Coronavirus and DVC prices

macman123

DIS Veteran
What does everyone think about the current $195 a point for Riveria and the virus?

Flights from EU suspended and I suspect UK wont be far behind.

Makes up a lot of people visiting WDW

Disney likely to reduce price or make any big discounts?

I doubt it. DVC is a long-term purchase and the current health crisis is (hopefully) a very short term event. No reason for Disney to try to push DVC sales now (any more than usual) and construction of future resorts can be delayed.

Nope. You might see some short term incentives, but DVC is a long play. Resorts sell for 2 or 3 years, they're not going to react quickly to something like this.

I'm interested to see what happens to the resale market though. They'll probably stop ROFR for reasonably priced contracts.

Unless the stock market doesn't turn around and we go into a recession or depression. Then DVC Sales might just close down temporarily and stop construction on Reflections and the DL resort, plus any renovations that haven't started yet.

After 9/11, Disney did shut down POFQ for a period of time. A temporarily closed resort doesn't cost that much. Since most of the DVC resorts are already sold, they will stay open as usual.

I had an ad in my FB feed for discounts on RR, Aulani, and CC direct. Up to $3500 off RR (250-299 points.) Up to $8000 off Aulani for same number of points, and up to $5500 off CC.

Seems like a ton of new resale contracts have been listed since yesterday. Is this in response to the virus and the stock market?

It would be irrational for a seller to do anything differently on account of this. But perhaps some will

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

I put my contract up a few weeks ago to sell. Agreed to a price yesterday and waiting on buyer to return so it can go to ROFR, I am hoping to hear today and they don’t change their minds!

Unless the stock market doesn't turn around and we go into a recession or depression. Then DVC Sales might just close down temporarily and stop construction on Reflections and the DL resort, plus any renovations that haven't started yet.

After 9/11, Disney did shut down POFQ for a period of time. A temporarily closed resort doesn't cost that much. Since most of the DVC resorts are already sold, they will stay open as usual.

And that is exactly what they will do. Halt construction on new resorts. ROFR will become easy to pass. Resales are about to get cheap (but give it three months). But all they will do on Riveria is add some incentives - most which will be centered around getting you to go for a "free" trip once everything calms down. I wouldn't be shocked to see "free trips" as an incentive - i.e. a years worth of points, park passes and a dining plan. But it will be very limited in its time to use, when park attendence is projected to be down and Disney wants to show a happy busy and safe park.

Like several PP said. A recession, which is all but inevitable now, will drop prices. But the virus itself wont in the short run.

There is zero chance the $195 per point price changes. But in a month or two they may increase the incentives for buying larger number of points.

Resale listing are abundant right now and prices do seem down a bit. There will be more resale contracts and therefore more competition to sell so naturally, prices will decline. I'll be looking for small resale contracts to snap up, but it will be a wait and see situation as owners come to grips with lower prices...I think it will take several months to find the deep discounts. I put points up for rent two days ago and made reservations this morning. I would consider renting more to free up cash to buy contracts if they get cheap enough. I do think Disney is working on potential promotions for after the crisis abates. Cash is king.

It would be irrational for a seller to do anything differently on account of this. But perhaps some will
The thing is some owners look at their DVC as investment. If they were retired and just lost a bunch of money in the market, the might be looking to recoup that money by selling their DVC. The only problem with that is the market of buyers is going to dry up right now. If they want to sell their contract they are going to be getting substantially than they thought.

I don't think direct will drop but if the market keeps tanking resale will get cheaper

The idea that they should sell before a further decline in prices is the same bad idea that drives people to the most self-harming behavior in the stock market. Does anyone really believe that prices will never recover? Just chill for a little bit.

And that is exactly what they will do. Halt construction on new resorts. ROFR will become easy to pass. Resales are about to get cheap (but give it three months). But all they will do on Riveria is add some incentives - most which will be centered around getting you to go for a "free" trip once everything calms down. I wouldn't be shocked to see "free trips" as an incentive - i.e. a years worth of points, park passes and a dining plan. But it will be very limited in its time to use, when park attendence is projected to be down and Disney wants to show a happy busy and safe park.
Bummer about construction likely being halted. Was holding out hope that reflections would be finished in time for our 2022 vacation! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!