Coral Reef or Cape May Cafe dinner?

WTP

Mouseketeer
We currently have reservations for dinner at Coral Reef in September, but I've heard so many mixed reviews. The Cape May Cafe clam bake sounds interesting to me, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. What is the difference in the quality in food? I generally assume that menu places will be a notch above a buffet since at a buffet you are paying for the all-you-can-eat factor. Both menus look good, although nothing on the Coral Reef menu is particularly standing out to me.

We were at Cape May for breakfast in 2009 and I thought it was wonderful. I've never been to Coral Reef, though!

FWIW, we will have a 4yo and a 15 month old with us. They are used to a variety of dining experiences, but any thoughts you can share would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I've never visited Coral Reef but can tell you about Cape May. Since they added crab legs, we are visiting twice each trip. We find the atmosphere much more relaxed than many of the character buffets. The food is also good, not fantastic but good. We will be there twice next trip also. We may even make it to Coral Reef this trip. I keep planning on visiting and change our minds every trip. There are just too many other places where we have heard better reviews or have experienced a good meal ourselves. I look forward to hearing what others say about the two.

We ate at both our last trip. Coral Reef was nice. The food was good, sorry its been awhile and I forgot what we ordered, but there were 6 of us and everyone enjoyed their meal. I think the large fish tank, and our waiter made it memorable, I can tell you all about them, but not our food. We ate dinner at Cape May 3 times. Our first night we had different reservations, but we there and my dad didn't want to wait. I asked if they had room for us and we were given a table within 10 minutes. We loved the food! There is something for everyone. My daughter ate so many clam legs...and they have this dessert, I forget what its called, but its an oreo cookie with chocolate...it is SO GOOD. We ended up there a few more times during our trip and I would definately go again. Have a great vacation!

While we enjoy the food at Cape May Clambake, there are no characters at dinner and I know my kids enjoyed the atmosphere at Coral Reef when they were the ages of your children. We enjoy the food at Coral Reef too.

We've been to both and would hands down without a doubt say Cape May Cafe Clambake for dinner! In fact, we are going again on our Nov trip with our will be 1 yr old. we aren't huge buffet people but we really enjoy this one. the choices are great and the food is so fresh and tasty ! Plenty of options for seafood lovers and non-seafood lovers.

we are going to both for our upcoming August trip...I have been to Cape May Cafe and love it. (we have a house in Cape May, of course we have to go there!) and I have never been to Coral Reef but excited to go!

Coral Reef was the only place both my husband and my 5 year old asked to go back to this trip. The food was great and the fish tank is an amazing experience. If your kids are animal lovers like my daughter, they will love it!!

IMHO if you are looking for good food, Cape May would be my first choice. We have dined at Coral Reef both times we have gone to WDW and find if we are going to dine there again it would be for the atmosphere only. Our service both times was VERY slow at Coral Reef and the food has gone down hill. My DH got the Mahi this last time and said it was just okay. We will be doing the Clam Bake in Jan when we go and can't wait.!!

We have had dinner at both restaurants and prefer Cape May to Coral Reef.

The food at Coral Reef was fine, good not great. Nothing really wrong with the meal itself other than we had to keep asking for refills and every time we asked our server acted as if we were putting her out. Not a big deal, but less than magical. My husband ordered some sort of chicken dish while my mom and son both ordered the steak. I had a vegetarian entree. Other than the steak being quite fatty everyone seemed happy enough with their meals. We were not near the tank at all, but I'm sure it would have been lovely to be near it. When we go back we're hoping to request a table near the tank. Of course it is not guaranteed, but it cannot hurt to ask. We also ended up waiting about 35 minutes past our ADR time. Not a huge deal, I'm sure it doesn't happen often. One other thing to note is that it seemed very loud in there. Not sure exactly why but we had a hard time hearing each other. The restaurant itself is lovely and I think if it were just my husband and I going, I'd book again in a heartbeat.

Cape May on the other hand was very good. The food at the buffet seemed very fresh and was tasty. Everyone from my very meat and potatoes husband, my I'll try anything son and me..the vegetarian.. found plenty of good things to eat. They offer a good variety of both land and sea. I enjoyed the pasta and salad options quite a bit. The veggies were also very good. My husband enjoyed the meat offering and the clam chowder, but his heart truly lies with the desserts. Oh that man can eat his weight in desserts if he was able to. :rotfl: My son on the other hand had a bit of everything. It was his first time trying out crab legs. He said they were very good but had a little bit of trouble getting all the meat out. The service was very good. Our server was so concerned that I was paying more attention to our daughter (then 1) and not eating. She even brought out some Goldfish to tide me over. So sweet. My whole family really loved being able to color on the table as well. Kept our daughter happy throughout dinner.

We wouldn't hesitate to book either again. And actually we are going back to Cape May in September, but we are trying it for breakfast this time. Had we had the chance to book it as well for dinner, we would have. :)

We ate Coral Reef on our last trip. We did enjoy it but I wouldn't make it a point to go back. I would try Cape May based on the reviews I've read.

Thanks, everyone! you are really convincing me to give Cape May a try, but that it won't be too bad if we stick with Coral Reef. I'll show this to my hubby and let him pick. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter