Couch to 5k

Buffy - you can do it! Marc - thanks for sharing your story and pics...you look great and your story is definitely fuel for the fire that we're all gathered around, on this thread!

Wow, Marc! What a great transformation you made! Hooray for all of us making big changes in our health and in our bodies. :cool1:

OK so I don't recommend this but it's crunch time for me since the race is Saturday. But I did the 20 minutes and then I went ahead and finished it out as a 5k!!!! I wanted to see if I could do it.
I ran for 48 minutes and 42 seconds!!!!! It put me at a 15:13 pace. I am soooo stoked!!!

I felt pretty good the whole time too. I put icy hot on my shins before I started since that seems to be a major issue for me and it really helped. My legs don't hurt at all. I did get a stitch in my side at mile 1 but I just pushed through it. The last 1/2 mile was the hardest and I wanted to quit but there was no way I was coming here and saying I almost did a 5K.

I did a freakin 5K!!!!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

OK so I don't recommend this but it's crunch time for me since the race is Saturday. But I did the 20 minutes and then I went ahead and finished it out as a 5k!!!! I wanted to see if I could do it.
I ran for 48 minutes and 42 seconds!!!!! It put me at a 15:13 pace. I am soooo stoked!!!

I felt pretty good the whole time too. I put icy hot on my shins before I started since that seems to be a major issue for me and it really helped. My legs don't hurt at all. I did get a stitch in my side at mile 1 but I just pushed through it. The last 1/2 mile was the hardest and I wanted to quit but there was no way I was coming here and saying I almost did a 5K.

You Rock!!!!!! :cool1:

Is the icyhot because you get shin splints or pain on the outside of your lower calves? I will give this a try for myself if it works as I have no idea how to stretch the outside of my lower calves. :confused3

I'm jumping in with you guys!! Any advice for a Week 1 Day 1???? :lmao: I was NEVER a runner in high school but I do like to walk! How do you know when to take it easy or when to push yourself?

Thanks!!:goodvibes

Mostly Shin splints but I do get calf soreness too. My calfs are pretty solid from roller skating most of my life.
My friends DD is a runner in high school and she icy hots her legs before an event, I figured it couldn't hurt.
The best calf stretches I've done are when you stand, then put the right foot out in front on the heel. Keeping your left foot flat, squat down. You should feel your calf stretch out.
I also do a stair drop. Stand on the first step on just your toes. Drop your heels down til you feel the stretch. Just don't drop to far or it could harm your fasciitis. My podiatrist told me that when I was battling plantar fasciitis.

I'm jumping in with you guys!! Any advice for a Week 1 Day 1???? :lmao: I was NEVER a runner in high school but I do like to walk! How do you know when to take it easy or when to push yourself?

Week 1 day 1. Take it easy. It's not a race to the finish. Pick a speed where you can still carry on a conversation without being winded. I started with a 3 mph walk and a 3.5 mph run. I'm now up to a 3.5 walk and 4.0 run.
Don't worry if you need to repeat weeks. I repeated week 3 and week 4.

I like the C25K app from bluefin software, LLC. It gives vocal cues and you can add music. I really like the vocal cues for motivation.

The best advice I've been given, and the best advice I'll pass along - follow the program. :) I've never been a runner and hated running, but week 1 was so gentle and easy that I felt invincible. I felt I could keep running far longer than the program suggested, but after hearing from many people who'd done too much too soon and got hurt, I stuck to the plan. It didn't take long before the program was really rough and challenging. BernardandMissBianca also had some great advice too!

I did Week 4 Day 1 today and jogged for 3 and 5 minutes TWICE :cool1:. No huffing. but I thought my legs were going to fall off, LOL. I came home, stretched and iced my knee. Time for some nice ibuprofen and call it a night :).

Whoo-Double-Hoo! Congratulations :). I am thinking about signing up for one in a month.

I like the C25K app from bluefin software, LLC. It gives vocal cues and you can add music. I really like the vocal cues for motivation.
I use podcasts with the music and the cues already in them. I usually use the ones from Podrunner Intervals which has a techno flavor but I'm not too fussy about the music. I run Runkeeper in the background which tells me my pace and eventually how far I have gone. I'll take a look at the C25K app. It might be good for later on when I run the race so I can insert my own music.

:cheer2::woohoo: Awesome!!!

I use the C25K app on my iPhone too and I love it. I needed something that would just tell me what to do rather than having to keep looking at my phone or a watch. SO much easier. It plays my music and interrupts to tell me when to walk and run. Of course, now I'm pretty much at all running in week 8, but waiting for that voice to say 5 minutes left is motivating. It publishes my runs to my Facebook page too, which means everyone knows I am doing this, motivation to keep going. Can't quit now. :)

Marc - thanks for the pictures and sharing your story.

Buffy - way to go on the 5K! You rock!

Daemom - Like others here - I would recommend starting slow and flow the program. I have restarted due to my work/travel schedule. My husband started with me too. He tried to run too fast and wore himself out.

After restarting - I did W1D2 yesterday. It went okay -- but I think I mostly needed to get some work frustration out. I meet with a personal trainer today at the gym.

Marc, those pics are definitely inspirational. You look awesome! Congrats, and thanks for sharing with us!

Buffy--Way to go! That is WAYYY awesome!! I admire your determination! You are going to have a fabulous race!

Reading everyone about everyone else's positive runs has me feeling kind of down though. The hubby and I tried Day 2 of Week 4 last night and it didn't go a bit better. Well, except for the fact that I didn't fall this time. To begin with, I didn't realize that I had accidentally set the app to Week 1, Day 1--and I didn't figure it out until I'd been running a couple of minutes. So, I switched to the right week and day and just started with the first 5 minute run. I couldn't even finish. I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. Up until now, I've been able to finish each one. But now I have the hardest time breathing. I'm getting so irritated!:mad: I know that it wasn't this hard before! I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and the only thing I can think of is what I'm eating. I've noticed before that if I eat a lot of heavy carbs it makes it hard for me to breathe. Which is why I totally don't understand carb loading the night before a race. Anyone else have/had this problem? I don't want to give up, but man this is really annoying!:headache:

Just did week 1 day 3 today. I can already see an improvement in my running. On W1D2 I was huffing and wanted to quit, but with todays run I finished smiling.

I'm hoping to stick with this to get in shape. I'm only 18 but I get exhausted just doing simple things sometimes and find myself breathing hard after just walking up some stairs. Its time for a change.

Marc, those pics are definitely inspirational. You look awesome! Congrats, and thanks for sharing with us!

Buffy--Way to go! That is WAYYY awesome!! I admire your determination! You are going to have a fabulous race!

Reading everyone about everyone else's positive runs has me feeling kind of down though. The hubby and I tried Day 2 of Week 4 last night and it didn't go a bit better. Well, except for the fact that I didn't fall this time. To begin with, I didn't realize that I had accidentally set the app to Week 1, Day 1--and I didn't figure it out until I'd been running a couple of minutes. So, I switched to the right week and day and just started with the first 5 minute run. I couldn't even finish. I honestly don't know what is wrong with me. Up until now, I've been able to finish each one. But now I have the hardest time breathing. I'm getting so irritated!:mad: I know that it wasn't this hard before! I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and the only thing I can think of is what I'm eating. I've noticed before that if I eat a lot of heavy carbs it makes it hard for me to breathe. Which is why I totally don't understand carb loading the night before a race. Anyone else have/had this problem? I don't want to give up, but man this is really annoying!:headache:

Don't get discouraged...are you going too fast maybe? I was going to fast at first and it was really tough. When I slowed down it was much better. My pace is really slow, but I'm not gonna worry about that till later.

So, beautiful day and I set out to get a day in and half-way through I can hardly breathe...turns out the pollen levels for birch and maple are off the charts and I guess I have issues! I was really discouraged but went home, took my puffer twice (rarely have to do this) and within 10 minutes I was on the elliptical and finished up my day. I felt so much better about myself and this path I am on. I was also surprised that I carried on a conversation for six minutes on the phone with an insurance agent while on the elliptical. Looking forward to what the next few workouts hold...I am okay if they are uneventful. :rotfl:

Don't get discouraged...are you going too fast maybe? I was going to fast at first and it was really tough. When I slowed down it was much better. My pace is really slow, but I'm not gonna worry about that till later.

I wondered the same thing, so I tried to slow myself down and that didn't help either. If I'd been going any slower, I may as well have been walking! Thank you for the encouragement, though. It helps to know that I'm not the only who has struggles!

I wondered the same thing, so I tried to slow myself down and that didn't help either. If I'd been going any slower, I may as well have been walking! Thank you for the encouragement, though. It helps to know that I'm not the only who has struggles!

I think we all go through really rough run days along with some days that are easier. Usually I can trace my rougher days to lack of sleep or not drinking enough water over the course of the run day (I run in the evenings). Sometimes I don't know why it's harder - it just IS on some days. Even if I slow down to a fast walk, at least I'm out there and trying. Hopefully you will have some better days to encourage you further! :)

Disneydreamgirl - I feel your allergy pain! It's a good thing I have a treadmill at home. Between the heat and humidity we already have and the sky-high oak pollen (one of my worst allergens), I'd be toast if running outside right now. I don't suppose I'll be tackling a hot weather race anytime soon. :rotfl:

I got Week 4, Day 2 in yesterday! The first 3 minutes felt like 5 minutes and the 5 minutes felt like 20. HOWEVER, the last 3 & 5 flew by. I have no clue why. Maybe it's because I turned around and was headed back and I was like a horse returning to the barn. I downloaded the C25K app that was suggested. I was a bit PO'd that the GPS capability was ANOTHER $1 over the $3 I paid for the app. I'll give it a try tomorrow on Day 3.

I will be doing W4D3 this evening. W4D2 was rough! I didn't really feel all that great, but knew I needed to get it done. I"m sure that had alot to do with it. I really wanted to quit during the last 5 minutes run, but I didn't. I'm not really a runner and never have been, but I want to do the Wine and Dine 5K in October and possibly the Princess 1/2 in February. I sure hope this gets easier. I am doing all of my training outside on a nature trail in my neighborhood. I've been hearing that a treadmill is easier, but the 5K's are all outside, so I may as well be prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter