Covid confusion

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
I have been working from home for over 7 months. On the same day I got two phone calls giving a different view on the pandemic:

1) Cases have dropped to the level locally our corporate owners set months ago as a safe level to start adding people back to work in the building. I'm going back in next week.

2) I have a colonoscopy scheduled, and now I have to have a covid test 3 days before, AND quarantine for the three days before.

I have been working from home for over 7 months. On the same day I got two phone calls giving a different view on the pandemic:

1) Cases have dropped to the level locally our corporate owners set months ago as a safe level to start adding people back to work in the building. I'm going back in next week.

2) I have a colonoscopy scheduled, and now I have to have a covid test 3 days before, AND quarantine for the three days before.
:confused3Such is the world we live in now. There are official restrictions and there is the right of individual organizations to exercise any additional levels of caution they feel are prudent. Heck, even within the official mandates the rules differ, depending on the nature and type of activity. It’s all beyond my ability to parse any more. I just do whatever is required to do, in whatever situation, and I’m at peace with it.

It is an evolving situation and many of the rules in place are to protect against lawsuits and not necessarily for the prevention of covid.

There is also the issue of places still using rules based on the science as understood from March and not the science as understood in October.

Clearly, medical professionals understand how highly contagious covid is and doesn't surprise me they continue to be very serious in how they deal with patients. Risks for individual businesses vary based on the type of activities they engage in, how practical it is to social distance, etc.

Clearly, medical professionals understand how highly contagious covid is and doesn't surprise me they continue to be very serious in how they deal with patients.
Even medical professionals are inconsistent.

My dentist still has the lobby closed and is taking temperatures.

My local hospital has the lobby closed, is not taking temperatures, and is allowing visitation to both non-covid and covid patients.

My doctor has the lobby open and other then masks appointments are handled as they were last year.

My wife's doctor is not seeing sick patients, only patients for routine care. If you are sick you must visit the ER or an after hours facility.

If it makes you feel any better we’ve all been working in the office since the beginning and there have been no cases amoung any of the employees. Quite a few have been ill and tested also. We are also stuck in purple, with little hope of getting out.

My dad just had a knee replacement and no quarantining before or after. The hospital also allows visitors now, it did not when he had a hip replaced in June!

The restrictions are more based on how the governing bodies of different states view things. Our governor is listening to his head of health and human services - and things are open. Other officials have different views and things are still closed.

If it makes you feel any better we’ve all been working in the office since the beginning and there have been no cases amoung any of the employees. Quite a few have been ill and tested also. We are also stuck in purple, with little hope of getting out.
We have had one case in the building, and three scares. We have 140 employees. 23 have been in the building, I am one of 11 additional coming into the building. We have had 5 employees lose family members to covid, but they were all out of town relatives.

What's so confusing? Given the risk to providers of endoscopy and colonoscopy (based on known viral shedding locations) they should require a test prior to the procedure - similar to dentist. They are not just regular doctors who are sitting in the same room talking to you (masked) and listening to your heart/breathing etc. Everyone is supposed to quarantine until test results are received and until appointment - otherwise the test is completely pointless.

My dad just had a knee replacement and no quarantining before or after. The hospital also allows visitors now, it did not when he had a hip replaced in June!

The restrictions are more based on how the governing bodies of different states view things. Our governor is listening to his head of health and human services - and things are open. Other officials have different views and things are still closed.
My friend’s husband had a hip replacement 2 days ago, she went into the hospital with him but was asked to leave after he was checked in, they called her when he was in recovery and she was allowed back in.

What's so confusing? Given the risk to providers of endoscopy and colonoscopy (based on known viral shedding locations) they should require a test prior to the procedure - similar to dentist. They are not just regular doctors who are sitting in the same room talking to you (masked) and listening to your heart/breathing etc. Everyone is supposed to quarantine until test results are received and until appointment - otherwise the test is completely pointless.
Well, it is NEW as of this week. It was not part of my endoscopy earlier. Other than checking my temperature and asking questions, I did not need a covid test for the Dentist

I also have colonoscopy coming up in early December. I have to take COVID test 2 days prior and quarantine for the 2 days following the test, including at home. I can appreciate that.

I just wear my mask wherever I go whether it's mandated or not(in my county it's mandatory). I sanitize my hands frequently when I can't wash them. I can't do more than that. My dentist is only seeing emergency patients, so he's a no-go. My doctor takes one patient at a time, must wait in the parking lot until called, get a temp check and answer questions, mask on at all times. My surgeon (the one who repaired my broken arm with a titanium rod last August) is currently not seeing patients for x-rays and to follow up on progress, so I've pretty much been left to my own devices as to how well it's healed and what I can and cannot do.

I'm pretty lucky that just about everyone in my county and town is following the rules. I would like for more people to realize that they breathe out of their noses too, so they need to pull their mask up. I understand that it's more comfortable, but it doesn't protect you or anybody else.

I would like for more people to realize that they breathe out of their noses too, so they need to pull their mask up.
Yes, so this!

My (regular) dentist takes temperatures and you fill out a questionnaire when you check in. Only 2 people max in the waiting room. One person at a time in the back. Rinse with hydrogen peroxide before procedure starts, and he double checks the questionnaire before starting. He wears mask, face shield, gown and double gloves.

Oral surgeon, only 2 people at a time in waiting room, answer questions on questionnaire. First surgery, he was wearing the full protective set up, like my regular dentist. This last time, he didn't have it all on (only had mask and gloves), but he could have put the rest on on after I was out.

Doctor/hospital, no one goes in without an appointment, checking temperature outside at door and ask the standard COVID questions before allowing you in. Most doctors are doing telephone/zoom appointments. Hospital visits, only one visitor, fully gowned/masked for short visits.

I'm still confused about why we had to close schools in March, but now that cases are at an all-time high in Pennsylvania we are in school? And every day I am working with children who are clearly sick with snot running down their face...during a pandemic.
I have 2 competing theories on this:
1. In March much less was known so a lot of places shut things down until they could learn more. Our level of understanding of Covid19 has increased exponentially and some feel that we know enough to limit transmission and risk. Testing is also much higher than it was in March so it is possible the data set from that time period is not complete.
2. A lot of people have fatigue from the restrictions and consider risks acceptable today that they thought were unacceptable 7 months ago.

TBH, I don't think the staff are considered enough in the decision regarding putting kids back in schools. Kids generally do not get severe symptoms but teachers and other staff could easily be in a higher risk category.

My husband was “exposed” at work. He was told
He couldn’t go back till he got a negative test. Fine done. He called coworkers and all were told something different. One had to quarantine for 14 days. One other was fine to go back. It’s ridiculous

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter