Coral Reef needs a VEIWING window

sorry you had to deal with that! I am a mother of a 5 yr old and would never, ever,ever let her run around and climb onto peoples tables :scared1: That was just bad parenting with an inflated sense of entitlement

How rude! I would have been pissed! I definately think they should have a lil area for KIDS not parents. You were very right on how you handle it. I know my DH would have freaked on this one with every right to. Ppl no common sense. It's always about them. No consideration for others. So not nice.

It seems like this is something that happens hourly at CR (not to the extent of standing on the table though). I agree having an area to watch would make things better all around but it would cost $$$$. We sat in the 2nd tier a few times and I honestly would not want to sit tankside because I saw so many little kids pushing next to tables and picture takers. Even diners who pushed their chairs out to prevent kids from walking behind them still seemed to end up with kids hanging off the front of their tables and that is not something we could tolerate at all. I do have kids but we insist on them not bothering others particularly during an expensive meal. It bugs my kids now as much as us seeing kids misbehave in restaurants.

What a great idea the OP had about removing a few of the tables and having a viewing area!
We went with our 2 little ones but were seated at the tank so we didnt have a problem. I cannot imagine allowoing my kids to invade someone's dinner like that just to look at fish! tHat's terrible. No one did that to us, thankfully!

WOW!! Although I will say that it doesn't surprise me. Rude people are everywhere and a lot of them are under the very false assumption that because they paid a lot for their vacation they should be able to do whatever they want. I have news for them, we ALL pay a lot for our vacations.

That being said....we love Coral Reef, it is one of our favs. Yes I agree about the viewing, there should be an area where people can view the fish up close, but really you can see just fine in most areas of the restaurant. Way back, when the place was built I don't think Disney ever thought that the restaurant would be so popular, it is really quite small. Taking out 2 tables would work for a viewing area, but would just make ressies even harder to get. I don't know what the answer is. We usually don't get a table that close, but we always watch the kids (and adults) trying to push their way like you said happened to you. Just go into the living seas I want to say to these people. It reminds me of when my children were small and we went to the character meals. I would hate it when other children came up when it was clearly MY children's turn with the characters and the parents would push them to get to the characters. So sad. I never had a problem with my kids because my husband and I taught them from an early age to behave. A lot of parents don't want to take the time today. I would suggest to you to ask for a table away from the tank. Trust me you can still see the fish. Hope next time is better!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

I couldn't imagine allowing DD to act like that! It is amazing! I am glad to hear security acted on it!

This is the reason that if I ever eat there, I will request a table away from the aquarium.

am also pleasantly surprised to see that Disney security actually asked that family to leave the restaurant.

Second level in the middle is a great spot.

Kae

One problem with the viewing area idea is that little kids running around loose create a safety hazard, especially with servers carrying trays of hot food. A viewing area would only increase the number of kids on the loose.
And there's no way Disney wants to give up the income generated by two tables, especially since there's tons of free viewing right next door.
How 'bout adding Crush to the Coral Reef? (Like Remi over in France.) "Duuuu-de.. get your stinking feet off the table, man...... Like wow, so ruuuuude....."
The moral of this particular story is to speak up right away and firmly set your boundaries. Get a manager involved if necessary. There's no need to be made uncomfortable because some parents won't control their children.

I have found that kids will do WHATEVER is allowed, and parents often allow tooo much! We got out often, and my girls know expectations! (Now that I've said that, they'll be on Disney overload and act up!) If I encounter this when we go next month the Kindergarten teacher in me will come out, I will tick some parent off, my Dh will get loud if they retaliate, and we will end up being the ones kicked out!:lmao:

That's when the "Mom" in me would surface - and I've learned how to use my "Mom" voice pretty well. I also think I've turned into a "grumpy old lady" and I just don't put up with stuff any more. If I embarrass the parents so much the better (although unfortunately the parents sometimes don't have the common sense to be embarrassed). I saw one post recently where the parents said they always tell their children that we have to pack our manners - I thought that was a cute way to let the kids know that manners count while on vacation too.

And that was the delimena... I mean, we knew that the kid was old enough to kind of know better, but it really wasn't her fault... it was the parents.

Thats why when I spoke to the child I was firm, polite, and I addressed the parents first.

Oh, I came up with a dozen different funny ideas after we left.... like standing on their table....

hahahahaha.

WOW! I can't believe some parents are worse than their children. This kind of behavior is totally unacceptable. I also think that parents should teach their children manners no matter where or what they are doing!

OP, I love that idea!

My husband and I ate a Coral Reef in Ocotober for our honeymoon. It was one of the meals I was looking forward to the most. We got a table right next to the window and right in front of the sea turtle. Most of the children and adults were fairly nice and asked before coming up. But some people! Ihad some guy glued to my right side for about 10 minutes taht couldn't seem to grasp that we were eating and that our server couldn't even get in to give us the next course.

I have to blame the parents. Although I have no children myself, I know that if I ever acted like what you described my mother would have me out that door so fast my head would spin.

One problem with the viewing area idea is that little kids running around loose create a safety hazard, especially with servers carrying trays of hot food. A viewing area would only increase the number of kids on the loose.
And there's no way Disney wants to give up the income generated by two tables, especially since there's tons of free viewing right next door.
How 'bout adding Crush to the Coral Reef? (Like Remi over in France.) "Duuuu-de.. get your stinking feet off the table, man...... Like wow, so ruuuuude....."
The moral of this particular story is to speak up right away and firmly set your boundaries. Get a manager involved if necessary. There's no need to be made uncomfortable because some parents won't control their children.

:lmao::lmao: at the red.

We noticed the same thing in 2007. We were in the large circular booths across from the tank, which turned out to be great....we could see the tank, but didn't have people crowding us. We felt bad for people with the tank side tables..sounds great on paper, but kids (and even adults) would push their way up to the tank, making it hard for people who were seated there to enjoy their meal. My kids who were 3 and 6 at the time said they wouldn't want to deal with that.

I'm surprised this happens so much at Coral Reef. They really should do something about people walking right up to the glass.

There's another restaurant that has an aquarium. It's called...the Aquarium :)and it's owned by Landry's. We've eaten there many times and though there are always children dining, diners stay in their seats and you aren't disturbed if you have a table right up to the glass.

We ate at Ohana one night and Wishes started. Many children got up out of their seats (some with adults accompanying them) to watch wishes from the window, thus blocking the view for anyone behind them. The staff at Ohana promptly asked those people to go back to their tables - problem solved.

I don't know why they adopt a different attitude at Coral Reef. As OP's have posted, you can view the aquarium as long as you like in the Living Seas.

Wow, you all handled this better than I would.

I have extreme issues with strangers coming up and bothering me while I'm eating. One time I was eating at a Disney theme restaurant (Blue Bayou in California) and a child snuck up behind me chair and decided she was going to stand and lean over me so she could get a better view of the river next to me. Not only did I scream in shock when she touched me, but I started flailing my arms in the air WITH A STEAK KNIFE AND FORK STILL IN THEM. She was lucky she wasn't stabbed...but she was so scared by cutlery waving through the air and yelling that she did at least stay at her own table after that. That's just bad parenting. And I can't be the only person with issues like this...there are plenty of people with worse issues than me (especially those with sensory deprivation issues and the handicapped) for whom a stranger crawling over them would be a disaster.

I'm in agreement, they could put a small viewing area, or at the very least, put a rope around the tables to prevent people from climbing over the diners!

I know I'll be flamed for this, but the DDP is bringing people into the restaurants these days who don't really belong there. They ought to be eating at Pecos Bill's!

That is not a nice thing to say! Many people who are not on the dining plan lack manners. And many people who have money lack manners.

I'm not sure why you assume the table walkers were on the dining plan. And even if they were, that doesn't mean they lack money. The richest people are those who know how to get the most out of their dollar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter