Coronado or Caribbean Beach?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by delux, Nov 5, 2018.

1. delux

delux Mouseketeer

Just decided to take a quick weekend trip, 2 adults, in early January. These 2 are in my price range. Not my ideals but for the last minute I'm fine with either one. I wanted to know if anyone had any input either way. I've stayed at Caribbean before years ago. Never stayed at Coronado, so I'm thinking I might stay there just to "cross it off the list" Have the rooms recently been renovated at either? Or do you like the food better at one vs the other? those are the things I like to hear.

2. Moliphino

Moliphino DIS Veteran

Coronado's rooms were just renovated. CBR just finished it's lobby and dining refurbs, I don't know when the rooms were last done there. I prefer Coronado for the smaller footprint and fewer bus stops, mostly.

delux likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman Mouseketeer

Can I vote French Quarter or Riverside instead?

5. bigeyedfish

bigeyedfish Mouseketeer

We chose Caribbean Beach! This is our first trip and the renovations to the resort look beautiful! Plus there seemed to be more perks at CBR.

mrs moon and dansdad like this.
  6. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman Mouseketeer

Thats probably the right call.

7. delux

delux Mouseketeer

I love PO but for these dates, the other 2 resorts are cheaper.

8. DizneyLizzy

DizneyLizzy DIS Veteran

I stayed at Coronado Springs for the first time ever. Just last night with my mom and pre school age son. We only needed one night and the price was good at the last minute on orbitz. I stayed at Caribbean Beach most recently in the fall of 2016. As we were walking back from el Centro last night my mom and I discussed that we would probably pick CB over CS if we were ever in the position of picking between the two. For us, we hated the convention feeling of CSR. We’ve stayed at Yacht Club where there is also a convention center, and we’ve even stayed at the Swan and Dolphin. But CSR had the most convention-y feeling of all. Call us crazy but we preferred the energy of CBR to the suits of CSR. But that’s just us. We also though the Mercado was the worst excuse for resort counter service we’ve ever experienced! And the resort seemed even more massive and spread out than CBR.

On the positive side for CSR - only four bus stops as opposed to the 6 or 7 that CBR used to have - don’t know how many it has since the refurb. And the buses were literally empty. Maybe that’s bc of the convention goers?

Anyway, although our room was lovely, it will likely be our only stay at CSR.

delux likes this.
  9. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. We weren't fans of CBR our last trip there a few years ago, but the newly remodeled front desk area, quick service, and bar/restaurant addition have us wanting to give it another try. The thing we like least was the bus situation there, but its been remedied so that the same buses don't service all 7 bus stops, making the time to cycle the resort much less now.

We just returned from 10 days at CSR, and loved it. POR used to be our favorite moderate, but we can say CSR is now. Come January, the restaurant and tower construction will still be in full swing. It was not problematic to us, but I would say rooms facing the lagoon could be subject to noise. It's unsightly, but not otherwise intrusive. The new rooms are beautiful as well.

delux likes this.
  10. heidijanesmith

heidijanesmith DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Coranado x3 for conventions and for pleasure.

I love the renovated rooms at CSR, the pool and the bus service is fantastic. I would recommend this resort to anyone. I can't wait until the new restaurant is done.

delux likes this.
  11. delux

delux Mouseketeer

Thank you. That is the first i have heard about the bus situation too. That's a plus.

12. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I was at CBR in May and loved the refurb rooms! The new eateries are great! Spyglass grill had so many unique options that we ate there 2x/day! Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one!

delux likes this.
  13. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I think both are fine choices. At this point, go with whatever theme suits you.

I have not been to either since construction, so my opinion is based on old news, however I do think a vibe is present at every resort, and unless they changed the entire theme, the vibe remains.

I found CSR to be a more reserved resort, and appreciated that feeling. It was a girls trip to say goodbye to the Osbourn Lights, so no need to accomodate little ones that time. CBR is very family oriented, IMO. Go with which "vibe" is closer to your trip focus.

14. EmilyMaude

EmilyMaude Earning My Ears

I've never done CBR but I just got back from a quick stay at CSR (we split a stay with POR), and I did like it a lot. The room renos are really nice--it feels much more like a non-Disney hotel at that price point than many of the other moderates. There were a ton of outlets and a really nice bathroom, and like others have noted the buses were really great and never crowded. That said, even though it felt nicer than other Disney resorts at that price point, it is also the least Disney-feeling place I've stayed! I am sure that has to do with the fact that it is also used for conventions, but if the Disney feel is really important to you I'd err on the CBR side.

15. LovesTimone

LovesTimone Christmas Day 2017

For a quick weekend getaway - which ever is less...

For us we would go with CBR - better theming, and food court options.... CSR was okay... for me like a convention hotel setting...

16. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

CSR. I found the size of CBR to be a big negative, especially if you want to get to the main area with the themed pool and food options. CSR is large, but not as large.