CP Transportation

NHSchool2012

DCP Alumni -- Earned my Ears!
I'm deciding whether or not it would be better for me to bring down my car and use that or if I should just use the buses provided, but I have some questions about them..

Is there a bus for each park/area? Like if I'm working in AK lets say, will there be a bus specifically for that park, or are all of the buses going everywhere? I don't want to have to rely on the bus to get to work if it stops everywhere in WDW.

How reliable are the buses, and how often do they come? Is there only one bus an hour, or are there multiples an hour? Also, do they always come on time or are they late every now and then?

Does the CP provide transportation to the bank, store, etc? Or do I have to use public transport to get to those places?

Thanks

There's a separate bus to each park, and there's a bus that will take you to walmart, publix, and occasionally the mall. There's a ton of routes, I think it goes A-K? Or Maybe A-E, I can't remember. But there's a lot, don't worry. They are usually on time and follow a set schedule like any city bus system. Sometimes there are multiple buses for any given route per hour and sometimes there are only one. On your check in day you'll be given a huge pamphlet that has the bus schedule on it, you'll want to pin it up somewhere in your apartment. I know if you want to do things off property and outside of walmart/publix/occasionally the mall, you'll want your own car.

Also, getting to work takes a lot longer on the bus because of having to stop to pick up at both Vista & Chatham/Patterson, plus the routes they take aren't as direct as just driving yourself. But the downside to having your car is having to pay for gas, and a LOT of people are going to be asking for and wanting rides places when they find out you have a car. Just don't let people use you for your car and it'll be okay.

I think the CP buses get you everywhere you NEED to go, but every once in a while you'll probably want to do something outside of that.

DD was a CP in 2011. She took her car down to Orlando and was glad that she did. There were many nights when she worked into the wee hours. Because she had a car, she knew she would get home as soon as her shift was over. There were some nights when her roommates would wait an hour or longer for a bus back to housing.

The only negative with having the car in Orlando was the insurance. We live outside of Chicago and just assumed that since she was going from one metro area to another, her insurance would stay close to what it was at home...Wrong. DD's insurance premium went up about 50% for the 7 months that she was in Orlando. Definitely something to think about as you make your final decision.

(FWIW, our agent told us that if DD had an accident in Orlando and we "neglected" to update our policy with her internship location, they would more than likely drop her once the claim was paid...We paid the higher premium.)

I have to STRONGLY suggest bringing your own car on the program. I brought my car and I occasionally used the buses because my car wasn't exactly fuel efficient and gas was hovering around $3.80/gal all summer. The buses were on time maybe 75% of the time and a few times it seemed that a bus never showed up for a designated time. Depending on the time of day there may be a few buses running for each location per hour.

The buses, like the previous poster said are labeled A-J/K. They each have their designated destinations for example A bus = MK. D bus = HS. J bus = Wal Mart/Post Office. You will be able to reach every work location and every necessary place you need to go via the buses.

The BIG reason, for me at least, to bring a car is the time it takes to get from point A to point B with the buses. I worked at Studios and the bus would take about 15 mins to get there vs 10 with a car. This doesn't sound bad, but consider that the bus went straight from vista to studios. The return trip would take me 45 mins vs 10 with my car. At the end of a long day working outside I didn't want to stop at the Commons then Chatham and circle back around to Vista. Especially if it was a full bus and I had to stand.

Lastly, having a car means complete freedom. There is nothing better than getting in the car with a few friends, dropping the top, and cruising to Clearwater. Or maybe going to the Drive-In in Lakeland to watch a double feature with a friend. You can choose to go anywhere you want any TIME you want.

And that's all for my mini essay :rotfl:, but I just wanted to say that the program is completely doable using only the buses you just need to manage your time wisely.

Do yourself a favor and bring a vehicle. You can rely on the Disney buses to take you to work and help conserve gas, but you'll appreciate it when you want to go off property and visit somewhere other than the walmart they take you to. There is so much Orlando and Central Florida have to offer so why not take advantage of your time here!

Thanks guys for your information! I would definitely like to have my own car down there, but I'm still trying to decide. I don't have my license yet, and I've just been driving with my parents in the car to practice so I don't have a lot of highway experience yet. On top of it, I'd be bringing down a big SUV so it's a lot more for me to handle than if I was driving a compact car.

I know that if I want to go anywhere around Orlando or to the beach or something, I'll have to use the highway, but to get from the apartment complex to any of the places that I may end up working in, how crazy is it to drive? I'm thinking I'd just rather deal with the buses so I don't have to worry about getting to work all together.

I know that if I want to go anywhere around Orlando or to the beach or something, I'll have to use the highway, but to get from the apartment complex to any of the places that I may end up working in, how crazy is it to drive?

Well, the fastest way to most work locations is via SR 536 (World Center Dr.). It's a highway, but it's very straightforward and only a 50mph (?) speed limit. Your other option is to head north on Apopka Vineland Ave and turn left onto Hotel Plaza Blvd. That will run you right into the Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon area and from there just follow the signs to wherever you need to go. The drawbacks to this route are: Heavy traffic in the mid-late afternoon and especially at the times when parks close, lots of stop lights, and lots of tourists changing lanes with no notice and sudden stops because they have no idea where they're going.

I just did a CP in 2011 and I brought my own car down as well. It was awesome cause I was able to pack it up with the things I needed for my apartment and I only ended up needing to ship maybe one or two boxes of things that my parents sent along later. Having my car made grocery shopping trips alot easier plus if the roommates wanted to go take a day trip to Daytona, Universal, Sea World, or another mall or store (Super Target, Mall at Millenia, IKEA, etc) that made it a lot easier. Plus, if I woke up and missed my bus I could always hop in my car and drive to work. I liked knowing that I had that flexibility to be able to do either or.

If I might jump in here.......my dd would love to take her car. The SUV she is using now is 13 years old and we would not feel comfortable driving it down. Wish we could ship it down but makes no sense with that expense. I would not mind if she had this vehicle down there. We were going to get a new one, but decided to wait until she comes back.

The accidents I have witnessed each day I am in WDW is a major concern for me also. Too many tourists, including ourselves, who do not know where they are going or can't read/understand the signs, etc. A 10 - 15 min. ride to a destination is nothing. I can see waiting a few minutes for a bus and/or the long ride at certain times.

I hope my dd has no transportation issues and if she meets one or two people who are lucky to have their car there - I hope that she can get a ride here or there. I have no problem with her paying for gas if that was the case. If we were a lot closer, I would have no problem with her taking her own car.

Thank you everyone for the input - I enjoy reading and absorbing all the information.

As someone who has done the DCP 3 times, with and without a car... IF YOU HAVE A CAR BRING IT!! I live in the area now, 2 miles from CP housing, and I have no problem driving back and forth to work.

You will regret the decision if you don't bring it. Waiting for the bus, although manageable is miserable after a 12-15 hour day.

As far as cost, I was attractions and merchandise and I had no problems paying for bills over 600$ and paying for the gas on my car. It just takes a little budgeting. I did TONS of stuff and never worried about money. I also support myself with NO help from anyone.

BRING YOUR CAR!

AnnaS said:
If I might jump in here.......my dd would love to take her car. The SUV she is using now is 13 years old and we would not feel comfortable driving it down. Wish we could ship it down but makes no sense with that expense. I would not mind if she had this vehicle down there. We were going to get a new one, but decided to wait until she comes back.

The accidents I have witnessed each day I am in WDW is a major concern for me also. Too many tourists, including ourselves, who do not know where they are going or can't read/understand the signs, etc. A 10 - 15 min. ride to a destination is nothing. I can see waiting a few minutes for a bus and/or the long ride at certain times.

I hope my dd has no transportation issues and if she meets one or two people who are lucky to have their car there - I hope that she can get a ride here or there. I have no problem with her paying for gas if that was the case. If we were a lot closer, I would have no problem with her taking her own car.

Thank you everyone for the input - I enjoy reading and absorbing all the information.

Well, depending on where you are, the auto train might be good for your situation. It only leaves from Virginia but you can load everything you need to bring down in the car and that goes on the train, and it ends in Orlando. I was looking into that just so I wouldn't have to drive from CT!

Well, depending on where you are, the auto train might be good for your situation. It only leaves from Virginia but you can load everything you need to bring down in the car and that goes on the train, and it ends in Orlando. I was looking into that just so I wouldn't have to drive from CT!

That might not be a bad idea - put some new tires, new belt, etc. - DH and I can fly home and then fly back down to drive it back up. Nice option!

AnnaS said:
That might not be a bad idea - put some new tires, new belt, etc. - DH and I can fly home and then fly back down to drive it back up. Nice option!

Yes! It's through Amtrak, I think there's a section on their website that explains everything. I know when I looked it was around $500 total for the SUV and a passenger ticket, so about the same as a plane ticket in some areas!

Yes! It's through Amtrak, I think there's a section on their website that explains everything. I know when I looked it was around $500 total for the SUV and a passenger ticket, so about the same as a plane ticket in some areas!

Yes, I have taken the Autotrain once and Amtrak a few times. I just did not think of it. We plan on taking her down and staying at least 7 nights. Not sure about the whole thing though - truck being reliable (don't want to run into any problems going down), taking flights home for dh and I and doing the same thing to pick her up. Are you going down solo as of now? I would not want to do that kind of driving alone, young or older. If she was going away to school for a year or the usual 4 years - I would not hesitate one moment and would want her to have her car down. Not sure how worth it is for four months. Again, I appreciate reading all the input and info. in these threads/posts.

My dd had her car for her CP this spring. She'll be bringing it for her 2nd CP this coming spring. Here are her considerations:

1. She said that taking the bus to/from work in the beginning is a great way to meet people and she intends to use the bus in the beginning for that purpose alone. EXCEPT if she's working 12+ hours or into the wee hours.

2. Yes, she often worked 12+ hours or until 2-3-4am. At that point, standing around and waiting for a bus, then standing ON the bus was a bit much, then being on the bus for another hour? Oy. There were a few times when she was getting home as her roommates were getting up to leave for their early morning shifts -- which meant she didn't get to sleep until almost 8am.

3. The buses to/from Walmart etc were unreliable. She and her roommates initially tried using the bus for those trips, but after having to call a cab because the bus never came back to pick them up or because while waiting, their frozen food melted in the FL heat, she was done with that.

4. She enjoyed having the freedom to go to Universal, to the Florida Mall, out to dinner or for other entertainment options in the area whenever she felt like it.

5. She had no problem telling people no when they'd ask for rides (and total strangers in the CP would ask for rides). Or she'd tell them, "Sure. Your gas contribution will be $5". Suddenly, they didn't want that ride any more. LOL Although, she also made a bit of money when people were willing to pay her for rides to Walmart, Publix, etc.

If anyone does run into car trouble while in Orlando, I highly recommend 535 Auto. It is right on SR 535 (Apopka-Vineland Rd) a half a block from Vista Way. DD had some car issues during her CP. They worked on her car twice, did a great job and were very fair in their pricing...No "Oh, you really should fix this..." to jack up the repair bill. Plus, they gave her a 10% cast member discount.

Yes, I have taken the Autotrain once and Amtrak a few times. I just did not think of it. We plan on taking her down and staying at least 7 nights. Not sure about the whole thing though - truck being reliable (don't want to run into any problems going down), taking flights home for dh and I and doing the same thing to pick her up. Are you going down solo as of now? I would not want to do that kind of driving alone, young or older. If she was going away to school for a year or the usual 4 years - I would not hesitate one moment and would want her to have her car down. Not sure how worth it is for four months. Again, I appreciate reading all the input and info. in these threads/posts.

My mom said it depends on how I get down there. If I'm taking a car, someone will come with me and fly back, but if I fly or take the train, I'd most likely be going alone.

My dd had her car for her CP this spring. She'll be bringing it for her 2nd CP this coming spring. Here are her considerations:

1. She said that taking the bus to/from work in the beginning is a great way to meet people and she intends to use the bus in the beginning for that purpose alone. EXCEPT if she's working 12+ hours or into the wee hours.

2. Yes, she often worked 12+ hours or until 2-3-4am. At that point, standing around and waiting for a bus, then standing ON the bus was a bit much, then being on the bus for another hour? Oy. There were a few times when she was getting home as her roommates were getting up to leave for their early morning shifts -- which meant she didn't get to sleep until almost 8am.

3. The buses to/from Walmart etc were unreliable. She and her roommates initially tried using the bus for those trips, but after having to call a cab because the bus never came back to pick them up or because while waiting, their frozen food melted in the FL heat, she was done with that.

4. She enjoyed having the freedom to go to Universal, to the Florida Mall, out to dinner or for other entertainment options in the area whenever she felt like it.

5. She had no problem telling people no when they'd ask for rides (and total strangers in the CP would ask for rides). Or she'd tell them, "Sure. Your gas contribution will be $5". Suddenly, they didn't want that ride any more. LOL Although, she also made a bit of money when people were willing to pay her for rides to Walmart, Publix, etc.

These are good points, thank you for saying them. I would definitely like being able to drive to the beach or the mall or something when I want and not have to rely on a bus to bring me back. The main reason why I'm hesitating is because my of lack of experience. I've only been driving my parents around for a couple of months, and I don't want to all of a sudden be thrown into an unfamiliar state alone with a big car to control. Right now I feel fine if I know that I'd be driving on small roads, but once I get to a highway with 3+ lanes and exits on both sides, having to watch everyone at once, I don't know how I'll react to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter