Crutches

dhutchin12

Mouseketeer
I am leaving for a B2B cruise in 1 1/2 weeks. Today, I accidentally dropped a set of pots and pans, from a distance, onto my foot. It was immediately bruised and swollen. It was xray’d and luckily, no break was seen. I was put into a surgical shoe and am using crutches to help me get around faster. I think I might still need the crutches on the ship. Does anyone have any experience with using crutches onboard? Thank you.

I'm currently 11 weeks out from an ankle fracture and was given a walking boot and crutches at the beginning. My advice is to plan on taking something to help you on the cruise. If you do too much and push through the pain, there is a chance you will get to the point where you just cannot take another step forward without assistance. Using one crutch on your injured side will allow you to put less weight on the injured foot and you will need less clearance in the halls. Practice at home first because it takes a bit to get the hang of it (or that could have just been me.)

Thank you. I think I’m going to bring the crutches because that is my fear - it’s suddenly too much walking and I’m really hurting. Luckily, I don’t have to hop on them and can put the foot down - I kind of walk on the side of the foot. Luckily, I’ve been on this ship before and somewhat know my way around, but things like the steps down in the theater do concern me.

May I suggest a cane? That is what I used on our cruise and I found it much easier to manage. I had used an electric scooter in the parks, but didn't want that to take up space on the cruise. So I hobbled around with a cane (one that I ordered and had a Cinderella motif with a glow in the dark handle). I found it easier because I could often use the cane yet still grab on to the rails to steady myself if the ship was really rocking.

I had crutches once on the Fantasy. It took longer to get places and everyone asked why I was on crutches. 🙄 We did the mixology class one afternoon, I'm not much of a drinker, so getting back to the cabin after that was fun, lol. I had to wrap material around the place I put my hands because I started to get blisters from the constant use. I had some ziplock bags and put ice on my foot everyday, hopefully you won't need to do that by your cruise. Hopefully you'll feel better in the next week.

I had crutches once on the Fantasy. It took longer to get places and everyone asked why I was on crutches. 🙄 We did the mixology class one afternoon, I'm not much of a drinker, so getting back to the cabin after that was fun, lol. I had to wrap material around the place I put my hands because I started to get blisters from the constant use. I had some ziplock bags and put ice on my foot everyday, hopefully you won't need to do that by your cruise. Hopefully you'll feel better in the next week.
Thank you. This made me laugh out loud (about the mixology class). I just realized I’m not going to be able to handle my tray at Cabana’s. I always prefer to do everything myself. I’m sure it will be fine though. I am definitely going to use the idea of baggies for ice.

Another option if you are far enough along in your recovery is to get hiking poles. You can use them afterwards and they really help you get around with support after injury.

Another option would be to go to your local sporting goods store, or bike shop, and buy some cycling gloves. They are padded and aren't very cumbersome. They should prevent any blistering.

Another option if you are far enough along in your recovery is to get hiking poles. You can use them afterwards and they really help you get around with support after injury.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I injured myself yesterday. So, I am at the beginning of the recovery, but am hopeful that it won’t take too long.

I think it’s okay to leave your crutches in your room, as long as you have a baby monitor.

I just realized I’m not going to be able to handle my tray at Cabana’s. I always prefer to do everything myself. I’m sure it will be fine though.

The CMs are great at helping out. A few years ago I took my parents on the Magic and it turned out my dad was going to have to have hip replacement surgery a couple of weeks after the cruise, so he was on a cane. The CMs both at Cabanas, Palo Brunch, and Serenity Bay at Castaway were all awesome at carrying his food for him.

I did a Fantasy 7 day on a cane, post rupturing my quadriceps and subsequent surgery (1 month post walker and full leg brace). I would recommend a cane with the 4 point stabilizer instead of crutches if at all possible. A cane provides more control of your stability - crutches give people 2 points to trip/bump/kick, which could cause you to lose your balance.
The theater has seats at the back that allow you to enjoy the show without going down the incline or up the stairs. The crew was very helpful in Cabanas, Palo‘s and everywhere with helping get food, access to events, etc.
Good luck and healing vibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter