Cruise Restart: Are you Cancelling or Sailing?

Are you Cancelling or Sailing?

• Love it! Keeping our cruise and booked more!

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • I'm ok with the protocols, keeping our cruise

Votes: 102 33.1%
  • Don't love the protocols, but keeping our cruise

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • We are cancelling

Votes: 57 18.5%
  • Wait and see...

Votes: 85 27.6%

• Total voters
My point though is that people are using the UK 50% as their assumption, and that just is not within the US guidance. The limitation here is likely to be based on dining capacity with no mixed tables more than any other factor.
Occupancy is always a difficult thing to measure. They normally calculate it based on "double occupancy" meaning 2 people per room, which is why ships often sail above "100%"

You can look at dining room tables as a good indication. If they are at 50% of the tables seated, that is far less than 50% capacity. The true measure of a ships capacity is it's lifeboats. You can't have more butts than seats there.

My point though is that people are using the UK 50% as their assumption, and that just is not within the US guidance. The limitation here is likely to be based on dining capacity with no mixed tables more than any other factor.
We have no idea what they are basing their reduced capacity numbers on. They're likely putting different caps on young children (unvaccinated) than adults (probably mostly vaccinated), but our assumptions are only conjecture.

Occupancy is always a difficult thing to measure. They normally calculate it based on "double occupancy" meaning 2 people per room, which is why ships often sail above "100%"

You can look at dining room tables as a good indication. If they are at 50% of the tables seated, that is far less than 50% capacity. The true measure of a ships capacity is it's lifeboats. You can't have more butts than seats there.
Has there been any word on if the dining rooms have had any changes whilst sailings haven’t been happening? I’d thought they might have swapped some of the larger tables for more smaller ones to allow more parties in when it’s one party, one table but haven’t seen anything to say this has happened.

I thought we were able to cancel anytime before our paid in full date and get our deposit back. What is this must cancel by August 9th date? My 10 year old is not vaxxed yet (obviously). I booked the Wish for June 2022 before it sold out not knowing if and when I could get him vaxxed under the assumption I could get a refund before the paid in full date. We're not cruising unless I can vaccinate him. The rest of us are vaccinated. So, I am a wait and see. Even though I am not thrilled with all the other policies, the only deal breaker for me is him cruising unvaccinated. I do not want my son to catch Covid, and people are still getting it on ships even with tests that come back negative before boarding. I know he can catch Covid anywhere, but we do not need to take a cruise. It is the same reason we do not eat out, go to the movies, or do anything else outside the house. He needs the vaccine.

I thought we were able to cancel anytime before our paid in full date and get our deposit back. What is this must cancel by August 9th date?
That's for those 2021 cruisers who are already within the penalty period for their cruise or who booked concierge (which has a non-refundable deposit). Even those people can get 100% back through August 6th (not 9th). If your cruise hasn't reached the PIF date yet and you never booked concierge, then you can still get a full refund until your PIF date.

We're waiting and seeing, we're doing the Fantasy in January. I'm fine with the masks, but the kids club limits are a hard no for us. Assuming vaccines are rolled out to kids as planned in September, I'm hoping the clubs can be opened up fully. However, if they're not or my kiddo can't be vaxed we'll have to cancel/delay. We knew this when we booked, so it's just more waiting right now.

That's for those 2021 cruisers who are already within the penalty period for their cruise or who booked concierge (which has a non-refundable deposit). Even those people can get 100% back through August 6th (not 9th). If your cruise hasn't reached the PIF date yet and you never booked concierge, then you can still get a full refund until your PIF date.
Thank you. I will keep waiting then. I'm hoping he can get vaxxed before our cruise. Then, we'll go.

I had a trip on the Fantasy for February. I cancelled and now have an 8-night stay at WDW instead and staying at the Yacht Club. Everyone has their reasons for either keeping their booking or cancelling. Neither is right or wrong. We have to make decisions that are best for us. Personally, for me, even though vaccinated, I'm not willing to sail with all the restrictions, port uncertainties, cutbacks, eliminations, guidelines, requirements, and uncertainty. To be honest, I'm really starting to have doubts about my trip to WDW in February. Since last year I have now had 3 cruises cancelled and am about ready to forget about it for the next couple of years.

We're waiting and seeing, we're doing the Fantasy in January. I'm fine with the masks, but the kids club limits are a hard no for us. Assuming vaccines are rolled out to kids as planned in September, I'm hoping the clubs can be opened up fully. However, if they're not or my kiddo can't be vaxed we'll have to cancel/delay. We knew this when we booked, so it's just more waiting right now.
What are the kids club limits? I haven’t seen a comprehensive list of changes, though I’m sure it’s on a thread somewhere.

What are the kids club limits? I haven’t seen a comprehensive list of changes, though I’m sure it’s on a thread somewhere.

no nursery, you have to book time in kids clubs, no restrictions in edge/vibe mask required.

We have a few weeks until our PIF date for our Double Dip on the Fantasy in Nov.
We are leaning toward cancelling.
We sail on DCL and pay DCL prices bc of the awesome Oceaneer Club and nightly Broadway style shows.
The drastic changes in both these amenities with no reduction in price is why we are prob cancelling.

Not to mention no nursery - we have a 2 1/2 year old- and no FE.

I totally understand why they are making these changes. If our kids were older maybe we would feel differently.

We just cancelled our 10/8 Dream cruise, although it was mostly due to my youngest not being able to be vaccinated. I was holding out hope, but the timeline in the news has been sounding like there’s no chance of him being fully vaccinated by October, and we’d decided we aren’t cruising without everyone vaccinated. Combined with announced restrictions and the upcoming 60 day mark I was ready to officially cancel this week (I’m fine with masks, but not loving the kids club limit and only one show). Plus we cruise with friends and it’s less fun if we can’t eat together.

We have an August 2022 on the Wish that I’m not worrying about at this point. A year away is like a lifetime in pandemic world.

Uggg don't know what to do. For our November 2021 cruise, the new delta variant is the wildcard.

Pre-delta variant I had no problem, but it's spreading like wildfire in our county among the vaccinated.

We can cancel until September so we will wait and see how August goes to decide. I'm on the Wonder's first cruise after the EB Panama canal, which I am guessing will likely cancel since the Wonder may not cross to the west coast, so we may be the first Wonder sailing.

We have unvaccinated children under 12.

Last edited:
We are booked on the Fantasy in Feb (rescheduled Magic cruisefrom last April) and are in the wait and see category at this point. We just did a two week national parks trip and are going to Disneyland in a couple weeks so totally comfortable with traveling. However, for us the cruise wouldn't be worth it with all the protocols, masks for vaccinated, etc. that they are starting up with. Hopefully a lot of that will be short term, but we will see what the onboard experience looks like come final payment time and then either reschedule again or cancel and do something else. We have one under 12 that hopefully will be vaccinated by Feb, but we would go whether she was vaccinated or not as long as the onboard experience was back to something close to normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter