D23 announcements for Disneyland-Magicbands!

mdmost

DIS Veteran
Lots of fun things announced at D23 just now.

Main Street Electrical Parade and Fantasmic are coming back in 2022, no specific date given.

World of Color is returning to California Adventure in 2022, no specific date given

And the interesting one, MagicBands are coming to Disneyland.

magicband-coming-to-disneyland-resort-in-2022.jpg

Last edited:
The announcement does say MagicBand+ so I wouldn’t count on your current collection of WDW MagicBands working just yet… Could be on the new + bands will work.

I noticed that distinction too. It says previous MB will work at WDW but unsure about DLR. Maybe its just the new functions? Either way, it will be nice to have that option. Although we do love our ticket lanyards and will probably still wear them with our pins.

WDW page says that MB+ is coming soon with new features.

If I had to guess, they’re working on an all-in-one payment processing system for non-resort guests. There was no real benefit (to Disney) to having MBs in DL, because such a low percentage of guests stay onsite. With the wide acceptance of mobile payments, I suspect you will be able to authorize and attach a payment method to each band in your family - possibly setting limits for each band. Magic Key discounts can be automatically applied, and contactless payment will be the way to go.

What do magic bands do? I've never used one before. Is it like your ticket...?
Basically an RFID wireless tag inside a wrist band that you can use to scan as park ticket, hotel door key, pay for food & merch, etc. linked to your Disney account. Think of a company ID card or new credit cards that are "tap to pay".

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/understanding-magic-band/

The new MagicBand+ that is rolling out adds lights and I think haptic/vibration feedback to the band as you pass by or interact with different shows and attractions in parks.

What do magic bands do? I've never used one before. Is it like your ticket...?
At the moment, the magic bands for WDW have info on your tickets/AP and resort stay. So at the park, you tap your MB to the MB reader at the turnstiles for park entry, and for entry to FP/LL, as well as scan for PhotoPass. At the resorts, you tap your MB on the reader at the room doors to unlock doors, raise/open parking gates. At the stores/restaurants, you use it for payment (charged back to your room). So it is very convenient. No more pulling up your phone for the digital ticket or wallet for the credit card, etc.

At the moment, the magic bands for WDW have info on your tickets/AP and resort stay. So at the park, you tap your MB to the MB reader at the turnstiles for park entry, and for entry to FP/LL, as well as scan for PhotoPass. At the resorts, you tap your MB on the reader at the room doors to unlock doors, raise/open parking gates. At the stores/restaurants, you use it for payment (charged back to your room). So it is very convenient. No more pulling up your phone for the digital ticket or wallet for the credit card, etc.
Probably a dumb question ( I know nothing about MBs), but could someone else get a hold of your MB and use it? o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter