COVID Testing - self swab?

For the WBPC, the process we experienced was so casual, I was convinced it was entirely a sham. The nurse barely watched us and when she did, she said the swab didn’t have to go so deep - it wasn’t even deep. IDK.
The rapid tests are only 72% accurate if you have symptoms and 45-55% accurate if you don’t have any symptoms. An article in the CBC said that to increase accuracy you need to swab the inside of your cheeks, back of your throat and then 2cm into each nostril. I’m hoping it’s all done by July 18th but in all honestly if you don’t have any symptoms you are unlikely to test positive. We will probably take a PCR test at Shoppers Drug Mart before we fly out just to alleviate worry.

The rapid tests are only 72% accurate if you have symptoms and 45-55% accurate if you don’t have any symptoms. An article in the CBC said that to increase accuracy you need to swab the inside of your cheeks, back of your throat and then 2cm into each nostril. I’m hoping it’s all done by July 18th but in all honestly if you don’t have any symptoms you are unlikely to test positive. We will probably take a PCR test at Shoppers Drug Mart before we fly out just to alleviate worry.

At the time we did the WBPC cruise, the tests were actually still PCR tests, not rapid antigen! But the proctored rapid antigen tests we took to fly from Canada to the US seemed to require more swabbing than the ones we did at the port for DCL.

So you have to test before you cruise and also when you get there?
From DisneyCruise.com:

For sailings departing US and Canadian ports on or after June 7, 2022, fully vaccinated Guests who upload their pre-trip test results to the Safe Passage website by midnight prior to embarkation day will be exempt from embarkation testing. All other fully vaccinated Guests must be tested at the terminal before boarding and will be charged for the cost of the test. The cost of embarkation tests for fully vaccinated Guests will be $74.00 (USD) plus tax for the initial antigen test, and, if needed, $125.00 (USD) plus tax for a confirmatory PCR test, charged at the time of service. For Canada sailings, the cost of embarkation tests for fully vaccinated Guests will be $95.00 (CAD) plus GST for the initial antigen test, and, if needed, $160.00 (CAD) plus GST for a confirmatory PCR test, charged at the time of service. Completing pre-trip testing prior to embarkation day enhances the efficiency of boarding the ship and confirms you are negative for COVID-19 prior to traveling to the terminal.

From DisneyCruise.com:

For sailings departing US and Canadian ports on or after June 7, 2022, fully vaccinated Guests who upload their pre-trip test results to the Safe Passage website by midnight prior to embarkation day will be exempt from embarkation testing. All other fully vaccinated Guests must be tested at the terminal before boarding and will be charged for the cost of the test. The cost of embarkation tests for fully vaccinated Guests will be $74.00 (USD) plus tax for the initial antigen test, and, if needed, $125.00 (USD) plus tax for a confirmatory PCR test, charged at the time of service. For Canada sailings, the cost of embarkation tests for fully vaccinated Guests will be $95.00 (CAD) plus GST for the initial antigen test, and, if needed, $160.00 (CAD) plus GST for a confirmatory PCR test, charged at the time of service. Completing pre-trip testing prior to embarkation day enhances the efficiency of boarding the ship and confirms you are negative for COVID-19 prior to traveling to the terminal.
Where do you find these tests?

what about the test from walmart
If it's an "at home" test or otherwise indicates that there is a way to connect to a video call to do the test. It must be monitored. I believe Walmart does or has sold the BinaxNOW At-Home test, the iHealth At Home, QuickVue At Home and an On/Go At Home, which are all proctored tests; there are other brands as well but those are the ones familiar to me.

Or do you mean getting a test done at Walmart (administered by the pharmacist)? As long as it meets the criteria and they can provide you with proof, it should be fine.

Hi all,
We are sailing in July and cannot wait. I know everyone must be rapid tested at the port. My question is: does someone swab you or do you swab yourself? We have a 4.5yo son who HATES being COVID tested - he says he doesn't want to go on the cruise because he doesn't want to do the test. :( I'm hoping to know exactly what to expect in order to prep him!

Further, he will also need a PCR 1-3 days before we sail, correct? The rest of us are vaccinated.

Thanks!
Has he recovered from covid in the last 90 days? If you can prove it, he won’t have to test.

since it’s not mentioned, kids 4 and under also have to test onboard the day before getting off the ship at the end of the cruise. This is for cruises 5 nights or longer.

If you’re vaccinated do you not need to PCR test before hand? Do you just have the pre boarding test?

For those cruising in Europe, it looks like they are doing self-stabs here as well.

If you’re vaccinated do you not need to PCR test before hand? Do you just have the pre boarding test?

Antigen tests are sufficient for US cruises for age 5+ And can be done 2days before the cruise. Or do it at port for possibly more money. (No more free port testing for the vaccinated.)

Make sure you are up to date on the current pre-cruise testing options for sail dates starting on/after June 7. It should nicely improve port arrival > boarding times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter