GOTG on these days since fast pass distribution starts with that early hour. Tuesday is our last day and DL has the early hour which we'd like to take part in because we'll have a day on our 5 day pass.

I'm really not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

I'd go straight to DCA on Thursday. You should still be able to get an FP if you go straight there, as long as your plane isn't significantly delayed.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/06/a-galaxy-of-stories-coming-to-d23-expo/

Star Wars Land pavilion coming to the Expo. Also, some more parks panels have been announced:

Friday, July 14
3:30 p.m. Pirates of the Caribbean: 50 Years of Swashbuckling Adventures in Disney Parks

Saturday, July 15
3:00 p.m. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts – Bob Chapek

Sunday, July 16
12:15 p.m. Inspiring Women of Imagineering
2:30 p.m. Voices of Disney Parks

So, how do I get into the Alan Menken Concert and Voices of Disney Parks on Sunday lol? I have seen those panels on Youtube, and I would love to see that panel in person! :)

Updated Schedule for those visual people like me:

Panels

Friday July 14

10 am: Disney Legends Awards Ceremony: Carrie Fisher (Star Wars Princess Leia, Mark Hamill (Star Wars Luke Skywalker), Clyde Gerry Geronimi (Disney shorts animator, supervising director for Sleeping Beauty, contributed to Cinderella/Peter Pan/101 Dalmatians etc., Manue Gonzales (newspaper comic Mickey artist), Wayne Jackson (Disney attractions, instrumental in early audio-animatronics, helped created POTC and the HM at DL), Stan Lee (Creator of many Marvel comics characters including Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, X-Men, Daredevil and Falcon), Garry Marshall (producer of the Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy. Director of films Pretty Woman, Princess Diaries), Julie Taymor (adapted the Lion King to Broadway), Oprah.

1:15 pm: D23 Expo Arena Cup O’ Joe panel featuring Marvel’s chief creative officer, Joe Quesada

2:30 pm: Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios: Host John Lasseter. Panel will feature Coco and Ralph Breaks the Internet. Surprise announcements, musical performances and appearances by star voice talent (CELL PHONES, CAMERAS AND ALL RECORDING DEVICES WILL BE CHECKED)

3:30 pm: Pirates of the Caribbean 50 years of swashbuckling adventures in Disney Parks

6 pm: Stage 28 Marvel Animation

Descendants 2: stars Dove Cameron, Cameron Boyce, Sofia Carson, BoobooStewart. Director/Choreographer/Executive Producer Kenny Ortega

Saturday July 15

10:30 am: The Walt Disney Studios Live Action Films

10:30 am Stage 28: The Power of the Princess. Hosted by Disney animators Amy Smeed and Kira Lehtomaki as they are joined by Jodie Benson (Ariel), Ming-Na Wen (Mulan), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) and Auli’I Carvalho (Moana)

12:15 pm Stage 28: Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe

2:30 pm Stage 28: Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film

3 pm: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with Bob Chapek

4:15- 5:15 pm Stage 28: DuckTales Q&A. Stars Ben Schwartz (Dewey), Kate Micucci (Webby), Beck Bennett (Launchpad), Toks Olagundoye (Mrs. Beakley), executive producer Matt Youngberg, co-producer/story editor Francisco Angones

6pm Stage 28: The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters

Sunday July 16

10:30-11:30 am Stage 28: Tangled the Series. Stars Mandy Moore (Rapunzel), Zachary Levi (Flynn), Jeremy Jordan (Varian), executive producer Chris Sonnenburg and co-executive producer Ben Balistreri

11:30 am Walt Disney Archives Stage: Bambi’s 75th Anniversary, personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of the film and its exquisite hand drawn artwork.

12:15 pm: Inspiring Women of Imagineering

1:30 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

2:30 pm: Voices of Disney Parks

5 pm: A Whole New World of Alan Menken

BTW ... thanks to everyone for collating and collecting all this info. You've made this infinitely easier to pre-plan.

So, how do I get into the Alan Menken Concert and Voices of Disney Parks on Sunday lol? I have seen those panels on Youtube, and I would love to see that panel in person! :)

You stick with me and go to voices then run to the later Menken and hope for the best :)

My hope is that people will be tired or leaving early Sunday so hopefully everyone will crowd the first Menken show.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/06/a-galaxy-of-stories-coming-to-d23-expo/

Star Wars Land pavilion coming to the Expo. Also, some more parks panels have been announced:

Friday, July 14
3:30 p.m. Pirates of the Caribbean: 50 Years of Swashbuckling Adventures in Disney Parks

Saturday, July 15
3:00 p.m. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts – Bob Chapek

Sunday, July 16
12:15 p.m. Inspiring Women of Imagineering
2:30 p.m. Voices of Disney Parks

The second Menken show is at 5:30 so you go to that one. I'd love to do both of those parks panels on Sunday. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter