Costuming DCP Questions

futurecm

Earning My Ears
My sister want to do her DCP in costuming and I had some questions.

Do you do any mending on the costumes or is it more organizing and distributing costumes?
Can any of the costume DCPs work backstage on the shows such as Beauty and the Beast?
Have any of you worked in costuming and have any likes or dislikes in the position or the area you worked?

Thanks in advance!!:thumbsup2

Do you do any mending on the costumes or is it more organizing and distributing costumes?

Costuming Cast work primarily with the computer system to track garments, wash laundry, build/preset costumes. They do not sew, unless it's minor and an emergency.

Can any of the costume DCPs work backstage on the shows such as Beauty and the Beast?

YES! They could also work parades and other shows such as Nemo or FOLK. We also train DCP to work special events, meaning she could help notable people such as Hanson, Boys II Men, or Neil Patrick Harris (I held his pants and thought I was going to faint - not in front of him of course!).

Have any of you worked in costuming and have any likes or dislikes in the position or the area you worked?

I am a Costuming Manager ;)

I can tell you all about the role and answer any questions you have, but I'll leave first hand experiences to other posters!

Thank you thats really helpful. I will let my sister know and see if she as any more question! Also awesome about Neil I am sure that was pretty great!:cool1:

Thanks for answering my previous questions. I told my sister and I think she really liked the idea of working at one of the shows. She had a couple more questions. My sister's major is Graphic Design with a minor in Computer Science. Even though that has nothing to do with costuming could she still have a chance to get in? What things do they look for in interviews with people wanting to do costuming?

Thanks in advance:)

To be honest - I'm not sure what they look for in Costuming hiring for DCP. As you can imagine, it's not a super popular role, so a simple request would probably work. A lot of what the Cast does is based on show quality and computer inventory so if she expresses a strong attention to detail and stront computer knowledge that would be good! I wish I knew what questions they actually asked to offer more help.

One thing that is confusing, Costuming refers to other Cast Members as Guests (as they are Guests in our location). So Costumer Service is something we work really hard on!

Thanks for all the help. My sister is really good with computer and very organized so this sounds like a great role for her. Since there is not a lot of costuming stuff on her after her interview I can ask her what costumed specific questions they asked and let everyone know. Only about a month till we can apply for the Spring.:bitelip:

My DD did her CP in Costuming at DHS (and is still there as a Seasonal CM). Her major is Fashion Design and Merchandising, so that probably helped, but as Berlioz said, Costuming isn't a popular role (probably because it's all backstage, so no guest contact), so your sister should have a good chance of getting it.

One thing to remember is that Costuming is divided into 2 types - Entertainment and the regular one that I can't remember what it's called (maybe just Costuming?). If she wants to work a show she should request Entertainment Costuming. It's not guaranteed, but hopefully she'll be lucky. My DD works the parade and Fantasmic! and they have to pre-set and build the costumes, help the CM's get dressed and undressed, and clean and put away the costumes afterwards.

As for questions, I think they asked if she was okay working in a hot environment with chemicals (cleaning the costumes), lifting heavy objects (some of those costumes are heavy!), working only backstage, why do you want to work in Costuming, etc.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions :)

Yes thank you I will let my sister know. Also congrats on your daughter becoming seasonal. Also I bet it was really fun to work on Fantasmic!

One thing to remember is that Costuming is divided into 2 types - Entertainment and the regular one that I can't remember what it's called (maybe just Costuming?). If she wants to work a show she should request Entertainment Costuming.

The other side is called Operations Costuming (what the Cast in the parks/resort wear). Things have changed a little recently, everyone starts in Operational Costuming (to learn the computer system) and moves into Entertainment after that. Which park you're assigned plays a big part in what future opportunities there will be, obviously DHS has more show opportunities whereas MK has the most parades.

The other side is called Operations Costuming (what the Cast in the parks/resort wear). Things have changed a little recently, everyone starts in Operational Costuming (to learn the computer system) and moves into Entertainment after that.

Oh that's good to know - thanks for the information! :)

Hi, I am applying for spring 2013 and was wondering if I wanted to be a creative costumer or imagineer and work my way up if costuming was the best option or if I could do something like attractions and still get a professional internship after college.

I'm a theater design major with an emphasis in costuming

So even if I requested Entertainment Costuming and got it, I would have to spend time in Operational? How long?

And then what would my task be-like, handing the characters their costumes backstage when they need to change or bringing their costumes back to be cleaned?

I want to be as close to the characters as possible, and costuming is starting to sound better and better!

Hi, I am applying for spring 2013 and was wondering if I wanted to be a creative costumer or imagineer and work my way up if costuming was the best option or if I could do something like attractions and still get a professional internship after college.

I'm a theater design major with an emphasis in costuming

If you want to go into Creative Costuming, then doing your DCP in Costuming is your best option as we work very VERY closely with Creative.

If your focus is imagineering, then I would recommend something else on stage. Not a lot of Imagineers are hired out of the CP, as those are very specialized roles in design. In truth you'd have a better chance working for a professional theater and building a portfolio of professional work.

So even if I requested Entertainment Costuming and got it, I would have to spend time in Operational? How long?

And then what would my task be-like, handing the characters their costumes backstage when they need to change or bringing their costumes back to be cleaned?

I want to be as close to the characters as possible, and costuming is starting to sound better and better!

You would go back and forth between the two, your time in Ops never technically ends. Most DCPs will spend their first two weeks on the Ops floor, then get trained on the character floor. Based on skill, some get selected to learn delivery tracks or shows/parades. Also, if you have your own mode of transportation, you could also be trained in Resorts.

The more skills you get, the more areas you can be scheduled. And if you get trained in an area that has a high need (meaning not many people are trained in that skill) then you would find yourself being repeatedly scheduled at that location.

CPs may get 3 days with Characters and 2 days with Ops in one week.

Or you may have 2 weeks of Entertainment, then randomly a week of Ops.

CPs main purpose is to fill in where FTers are not available; so FT Vacation will largely effect where you'll be scheduled.

As a heads up, there are a lot more training opportunities in the fall advantage program. Sign ups for Holiday events typically happen in June/July so people who start in August miss the sign up period for the specialty parades and shows.

You would go back and forth between the two, your time in Ops never technically ends. Most DCPs will spend their first two weeks on the Ops floor, then get trained on the character floor. Based on skill, some get selected to learn delivery tracks or shows/parades. Also, if you have your own mode of transportation, you could also be trained in Resorts.

The more skills you get, the more areas you can be scheduled. And if you get trained in an area that has a high need (meaning not many people are trained in that skill) then you would find yourself being repeatedly scheduled at that location.

CPs may get 3 days with Characters and 2 days with Ops in one week.

Or you may have 2 weeks of Entertainment, then randomly a week of Ops.

CPs main purpose is to fill in where FTers are not available; so FT Vacation will largely effect where you'll be scheduled.

As a heads up, there are a lot more training opportunities in the fall advantage program. Sign ups for Holiday events typically happen in June/July so people who start in August miss the sign up period for the specialty parades and shows.
Thank you so much! And thanks also for the heads up-I am still debating between Advantage and the regular Fall so that definitely makes a difference :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter