• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
To remind one that not all Air Traffic is not passenger based is insulting not conversing.
With all due respect no it isn't and it wasn't meant to be and following the conversation that had been going on I have no idea how what I said could be perceived as insulting, that seems to be reading into something that truly wasn't there on my part :flower3:

I'm jumping off I've got time to spend with my husband who has been able to take the last half of the day before Thanksgiving. Enjoy your day :)

They should be fined heavily for doing so. The people protesting outside should be fined too for being over the gathering limit, not wearing masks and not social distancing.
I think we need to keep in mind that mandates/regulations without enforcement are meaningless. If something is vital enough to mandate, there must be some real threat of consequences for non-compliance. At this point, I see it as a real problem because almost every locality nation-wide has extensive restrictions that are up to the various provincial and municipal jurisdictions to enforce, which in some cases is just logistically impossible, or at least it has been up to now.

There were more flights in the air yesterday at 12PM than there were on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in 2018.

2018: 6815
2019: 7630
2020: 6972

source: Flightradar24

I think we need to keep in mind that mandates/regulations without enforcement are meaningless. If something is vital enough to mandate, there must be some real threat of consequences for non-compliance. At this point, I see it as a real problem because almost every locality nation-wide has extensive restrictions that are up to the various provincial and municipal jurisdictions to enforce, which in some cases is just logistically impossible, or at least it has been up to now.

There was a protest last weekend in a town outside of Winnipeg. Fines were handed out for gathering. A church in a small community got fined because they held a church service with over 100 people. The minister was fined as well as the participants. Manitoba is not messing around with this. The town with the protest two weeks ago now has a positivity rate of 40%. Cause and effect...

So, our Premiere and main Doctor are recommending household only Christmas. It’s not an order yet, but I bet it’s coming.

This news is what broke me, and just had a bit of a boo hoo. We’ve been doing everything right since this started and because of some idiots, I won’t get to see my daughter. I won’t get to see my siblings or their families. I haven’t seen my brother who lives in Toronto for over a year.

I know everyone feels the same, but we’ve had a rough couple of Christmases and I was so looking forward to this one.

COVID 19 SUUUUUUUUCKS
As of yesterday in Alberta we are officially prohibited from having anyone in our homes other than the full-time residents, with the exception of personal care and service workers. No social visits of any kind or any size - none. Theoretically it's a 21 day mandate but realistically, it's unlikely to ease immediately on December 23. Me and mine have already been in touch and it's unanimously decided nobody is getting together for Christmas. I was most concerned about my sister and her husband (both in their early 70's) who live 500 miles away back in our hometown and are very isolated there now. We saw them at Thanksgiving for the first time in over a year and boy, have they aged without their various activities and causes to keep them up and going. Fortunately, she is taking the Christmas thing very well and I was actually quite encouraged after talking to her. The writing was on the wall a while ago for our normal Christmas festivities here in Calgary so at least we don't have any parties to cancel.
It really depends on how the place formulated their orders in the U.S. It's a very delicate situation but protesting is one thing that is not black and white cut and dried in the U.S. Arrests and fines on protestors even if legally allowable are simply not popular even whilst it being a public health issue.

ETA: That makes me wonder how is that handled in various provinces in Canada right now? I'm not really up and up on that part (just about everything in the protesting front has been heavily focused on the U.S.)
Ummm, of late Canada does not have a great track record for decisively dealing with protestors of any kind. Back in early 2020, many important roadways, bridges and the entire national rail line were completely shut-down and held hostage by (illegal) protesters relating to various environmental issues and native land claims. Not one single jurisdiction (federal, provincial or municipal) had the stomach to tear down blockades or arrest protesters and the chaos was on-going for months. Had it not been for Covid, who knows but they still might be there?
In Canada our Prime Minister's father is documented to have said: "Just watch me!" At the time the enemy was a terrorist group, not a deadly virus. Our Premier of Ontario has the majority of we Canadians supporting the decision he is facing . Heightened now by other defiant followers copycating this restaurant owner's idiocy.
For the sake of historical accuracy and so as not to mislead our international friends, bear in mind, this wasn't just something he decided to do one day and did it. He invoked the War Measures Act which required the assent of Parliament and authorized a very specific set of actions that were clearly defined in legislation. There is absolutely nothing about Covid that meets the criteria for another invocation of the War Measures Act and the country is already in a declared State of National Emergency, which itself has defined limits to the measures that can be taken.

Last edited:
If they aren't following social distancing and wearing masks they can.
I've flown a few times. Everyone masked up and distanced in the airport. Some airlines distance but others don't. Have there been many cases reported due to flying?

The problem with the your argument and everyone like it is due to how little contact tracing happens we will never know the answer.
I'm not arguing. I only stated my experience. Folks complied with the rules in place. I haven't seen info claiming widespread infections from flying.

As of yesterday in Alberta we are officially prohibited from having anyone in our homes other than the full-time residents, with the exception of personal care and service workers. No social visits of any kind or any size - none. Theoretically it's a 21 day mandate but realistically, it's unlikely to ease immediately on December 23. Me and mine have already been in touch and it's unanimously decided nobody is getting together for Christmas. I was most concerned about my sister and her husband (both in their early 70's) who live 500 miles away back in our hometown and are very isolated there now. We saw them at Thanksgiving for the first time in over a year and boy, have they aged without their various activities and causes to keep them up and going. Fortunately, she is taking the Christmas thing very well and I was actually quite encouraged after talking to her. The writing was on the wall a while ago for our normal Christmas festivities here in Calgary so at least we don't have any parties to cancel.

Ummm, of late Canada does not have a great track record for decisively dealing with protestors of any kind. Back in early 2020, many important roadways, bridges and the entire national rail line were completely shut-down and held hostage by (illegal) protesters relating to various environmental issues and native land claims. Not one single jurisdiction (federal, provincial or municipal) had the stomach to tear down blockades or arrest protesters and the chaos was on-going for months. Had it not been for Covid, who knows but they still might be there?

For the sake of historical accuracy and so as not to mislead our international friends, bear in mind, this wasn't just something he decided to do one day and did it. He evoked the War Measures Act which required the assent of Parliament and authorized a very specific set of actions that were clearly defined in legislation. There is absolutely nothing about Covid that meets the criteria for another evocation the War Measures Act and the country is already in a declared State of National Emergency, which itself has defined limits to the measures that can be taken.

Agree, I was not alluding to implementing another War Measures Act for Covid threat. I was expressing that our government will show their might against mandated violations, although I concede it is a slow process. I agree with your last sentence as the Health and Safety of a nation is paramount too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_watch_me

Last edited:
Agree, I was not alluding to implementing another War Measures Act for Covid threat. I was expressing that our government will show their might against mandated violations, although I concede it is a slow process. I agree with your last sentence as the Health and Safety of a nation is paramount too.
:goodvibes I didn't want anybody left with the impression that we have the type of system where the Prime Minister has supreme power to just do whatever he wants.

Good. I hope they throw the book at him. Too many are making this a lot harder then this needs to be

His take out/dine in from the get go netted him enough profit to open another or two more locations. ALSO, he has no restaurant business licencing for any of them. :headache:

Last edited:
Apparently, his take out/dine in from the get go netted him enought profit to open another or two more locations. ALSO, he has no restaurant business licensing for any other them. :headache:
Yet so many defend him. Think he's a hero

Today Victoria has reached 28 days of zero cases. As this is 2 incubation cycles, it means we have officially reached the epidemiological criteria for elimination of community transmission! :banana:

Realistically, we won't be able to continue this streak until we get a vaccine (or vaccines as it will likely be), especially once hotel quarantine re-opens next month. However, with the improvements made to our contact tracing system and such low levels in the community, we should hopefully be able to handle it. In the meantime, we will be able to enjoy a relatively normal Christmas and summer!

Today Victoria has reached 28 days of zero cases. As this is 2 incubation cycles, it means we have officially reached the epidemiological criteria for elimination of community transmission! :banana:

Realistically, we won't be able to continue this streak until we get a vaccine (or vaccines as it will likely be), especially once hotel quarantine re-opens next month. However, with the improvements made to our contact tracing system and such low levels in the community, we should hopefully be able to handle it. In the meantime, we will be able to enjoy a relatively normal Christmas and summer!

So very happy for you. The hard work and determination has shone through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter