Correcting What People Say

I have a dear friend who has speech issues due to loss of hearing as a child. We were once in an upscale candy store and she asked for a specific truffle. It is very obvious that she has difficulty with pronunciation. She pronounced it as "Truffssles" and the clerk corrected her and said "It's pronounced truffles, by the way", as she pointed to where they were located.

I have never wanted to punch somebody so hard in my life. I just stood there staring at her. My friend handled it very well and just said "I'm aware of that". At that point, the clerk could tell she had a speech impediment and looked very embarrassed. Good. We left the store, but not before I told her what I thought of her little lesson on how to pronounce simple items. She did say she was sorry, so hopefully she never did it again.

Yes, it's one of my favorite pastimes to go into Facebook news feeds to correct posters when they use the phrase gay agenda or gay lifestyle. I usually post the agenda and or lifestyle is to go to work, pay bills, buy milk and check out what's on TV, but sometimes I have to just tell some they're just idiots. Oh and it's marriage equality not gay marriage. ;) :lmao:

LOL She must be from Chicago? "Youse" is used all the time around here! Drives me nuts.

cute story - I have a step-niece who is from Texas. She was about 8 years old when she moved to the Chicago area. We were in the car one time and she says:

NEICE: "I hate how everyone out here always says "Youse" when they mean a lot of people. "USE" means "I want to use this thing, or something like that".
ME: "I know! It's so weird, right??!!"
NEICE: "Yes! Everyone knows that you are supposed to say 'Ya'll"

LOL I laughed so hard...she was so cute and sincere about it!

Hahaha cute. Not Chicago though, long island.

I have a dear friend who has speech issues due to loss of hearing as a child. We were once in an upscale candy store and she asked for a specific truffle. It is very obvious that she has difficulty with pronunciation. She pronounced it as "Truffssles" and the clerk corrected her and said "It's pronounced truffles, by the way", as she pointed to where they were located.

I have never wanted to punch somebody so hard in my life. I just stood there staring at her. My friend handled it very well and just said "I'm aware of that". At that point, the clerk could tell she had a speech impediment and looked very embarrassed. Good. We left the store, but not before I told her what I thought of her little lesson on how to pronounce simple items. She did say she was sorry, so hopefully she never did it again.

Some people don't slow down and think before speaking - it's not they're being mean, they just need to slow down and think if what they are saying is the right thing to say.
When I had my business I had a very dear customer with a horrible stuttering impairment.
I did a little reading on this and I learned that the worst thing you can do is to finish someone's sentence when they are stuttering. So whenever he came in I would patiently wait for him to be finished speaking before I would make any replies in the conversation.
I'm not saying I'm a saint, but I just wanted to make sure I treated him with the respect he deserved and then I taught my employees to do the same.

I don't correct them. If I don't know what they mean I will ask them to clarify what they mean... but most times you know what they mean so it isn't worth embarrassing someone.

My mom always corrected us. She has developed the habit of correcting others. When she did this to my nephew, he looked hurt so I finally told her to stop it because she's annoying and rude. I did pull her aside to tell her this so as not to embarrass her although she has never had a problem embarrassing others.

I don't correct people. My name is semi unusual, more common now than it was 56 years ago. Many people have gotten it wrong over the years including my in-laws who never got it right.

I have learned to answer to anything close to it. I was in the doctors office on Monday and a new nurse came out and called a name similar to mine. I started to go in and DD said thats not your name and I told her it was close enough. The nurse said I was the only other person in the office so it must be me. Nope, it was a lady in the restroom!

I have a lisp and have certain words that I can't say correctly and they never miss a chance to point it out to me!

My mom always corrected us. She has developed the habit of correcting others. When she did this to my nephew, he looked hurt so I finally told her to stop it because she's annoying and rude. I did pull her aside to tell her this so as not to embarrass her although she has never had a problem embarrassing others.

I think parents should correct their kids! Maybe not when they are adults of course when as children. That's how they learn. My Mom would correct us when we mixed up lend/borrow and bring/take. That kind of thing.

My sister-in-law is a "corrector." God forbid you misspeak or get something wrong, she jumps all over it. I think she really has low self-esteem and is making herself feel smarter, better, whatever. It's beyond annoying!

I do not, I just let it slide. If it is something that REALLY bothers me I will try to work it into conversation and say it the right way to try to set an example.

CJZvoTFWgAAXs9Y.jpg

This reminds me of a class I was in, the teacher was very monotone and was going over the syllabus and I was doodling and not paying attention and I heard him talking about "wabs". I finally raised my hand and asked what a way was. He looked at me like I was dumb and said "a wab...in the back of the woom?".....yeah, he was saying lab but had an impediment and couldn't say Rs and Ls. Doh!!!!

Other than that, if I hear something said wrong, I'll try to use it correctly in a sentence. Things like "borrow me" I will say "I don't know how to borrow you something, but I can lend/loan it to you". One of my biggest annoyances was a guy I dated that would say "for say" instead of per se (sp?). He never quite caught on.

This reminds me of a class I was in, the teacher was very monotone and was going over the syllabus and I was doodling and not paying attention and I heard him talking about "wabs". I finally raised my hand and asked what a way was. He looked at me like I was dumb and said "a wab...in the back of the woom?".....yeah, he was saying lab but had an impediment and couldn't say Rs and Ls. Doh!!!!

Other than that, if I hear something said wrong, I'll try to use it correctly in a sentence. Things like "borrow me" I will say "I don't know how to borrow you something, but I can lend/loan it to you". One of my biggest annoyances was a guy I dated that would say "for say" instead of per se (sp?). He never quite caught on.

Haha....wab.

My in-laws have a couple of phrases that I silently correct:

"For why?"

"Take her a bath"

"Please higher the volume"

My boss always says "supposebly" LOL She is one of the smartest people I know, but she has no idea that she is saying that word incorrectly. I'm certainly not going to correct her!

My boss always says "supposebly" LOL She is one of the smartest people I know, but she has no idea that she is saying that word incorrectly. I'm certainly not going to correct her!

I have a friend who says "supposably." She knows it's not correct, but she just likes saying it (if memory serves, it's also a nod to an episode of Friends). I wonder if she says it only to those of us who know she knows better, or if she says it to everyone, including people who may think she has no idea that's she's saying it incorrectly.

I don't correct grammar of adults. haha! I just secretly cringe. I hear "I seen..." on a daily basis. It's definitely a pet peeve!

And I think my little 1 year old is now saying "Ya'll". When I take him up to his big brother and sisters room in the morning as we are going up the stairs he's saying "ya! YA! YA!" I think calling them as we come. So cute!!

Same here, along with "I says..." :headache:

I've literally only heard this from one person in my entire life. But it is very strange. She starts every sentence with "I says". I only see her once every couple years, so not something that crosses my mind. I think she grew up in Wisconsin or up that way, so maybe it's regional.

Friend: Where are the knives at?

Friend's mother: You ended your sentence with a preposition.

Friend: Where are the knives at WITCH?!!

Me: LMAO.

My Dad always corrected us especially if we were telling stories at the dinner table. I got to the point where I disliked that so much that I wouldn't tell about my day's happenings. And now, unless, I'm in a classroom and helping a student with their speech.....I would never correct someone!

I have gotten much better at this over the years. The exception being my fiance, because I know he truly doesn't know what it's supposed to be, so I point it out. For example he'll say "mew" point instead of moot.

I did see someone post on Facebook once about the whole "kitten caboodle" and I just stared. Typed a comment......erased it.....typed a different comment.....finally logged off without commenting. But it's stuck with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter