Credit card question

cspowell

Earning My Ears
I am staying at POR and I understand that they pre authorize your credit card $500.00 ... does that now lock out your available credit on that card?

You see, at the end of the week, Id prefer to just pay cash ... dont want any charges on my card if I can help it ...

I thought values was $500.00 and moderates was $1,000 and deluxes $1,500.00. I've only stayed at values. When we check in we give them our credit card, they have never put a hold on our card in the three visits we have made. I use my card to charge merchandise from the parks and every few days I go to the front desk and make a payment by cash. I think if you do the express checkout you don't have to go to the front desk and they will charge your card assuming you have not exceeded you resort limit.

Yes it will preauthorize a $500.00 or 1000.00 or 1500.00 depending on value, moderate or deluxe resort amount to your card....BUT depending on your Credit Card banks policies you may only see a $1.00 authorization (to check to see if your card is active) or the total $500.00 or $1000.00 or $1500.00 that they preauthorize.... However this pre authorization is only held for a limited time (call your bank for that time limit)... With my card it is a 4 day hold..... But this is not a sale or charge. When I use my Bank of America Credit Card it holds the entire $500.00, $1000.00 or $1500.00 preauthoirzation for 4 days and then it releases automatically on the 5th day) It will not be charged until the morning of your checkout.... If you wish to pay cash for your charges to your room key... Make sure to contact the front desk the day BEFORE you check out to make payment on you account ( I have done this in the past and had no problems with that...). If not they will automatically charge it to the credit card of file.... When you check in try asking the cm's about putting $500.00 $1000.00 or $1500.00 in cash on your account... I have never done this before but with todays economy they may just allow you to do that instead of having the credit card on file.... It doesnt hurt to ask.... Hope this helps....

Yes, you can absolutely put cash down on your room rather than a credit card. When I treat my adult children to vacations there with us and they have their own rooms, I do not want them running up my credit card so I put cash on their rooms which then makes it impossible for them to go over what I've "given" them.

When you check out, you just go to the desk and settle your account, they will refund any unused cash to you at that time.

ok that's cool. My wife and I prefer to pay cash and avoid our credit card unless necessary. So they will take any amount you want to leave on the room? So if I want to put up $200.00 that's ok?

Is it mandatory policy for the resort to require a deposit, meaning can we opt to not use our room key for charging, using a credit card / cash separately?
Not as convenient as room key charging, but really hate having monies "frozen".

If not, the cash deposit at check-in is a nice option.

Great post, btw. Thanks for the info.

-Mark

Is it mandatory policy for the resort to require a deposit, meaning can we opt to not use our room key for charging, using a credit card / cash separately?

-Mark

Yes, you can opt-out of using your room key for charging. I believe that they will still need to take an imprint of a credit card just to cover any possible damages to the room.

You can opt out, but charging to your KTTW card is just so darn convenient -- it's actually one of the things I like best about staying at WDW. I leave my credit cards and almost all of my cash in the room safe. And I know that if I should ever lose or misplace my KTTW card I can have it cancelled and a new one printed pretty much immediately -- can't do that with cash or credit cards.

Sure are right, the room key is very convenient.
We've been staying at the Dolphin for the past few years, and were not able to do it.

We'll probably put some cash down at check-in and hit the ground running:)

-Mark

Not at Disney Hotels. When ever we have been there we have had no credit card on hold or we put cash down. We have a visa debt only and never use that at a hotel. We have used cash and that is great.

Huh...the last time I stayed at POFQ they put my credit/debit card on my room key, even though I didn't want it. And they didn't do an authorization hold.

I'm not sure why they would do this on some and not others.

Yes, you can opt-out of using your room key for charging. I believe that they will still need to take an imprint of a credit card just to cover any possible damages to the room.

I've never given a credit card, but haven't been since Dec. 2007, so not sure if that is a new rule?

One trip I gave a Visa Gift Card, and all other trips I never used a credit card at all for check-in or payment, I always paid off the room via disney gift cards before we got there, then put cash or traveler's check down on room. Usually we don't put anything at all and just use a gift card during the trip.

... And I know that if I should ever lose or misplace my KTTW card I can have it cancelled and a new one printed pretty much immediately -- can't do that with cash or credit cards.

Never thought of it like that! Good point. I guess you can put down a gift card at check in the same as cash? Then they just refund the gift card? I get alot of gift cards from online survey sites, so I might have some, but most likely will be cash or traveler's check.

I go every six months and they have never put an auth hold on any credit card I have used. I have no idea if it because I am a DVC member or what. They know where to find me if I didn't pay up. LOL

I'll be sure to just ask the desk if they indeed put a hold on any amounts on credit cards. I'd hate to have $1000.00 for a moderate hotel on hold on my credit card as I plan to use that for other things and dont have much left on it after paying for the holiday lol !

I'll be sure to just ask the desk if they indeed put a hold on any amounts on credit cards. I'd hate to have $1000.00 for a moderate hotel on hold on my credit card as I plan to use that for other things and dont have much left on it after paying for the holiday lol !

Disney does not put a hold on the credit card. They run an authorization to insure that it is valid and that is it. Nothing will be charged to the card, your available credit on the card will not change. The only time it is charged is if you reach the limit for your resort class, or check out.

What if you are a deluxe hotel (that has the $1,500 limit) but you don't have $1,500 of available credit on your credit card? What if you only have $500 of available credit? Will the card be declined or can you still use that card for you KTTW charging ability? How does this work if you choose to do online check in?

They will run your card for imprinting only when you check in. If you only have a $300 balance available on your card and you end up charging, say $600, they will contact you before checkout to see how you want to settle your account. They will not check your available balance when you check in.

The limits they set are just how much they will allow you to charge to your room before they run your card. So if you are at a Deluxe and you want to charge more than $1500, all you have to do is go to the front desk and have them run the first $1500 through on your card and they will start the balance over again. We have done this on several vacations without any problems.

Yes it will preauthorize a $500.00 or 1000.00 or 1500.00 depending on value, moderate or deluxe resort amount to your card....BUT depending on your Credit Card banks policies you may only see a $1.00 authorization (to check to see if your card is active) or the total $500.00 or $1000.00 or $1500.00 that they preauthorize.... However this pre authorization is only held for a limited time (call your bank for that time limit)... With my card it is a 4 day hold..... But this is not a sale or charge. When I use my Bank of America Credit Card it holds the entire $500.00, $1000.00 or $1500.00 preauthoirzation for 4 days and then it releases automatically on the 5th day) It will not be charged until the morning of your checkout.... If you wish to pay cash for your charges to your room key... Make sure to contact the front desk the day BEFORE you check out to make payment on you account ( I have done this in the past and had no problems with that...). If not they will automatically charge it to the credit card of file.... When you check in try asking the cm's about putting $500.00 $1000.00 or $1500.00 in cash on your account... I have never done this before but with todays economy they may just allow you to do that instead of having the credit card on file.... It doesnt hurt to ask.... Hope this helps....
UNTRUE! COMPLETELY WRONG, as far as Disney policy goes.

DISNEY DOES NOT PRE-AUTHORIZE A CHARGE ON YOUR CARD.

DISNEY DOES NOT PUT A HOLD ON YOUR CARD/ACCOUNT.

PERIOD.

THEY DON'T.

I'm sorry for the big red capital letters. I'm not "yelling" and I'm not angry ... I just want to make sure that people get the correct information.

When you present a credit or debit card at check-in to set up a room charge on your Key To The World card, Disney does not place a hold on your account. They do not pre-authorize the charge. They do not make the charge. They don't even check to see if you have enough available credit!

What they do is what's called "pinging" your card. They run through a charge of zero dollars and zero cents. If it comes back approved, then they know it's a valid card on an existing open account. That's all they want to know. They DO NOT check to see if you have enough available credit or sufficient balance to actually pay for the charge. They just don't!
Therefore, each individual guest's individual bank's policies don't even come into play. If your card gets a charge of zero dollars and zero cents, there's nothing that any bank does in response to that. It ties up NONE of your available credit or available balance.

More in the next post (I hate huge long posts :rotfl:).

A room charge can be set up with cash, travelers checks, Disney Dollars, a debit card (with VISA/MC logo), or a credit card.

There is a limit for the room charge in general. If you hit that limit, you can simply set up another room charge.

The UPPER limit is dictated by your level of resort: $500 for Value resorts, $1,000 for Moderate resorts and $1,500 for Deluxe resorts. These are UPPER limits ... you can set up a lower limit if you like.

As mentioned in the post above ... If you use plastic to back up a room charge, your card will NOT be charged immediately, and there will be NO HOLD placed on the account. In other words, if you have $3,000 of available credit on your Mastercard, and you sign up for a $1,000 room charge, you STILL have $3,000 available credit on your credit card; no hold was placed on your card. If you are using a debit card and have $3,000 in your checking account, after you set up a $500 room charge account you will STILL have $3,000 available in your checking account.

If you use plastic, and you reach your room charge limit, you have the convenience of calling the front desk (or going there, if you feel like it) and verbally authorizing another room charge. If you used some form of currency, you'd have to physically go to the front desk and give them more currency to set up another room charge.

If you use plastic, your card will not be charged UNTIL one of the following occurs: you reach the room charge limit; or it's about 3:00 a.m. or so on your check-out day. If you use plastic, you will retain room charging privileges through 11:59 p.m. on your check-out day, meaning you can still use your room charge after you check-out of your resort. If you used currency to back up your room charge, you will receive an immediate refund at check-out of any amount leftover in the room charge account.

Room charge can be used ALMOST everywhere. The snack carts in the parks do accept them (as well as credit/debit cards). The only consistent place I know of in the parks that you can't use it is roving vendors who sell stuff in front of and behind the parades. Every venue at all of the Disney owned-and-operated resorts accepts room charge; the only exception would be if there happens to be a third-party vendor permitted to operate somewhere. At Downtown Disney, some places take it and some don't.

Not all cards have to have room charging privileges. You can choose to not allow your kids room charging privileges, for example.

At any time, you can go to your resort's front desk and get an up-to-the-minute printout of your room charge activity. It will include the date, time, exact location, and total amount of the purchase (if you buy 4 souvenirs at a shop, it will tell the total purchase amount but will not list how many items or a description of the items). It will also include the card number (if you and your spouse each have room charge set up on your card, one card will be #1 and one will be #2).

One very little-known fact is that you can set up two (or more) separate room charges within the same room. EVen a lot of CMs aren't aware of this. If you wish to do this, you have to tell the CM you want to set up a "share." You must use the word "share." If they say it can't be done, ask them to check the front desk manual and/or ask a lead for guidance. I once had a CM tell me I couldn't set up a room charge for less than my Moderate resort's $1,000 upper limit; I told her I was sure I could, and asked her to check wth a lead, and then two minutes later I had my $800 limit set up.

If you choose, you can periodically pay down your room charge balance at the front desk. For example, let's say you set it up with your VISA card but for some reason you don't want a large charge on your VISA card. Let's say you have a $1,500 limit on your room charge, and then a few days into your week's vacation you go to the front desk and pay off what you've spent so far, let's say it's $400, by giving them travelers checks. If you do this, you again have $1,500 available on the room charge. Nothing has been charged to the credit card, because you haven't yet reached the limit and it is not yet your check-out day.

Did I miss anything???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter