Culture trends you dislike?

I would say the culture of going into work when you're sick
That tends to be an issue later in the year when those people have burned up all their sick days as "mental health" days or "I don't want to go to work today" days.

Around my area and demographics it's gun raffles. Constantly, "Hey, gun raffle!" That's how they ask you if you want a $20 ticket because it's assumed everyone buys it because they do. It's almost daily someone is peddling gun raffle tickets for this or that. I live in the world of volunteer fire and you will be working in the area with people from up to 8 VFD areas all selling gun raffle tickets.

Someone else already hit on mine - the pervasiveness of gambling ads now that online sports betting has become a commonly accepted thing. Between the ads and the fact that shows like SportsCenter now have segments and chyrons about the odds, line, etc. for the games they cover, it has sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of watching sports for me. It is addictive and gross, like the previous poster said, and the fact that it blew up during the pandemic is so destructive. I hate that it has become as much a part of "talking sports" as trade rumors and injury news.

I more hate the feeling that we HAVE to go when we don't feel well or we can't afford to live. No such thing as sick days at my job and it's shocking how many people get mad at you and won't wait a couple of days to get their hair done. As a stylist, once you lose someone, there goes part of your income each month out the door. The mentality of people is so self absorbed these days. I had someone quit me a few weeks ago because SHE was 45 minutes late and I couldn't fit her in for another 3 weeks. Her exact words were, "You mean to tell me, that you don't have a morning or an afternoon that you could come in?" So she wanted me to make it up to HER on my time off. Just unbelievable. ok rant over.

I'll go with what someone else said. The "easily offended" culture. People love to be the first one to nitpick everything you say to find it offensive and point it out. It's like they take pride in being self righteous. And let's add Cancel Culture to that list!

Now with people working from home, your at home sick so you can still work... working from home has proved this possible...

My friend had me laughing so hard... She has worked from home for around 6+ years... and there was a memo that came out to the people that work from home..

Here are some of the highlights...

That when on Zoom, or any other forms of meeting there is a dress code, that everyone must be professional dressed in office attire whether speaking to clients or other employees... and she told me that on several zoom calls that shorts, pajama pants and in some case's people had on a just underwear... that one woman had on camisole, and a jacket...she said at some point that she must have gotten hot and taken it off, and what she was wearing under it was see through and she did not have on proper under garments, one guy was sitting in his boxer briefs and every time he leaned back he was well exposed... lol..
It went on to say that the back ground needed to be neutral, one guy had a picture of his wife and daughters at the beach and it was causing quite a stir, along with sports, political, and adult content must not be shown...
Then it goes on and addresses other distractions.. other people, children and pets not be present... which she said that on more than one occasion that someone spouse was in the mirror showering or drying off, or walking around in their birthday suit, a few times kids running in and out, she said they she was on a meeting with a client and her co-worker and the co-worker child came into the room and said that the baby pooped and it was running down his leg, then she proceed to go get him and lay him on the bed and change him... while my friend could have cared less the client on the call was not impressed... LOl... then the cat.. who would lay on his back and groom himself all the while they were having a brain storming meeting... she said that one of the girls was outside and the neighbor's dogs were making puppies in the background to which I almost spit my coffee out...

She said I know that it seem silly, yet all these things happened... Just thought I would share a laugh this morning...

For ever rule there there is something that happened to create the rule... lol

The thing that really disturbs me today is the general drift towards authoritarianism. There is a shift toward stronger control of what people do or even say - and this is pervasive amongst many ideologies, and especially amongst younger people. It's scary!

Last edited:
This entire thread is about people who are offended....

Kinda, but there is a difference in disliking something and actually being offended by it. These days though a lot of people can't tell the difference and anything short of an extreme 100% love or hatred of something is the only expected/acceptable reaction to anything. In fact, that's another cultural trend I dislike. Whatever happened to just having moderate feelings or even being blasé about certain things?

I thought that was a political problem in the US as how the health care system is organized?
I think it's twofold:
It's definitely a cultural thing of showing how committed to your job and tough you are that you would NEVER dream of calling in sick. Part of the whole workaholic/being constantly available/not taking vacations/etc mentality that is valued.

But it's also because most workplaces are set up to penalize you for calling in. So many people feel obligated to go to work regardless of how sick they are so they don't lose their job. Most hospitals the nurses I know work at only allow like 3 "occurrences" within a certain timeframe (calling out sick or being late). So you don't want to "waste" one of your occurrences calling in if you are sick when you know you may have to call in another day if your child is sick or if you have car trouble.

That when on Zoom, or any other forms of meeting there is a dress code, that everyone must be professional dressed in office attire whether speaking to clients or other employees...
It's honestly ridiculous. In addition to meetings, my husband and I have conducted interviews over zoom for both of our jobs. It's mind-boggling how often it seems like you are catching someone off guard. If you scheduled a meeting a week ago, you should have figured out a quiet spot with a decent background that you could go for the call. If you can't do that, you should choose the in-person option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter