Crowd Outlook

Interesting. I wonder what the water parks looks like currently
Not this month but I went to Typhoon Lagoon this spring and it felt pretty dead. Lines for food were long but most slides were a walk on. In comparison I went to Volcano Bay over at Universal last Saturday and it was pretty packed. It didn't hit capacity but the water coaster had a 3-4 hour Tapu Tapu wait by lunch time.

We were at Typhoon Lagoon today. Free beds with shades all over. About 60% crowd levels waiting at opening as the exact same day last year.
crazy, so it's either that there has been an enormous shift of when people want to go to Disney, or revenge travel is gone and then some

Th questions is, how long does that trend last. I really am interested to see if the summer crowds have really shifted to fall moving forward
So long as the weather pattern holds, I think the cooler months will continue to gain in popularity.

People are not locked into the traditional school schedules as much as they used to be. People have learned that it is more enjoyable to tour when it isn't so hot and when there aren't afternoon thunderstorms.

The winter and early spring months are just super busy in Florida with snowbirds, spring breakers, events and all that.

This isn't to say that summer will become a ghost town, it just means that I would expect to see more deals to travel in those months and less deals in the winter.

People who traditionally visited in the winter to enjoy low crowds may just have to switch to September.

Last edited:
So long as the weather pattern holds, I think the cooler months will continue to gain in popularity.

People are not locked into the traditional school schedules as much as they used to be. People have learned that it is more enjoyable to tour when it isn't so hot and when there aren't afternoon thunderstorms.

The winter and early spring months are just super busy in Florida with snowbirds, spring breakers, events and all that.

This isn't to say that summer will become a ghost town, it just means that I would expect to see more deals to travel in those months and less deals in the winter.

People who traditionally in the winter to enjoy low crowds may just have to switch to September.
definitely something to think about. Part of me wonders if at home learning started making parents more willing to travel during the school year, when prior to Covid it was almost Taboo to think about. The next few years are going to really interesting, there are a lot of different factors that could have an affect on crowds moving forward

definitely something to think about. Part of me wonders if at home learning started making parents more willing to travel during the school year, when prior to Covid it was almost Taboo to think about. The next few years are going to really interesting, there are a lot of different factors that could have an affect on crowds moving forward
I think the shift toward the cooler months has happening for many years and the pandemic just made it more noticeable.
It's never just one thing that drives these trends, it's a lot of them adding up:

Are more kids in at-home school? Yes
Are more parents willing to take their kids out of school to go to Disney? Yes
Are more schools adopting winter breaks and non-traditional schedules? Yes
Are more people visiting Disney who don't have kids at all and just want cooler weather? Yes
Is Disney offering more events during what used to be the "slow times" to drive traffic? Yes

In the end, I think looking for that "perfect time with low crowds" is a fool's errand. Having a plan for how to tour the parks with realistic expectations is the way to go.

Or course, people are going to keep asking for that "perfect time."

Attachments

• 1685227068823.jpeg
    1685227068823.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 74
If this weekend is indication then it's going to be a very quiet summer. https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando...pected-at-mco-over-memorial-day-travel-period
MCO is expecting 1 million travelers this weekend and yet the parks are quiet. Looking at wait times between Universal, SeaWorld and WDW, WDW seems to be the quietest.

This is from today at MK at 630 pm. Where are the crowds?

There are many that don't seem to want to admit that crowds are going to be lower this summer and I honestly expect it to continue through fall/winter.

There are many that don't seem to want to admit that crowds are going to be lower this summer and I honestly expect it to continue through fall/winter.
Here's a good reason why.

https://planneratheart.com/vacation-spots-besides-disney/

According to Time2Play, 92.6% of surveyed Disney World enthusiasts said they believe the cost of a Disney vacation is now out of reach for average families. What used to be regular vacation for middle-class families has evolved into a luxury trip with pricey add-ons everywhere you look.

With admission prices that change based on demand, a one-day, one-park base ticket for Disney World costs $141.74 on average, according to a LendingTree analysis. However, purchasing tickets during popular travel periods, park hopping, or reserving ride times to skip crowds can double the cost of tickets.

But the disillusionment doesn’t stop there. 68.3% said rampant price increases and nickel and diming have made it feel like Disney World has lost its magic. So parents across the country are making other vacation plans. From wanting to show their kids the world now that borders have re-opened, to showing them the wonder of mother nature, families are saying bye bye to Mickey and Minnie and hello to these vacation destinations
ions.

Here's a good reason why.

https://planneratheart.com/vacation-spots-besides-disney/

According to Time2Play, 92.6% of surveyed Disney World enthusiasts said they believe the cost of a Disney vacation is now out of reach for average families. What used to be regular vacation for middle-class families has evolved into a luxury trip with pricey add-ons everywhere you look.

With admission prices that change based on demand, a one-day, one-park base ticket for Disney World costs $141.74 on average, according to a LendingTree analysis. However, purchasing tickets during popular travel periods, park hopping, or reserving ride times to skip crowds can double the cost of tickets.

But the disillusionment doesn’t stop there. 68.3% said rampant price increases and nickel and diming have made it feel like Disney World has lost its magic. So parents across the country are making other vacation plans. From wanting to show their kids the world now that borders have re-opened, to showing them the wonder of mother nature, families are saying bye bye to Mickey and Minnie and hello to these vacation destinations
ions.

Probably some, but honestly Universal is also sooo expensive. I have priced out multiple 2-3 night stays and such and its just as bad and their passes are so high too now.

But, economy is going to effect universal and other pricier vacations also, I know so many locally that usually do bigger trips that are having to pick cheaper ones since everything else is so high.

It’ll be all year and Disney is clearly worried it would drag into 25. Because they’re bringing back DDP and changing some things people have grown to dislike.

Ultimately anyone that wasn’t being a Disney lover knew the parks would die after the 50th celebration. It wasnt a matter of if, but when. The 100 year celebration isn’t as big of a draw. It’ll be interesting to see what Disney does to get people to flock back. But it may be a while before we see March/April 23 crowds. At least until Halloween Parties and Christmas parties come later this year.

Average attendance might be up, but park capacity is also higher--more meet and greets, more entertainment offerings. More restaurants open for more meal times. Those all have an impact on the "feels like" crowd , which is what most people ae reporting as experiences. That's in comparison to the the "how many people are there" crowd, which is what Disney reports in their financials.

There's also been a seasonal shift over the past few years that folks like Tom B. and TouringPlans have been talking about--increasing crowds in winter and early spring, with decreases in the late spring and summer.
It’s hotter than the surface of the sun in FL in late Spring and Summer now.

Yup! Which is why they need Blizzard open.
I agree, just need to find a way to get more lifeguards to get back to it, Volcano Bay definitely took a chunk out of the previously available pool of folks to staff all of the parks in the area.

I agree, just need to find a way to get more lifeguards to get back to it, Volcano Bay definitely took a chunk out of the previously available pool of folks to staff all of the parks in the area.

Yup, hopefully by next summer. Im sure Disney isn't happy about it since they are losing money not being able to have both open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter