Could DCL possibly do this?

hmmm... This thread does have me thinking. When my Italy/Greece cruise cancelled this past June, I took the refund. I am glad I did. I had already booked a similar cruise for 2021 with a deposit. All I know is I will not be PIF on any cruise in the future unless things settle.

Live Action Mulan coming to Disney + instead of waiting on theaters.
Coming to Disney+ with a $30 rental fee for 24 hours so they will still be making their theatre profits!

I have currently got money with 4 companies due to cancelled holidays. One at least has filed a chapter 15 bankruptcy but I'm sticking with them as I don't think they will go under. I am lucky that the money I have invested in these trips was already factored into savings but I feel very nervous if I'm honest. There is part of me that thinks I should ask for refunds but then I also want the new trips so don't want to cancel just yet. ATOL will cover us for a lot of this as we are from the UK but it is worrying times. In terms of the question on would I sail again if I lost my money through them I wouldn't trust them not to do the same thing if something went wrong. I'm putting my faith in them currently but to me if you restructure and take money from those people who are trying to help you by keeping reservations and allowing future credit then how can you trust them going forward? Whats to say there wont be another incident (please God no!). I would need a substantial reason to trust them again.

I don't know about everyone. I think that would be pretty rare to lose to money to a bankruptcy. I know I never have and I don't know of anyone that has.
Maybe not everyone, but everyone of us likely has done business with a company that went bankrupt and others lost money.

They absolutely could do that legally. I think that would bring irreparable harm to the Disney brand, between the people burned and the bad press they would get. My guess is that if DCL had to restructure they would go with either FCC or Disney gift cards as repayment for cruises that cant happen. If DCL shuttered entirely, I still think they would do Disney Gift Cards. It isnt nearly as good as repayment but it is an offer of goodwill that would help protect their brand.

I think (maybe its just hope) the big lines can weather several more months of this, but if we are looking at more than a year more of no sail orders then I'd be shocked if we didnt lose someone. I think the big lines will try to bail out the little lines under their brand but it may not happen depending just how far into the pandemic the small line goes under.

I am at the point where I am wondering what cruising will look like after this. Both because of how much trouble the companies are in and because of what new precautions may need to be built into cruising for customers to be confident in the experience. The large , pack 'em in, cheap fare party boat cruises might be gone for a long time, no $59 for a week of cruising Carnival anymore. I can easily see fares doubling (an no cheapie deals) and cruising becoming more of an elite vacation.

Coming to Disney+ with a $30 rental fee for 24 hours so they will still be making their theatre profits!

My understanding is that you will have access to that rental as long as you are a Disney+ subscriber. Which is still kind of crappy IMO but far better than 24 hours.

I put in for my refund and it should be like two-three weeks for it to re-appear back onto my gift cards.

It's far far far less of a risk with DCL, they have very large Corporate structure behind them that while it is multi layered and vast, it more than can support losses that the cruise line might encounter for a while before they would have to consider any thing close to bankruptcy or completely folding. With 3 ships (I know everyone's speculating that they will cancel the 2 remaining to be built or scrap all 3) coming online in the future, and also that they're planning significant changes for the existing fleet (re-configurations to accommodate for Covid-19 safety protocols and social distancing) during the shut down indicates that DCL is in it for the long haul and will come back when they can. So considering this avenue for DCL just isn't practical or logical.
Let's not forget the first name on each ship. That brand is known by 99%+ of their potential audience, and that brand is the reason why DCL charges double what the other cruise lines charge. (You can point out the extra amenities, but again, that points back to the Disney name, where everyone recognizes they provide a premium product though at a premium price.)

No matter what happens with DCL, your deposits are as safe with Disney as they are with your FDIC-insured bank. Disney cannot afford to have customers lose their money through this, because that move would tarnish their brand. They can't allow that to happen because it would, in turn, tarnish their entertainment and amusement properties. That's not to say that DCL would never go through bankruptcy; that might be necessary to restructure contracts. But your deposits would be made safe by the parent Disney corporate structure. Disney magic guarantees it.

your deposits are as safe with Disney as they are with your FDIC-insured bank.
I think the fed would laugh at me if I tried to say that with my deposit. :scratchin But you probably are right, but I did go ahead and cancel, lol.

Maybe not everyone, but everyone of us likely has done business with a company that went bankrupt and others lost money.
For sure! The place where we ordered our baby furniture from went bankrupt and closed. We were able to get our money back because we paid by credit card but the people who paid cash were SOL

I don't know about everyone. I think that would be pretty rare to lose to money to a bankruptcy. I know I never have and I don't know of anyone that has.

We lost quite a lot of money when a company we invested in went bankrupt. It has happened to my brother as well. Do I think I think it would happen with DCL? No, not even if they filed. I think it would have a very negative impact on their brand and would affect other segments of Disney’s business.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter