Coral Reef

ozziewags

Go Warriors!
Anyone been to Coral Reef lately? Seems they changed their menu. Just wondering how the food is, with fewer choices. Have an ADR for June 1st, but thinking of cancelling. Should I?

We had dinner at Coral Reef last Friday (April 28), and were disappointed with the food. As you mentioned the menu is very limited, but you would hope that with limited entree options, they would do them very well! We did not find that to be the case. We were a party of four, and each of us had a different seafood selection. Not one of our group cared for the entrees at all, although in fairness, the appetizers were OK. Most of the food went back uneaten, and we actually ordered a late night pizza when we got back to the resort.

I read on these boards that the steak there is supposed to be good, but I'll be darned if I order steak at a seafood restaurant! We patronized eight WDW table service restaurants last week, and this was the only one we all rated as poor.

We just returned and ate there twice. We also were not wowed by CR and probably will skip it in the future. I was disappointed that the menu had changed from when I booked my ADRs. While the food was not bad, it just was a struggle to find something. I got steak the first week and it was just ok. The appetizer was good--cesaer salad with scallops. The second week we went back with family and the food was again only ok. I had the crab cake and was not impressed at all. I wondered what was in it, because I never tasted the crab. I had the shrimp cocktail, which was good (4 shrimp). Both times the restraurant was loud with screaming kids, (and people and CMs screaming over the screaming kids) I felt as though I was in a food court instead of an upscale restraurant. The deserts were good, I had the chocolate wave and then the orange sponge cake. Both were good, but not worth returning anytime soon. I would have thought a better menu might help. I'm not a fish eater, so a shrimp/scallops, dish might have been nice. My husband likes fish, so had a different dish each visit and said it was ok, but agreed, not worth returning.

I just tried to get PS's at Coral Reef and gave them 5 nights in June and we could only get 4:30 or 8:00pm!
Must be getting popular. I tried them many years back and haven't been back but thought I'd give it another shot. I guess not this year either.

travlnman1 said:
I just tried to get PS's at Coral Reef and gave them 5 nights in June and we could only get 4:30 or 8:00pm!
Must be getting popular. I tried them many years back and haven't been back but thought I'd give it another shot. I guess not this year either.

I think its popular because it is probably the most expensive option available for one table service credit under the dining plan (it recently changed from a signature restaurant requiring two credits). In this case, cost doesn't mean quality!

I had a very different experience at CR last month. The restaurant was elegant and relatively quiet. Service was top notch (server even refilled our bread without being asked) and IMO so was the food.

Let me start with this...nobody in my family eats seafood.

We had the Ceasar Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast as appetizers. It had an entire chicken breast on top and it was delicious. My kids were allowed to have this adult appetizer on the DDP as well.

I had the NY Strip Steak as my entree and it was PERFECT! My son had a kid's steak meal (not on the menu at the time, but offered to him). He loved it! The potatoes and vegetables were delicious. My DD ordered the kid's pizza. It didn't look like anything special, but she liked it just the same.

The Chocolate Wave was like a slice of heaven. Just thinking about it I'm getting hungry. My kids both LOVED the Build-Your-Own-Sundae desserts.

I loved CR and we're going back again during the free dining.

To the person who commented about the restaurant having too many loud kids, you run that risk every time you walk into ANY Disney restaurant (even the Signature restaurants). Some parents can't control their kids. That has nothing to do with CR though. You just had the unfortunate opportunity to dine there at the same time as some rowdy kids and bad parents.

Does dinner at CR have less kids than at lunch ?

Thanks for the good review formernyer. I think I'm going to order what you had and hope for the same good fortune as you. I'm not a seafood eater either.

is there any seafood on the lunch menu? I checked all ears and there weren't many options.

It looks like dinner is a much better choice for a greater variety of seafood.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I am a seafood lover and don't feel the scant options are worthwhile. I cancelled my ressie and opted for Concourse Steakhouse (couldn't get in to Lecellier, have been before). I don't like to order steak at a seafood place either.
Hope everyone has a great visit to the World! :)

I noticed the menu change, too. Planning to go there for my BD dinner, wondering if I should give it more thought. I've read so many mixed reviews that I have been on the fence for a while.
We could do a signature TS, my 2 DS's will be in tow and CG doesn't seem like a good option. Other suggestions? or should I stick with CR? Oh, I hate when I second guess myself.

I guess I always took the AE menu's to be a "sample" of what is offered, not the entire menu. I was hoping for more seafood options at lunch.

I had dinner there with DH and DS on April 24th, I love catfish and had that and it was great! The service was not good at all! I like when someone can actually remember the orders, if not get a pad and pen! Messed up DH dinner badly, and forgot our desserts and beverages and appetizers a mess!

Loved the atmosphere didn't wait long just regreted the server and how long it took !

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter