• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Cost - booking early vs. waiting

Raya

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We're ready to book a HotHS cruise for 2023 but now that I've got a quote, I'm stunned by the price. Our 3 night cruise will cost $500 per person, per night, without adding in flights, transportation to the port, extra cost meals, drinks, etc. My first Disney cruise, (also a 3 night) cost less than $1000 total, but that was 15 years ago. What's normal now? Should I book early, at that price, or wait for a discount later on?

The Wish (which I assume this is) is currently attracting premium pricing. I’m not sure it will get much cheaper if you’re looking at the Wish until the new ship comes in a couple of years.

Disney Cruise hasn't been doing many straight discounts lately, except for special groups such as Florida residents and military members. They have been offering Restricted fares on cruises that aren't selling out, but those require immediate non-refundable/non-changeable payment, don't allow the choice of a specific room, and may not show up until after the final payment date for some cruisers (meaning onboard activities may already be booked).

If your goal is getting a good rate, then you could wait and see if discounted fares are offered at a time you want to go.
If you have a specific cruise in mind, your best bet is to book now and decide before the final payment date whether to keep your cruise or cancel.

Sail on the Dream or Magic instead of the Wish, and the price will be a lot more reasonable.

We're looking at a 5-nighter to Bermuda out of NYC next year on the Dream, and Norwegian is about $1,500 less for the same itinerary. So, you have to start looking at the other elements and decide if Disney is worth it to you.

The price doesn’t generally go down. Lowest price is usually opening day.
With the exception of some GT rates or other special rates that might be released before sailing. Those rates don't happen for every sailing, though. Always worthwhile to check back for them shortly before PIF date because sometimes they're released before that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter