Current Owners: Would you Buy At 2021 prices?

tigertides

Mouseketeer
To all current DVC owners who bought in awhile back.... would you do so again?

just went to DVC website to look at direct Disney costs: I was SHOCKED.

For 5 days a year. Family of 4.
150 points recommended.

$30,000!!!

When I talk to folks who bought in 10 years ago+, they got a steal.
I am asking non-Florida residents.

when you take into Costs of travel, tickets, etc., does it make sense to still purchase today?

RESALE market hasn’t softened much at all..

A previous DIS poster mentioned their all-in costs was equivalent to paying cash for their current home.

As a buyer from just a few years ago, I would only consider buying more points via resale now. Even friends considering buying now, I don't recommend direct from Disney until the blue card perks are really back - and even then just the minimum needed to get the Membership card.

But like you said, even resale is high .... but at least the dollar is stretched more there because you can get 320 points for ~$30,000.

We bought in 1998 when they opened up Boardwalk as the 2nd DVC option. Would I do it again now at today's prices - depends on how long your lease goes - is it past 2042? We have enjoyed so many amazing vacations using DVC points that extend way beyond WDW. We've done exchanges and even rented our points to pay for other vacations around the "real" world so it's been worth it for us and I probably would again.

I would never pay direct prices, then or now. I bought in 2008 and have added on a times and have 2 contracts in ROFR currently. We get good value out of our points but I couldn't justify it with the prices direct, especially Rivera, I don't see how the resale doesn't go super low there. The whole appeal of DVC to me is you can stay at multiple resorts and I can't imagine a lot of people would want to be locked into 1, except maybe BCV.

I think its hard to ask current owners since we paid less. I wouldn't pay retail now nor would I pay resale which looks a lot like retail just a couple years ago. Now, a lot of members are saying they will buy into the new DLR resort so I guess we shall soon see the answer to the question!

I bought in 2009, but added on at RIV last year another 175 points. So, the answer is yes,

We enjoy going, and the more we do, the more we realize that it is a nice way to have a place in FL that offers us more than just Disney if we want it to, I spend a lot more times at the resort because of it,

I feel like the last two weeks or so even resale has gone much higher since when I started closely following listings in December-ish.

I don’t think I would pay retail due to the resale restrictions placed on the RIV contracts and most likely the ones that come after it. I was hesitant to pay the $145 when VGF first went on sale to members but my hubby really wanted to own there. Now we are in ROFR for a BLT resale for $145, but compared to direct from Disney at $245 it’s a steal

you kinda answered your own question...one of the main reasons direct price is high is because resale price is high. Yes it is hard to justify paying $200 per point, but what if you can sell it for $150 after 10 years?

To all current DVC owners who bought in awhile back.... would you do so again?

just went to DVC website to look at direct Disney costs: I was SHOCKED.

For 5 days a year. Family of 4.
150 points recommended.

$30,000!!!

When I talk to folks who bought in 10 years ago+, they got a steal.
I am asking non-Florida residents.

when you take into Costs of travel, tickets, etc., does it make sense to still purchase today?

RESALE market hasn’t softened much at all..

A previous DIS poster mentioned their all-in costs was equivalent to paying cash for their current home.

It is expensive. The $30k buy in will be tripled with dues. Say you're buying RIV $200 a point for 50 year contract, that's $4 per point/year. Dues are around $8 per year.

And then triple that lodging cost to estimate ticket and food costs. This has been pretty consistent for our trips in Moderates or DVC Villas. That's the budget money spent in WDW not including our travel costs to get there.

The $30k direct contract ends up being tripled twice for a $270k commitment (in today's dollars) of money spent in the WDW bubble over the next 50yrs. That could buy a house, lol.

If they built Bay Lake 2, and had a really good early discount like they did with RIV I would consider it. Depends on what BLT2 looked like, the point chart, etc. The early buyers of RIV that got their net cost per point down around 170 or so (I think 168 was the lowest?).... you can make that make sense. Not interested in any current resorts at direct prices right now though.

I could see picking up a small contract at the new DL DVC as well. Just enough for 4 nights a year in a studio.

Previous posters make a good point about the ongoing costs of using the points. I'm usually 4K out of pocket just on airfare and park tickets, before I even step foot on WDW property. Throw in another 1500-2000 while we're there, then factor in the actual cost of the DVC points we used... A WDW trip is expensive.

there are spreadsheets and charts and people much more analytical than I want to be who can break it down to either be worth it, or worthless.

We bought in 2018. I would buy it again.

It's expensive but we justify the cost because what we get out of it has more value than the money we spent on it.

When my girls outgrow princesses, I plan to sell my resale contracts and literally travel the world on the Disney budget. Cool thing about the resale contracts is that I should at least be able to sell them for what I more or less what I bought them for in a few years.

WDW in general is extremely expensive, but yea, I'm pretty sure I could actually stay in a Bora Bora bungalow for the cost of a Poly one.

Even though we debate whether 2042 resorts are worth buying resale, Orange county comptroller site showed this year already has 14 BCV direct sales. 21 years left at $235 per point! Their property depreciation per point per year is more than SSR BLT PVB etc with annual dues included! We are probably more cost/efficiency conscious and not representative of the overall DVC owner population; nice way to say we are cheapskates by comparison :)

Being a big fan of economical resorts, sure if I didn't own already I would look to get into SSR & AUL etc. And if I maintain my job / income, I plan on buying DL at the direct price.

No

we bought resale 2011 BLT at $95/pt and VWL $68/pt.We are grandfathered to all blue card perks. 100 points at around $8k.
I sometimes want more points. Then I think about the cost and the limited time we have and I cannot justify it resale or direct. We have loved DVC tho!

we just bought a villa on Kiawah Island and that never expires 😝

Resale only for us. I would not pay direct prices at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I’d LOVE to have 250 Direct Copper Creek Points but that price point is absurd. Our girls are going to college in a few years and I could not dedicate our resources to that.

A $10,000 investment in the S&P 500 ten years ago is worth over $30,000 today. In Disney stock it's over $40,000, and in Apple stock it's over $100,000. These figures make the inflation in DVC cost look small in comparison.

Yes, the cost of DVC has gone up faster than inflation, but so has the cost of Disney hotels, and so has the cost of non-Disney hotels elsewhere in the world.

Even at today's prices DVC offers significant savings for people who want to stay at Disney and would otherwise book moderate or deluxe rooms. It's a great value when used as intended and will continue to be into the future.

Under reasonable assumptions my present value analysis shows even the most expensive contracts (Beach Club), if held to expiration, have an equivalent nightly rate in studios ranging from $270-$360/nt. on average depending on season. SSR points in SSR rooms can have an equivalent nightly rate of under $180/nt. (studios) in the low season.

I would not hesitate to buy more points today if I wanted/needed more nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!