Cooler on a plane as checked luggage?

Disneycrazymom

DIS Veteran
Ok my budget board friends I know someone has done this!!! :goodvibes

I am thinking about using my rolling cooler as 1 of our checked bags on our flight in June. American will charge me $15. It is in the size range, zips shut and has wheels. Is there any reason I cannot check it? I have looked at the web site and cannot see anywhere it says I can't?

I would put beer, soda and some non perishable snacks in it. I will wrap the cans in plastic. No ice needed until we get to the hotel.

Also can I check a case of water?

I know you guys have good ideas to get some budget food to the hotel. Help me figure it out please!!!

We have checked a cooler, but not with cans in it. It was a plastic kind and we put clothes in it and taped it shut with packing tape. Didn't even get a funny look.

I've seen people check coolers packed with dry ice and fish after fishing trips.

You could check a case of water if you wanted to but WAYYY cheaper than that, you can get a case shipped from Costco (you don't have to be member) for $7 total (water and shipping). You could get 2 cases for the price of the extra bag fee.

I would be worried abuot how the sodas and beers would taste after they have been tossed around the baggage claim. they are pretty rouggh on bags at the airports.

It's cheaper to order water from staples or costco so maybe ordering what you need from one of those places. i know it's about $7 (inc shipping) to order the water from costco-what about ordering all your snacks with the water? Prob much cheaper than the $30 in fees and easier.

Lara

We check a hardside ice chest quite frequently, but we don't put drinks in it. WAY too heavy. We sometimes put nonperishable food in it, but mostly we fill it with beach equipment. I put the contents in a cloth drawstring bag so that I can just pull that out and toss it in the trunk when I arrive and want to fill it with ice.

Any time you check an ice chest you have to go to the ticket counter. The agent must inspect the interior to be sure that it contains no dry ice and no perishables. Glass may or may not be forbidden; depends on the airline. Some of them also forbid alcoholic beverages in checked baggage; look at your airline's website for specifics.

We normally strap ours up with luggage straps rather than tape, so that they can do as many inspections as they like.

we used one of those soft-sided rolling coolers last time we went. Took it down flat and packed in one of our suitcases. Used it all week as a cooler at the resort. Then filled it with soveniers and such for our trip back and checked it with no issues.

I agree with others. I don't think I'd pack any cans in it as the back will get tossed around and you risk them "exploding" in the cooler.

Packing a coller with lunch meats, beef, chicken breasts, cereal, and other goodies is a great idea if you are traveling to the carribbean or Hawaii (and other international locales). You'll find the grocery costs of such items on much islands to be incredibly high, as the shipping costs to get them there are high. Most locals will always bring back coolers full of goodies (plus items like diapers) when they visit the USA lower 48. We are heading to Paradise Island in teh Bahamas this summer. We will have a condo with kitchen, so one (or more) of our checked bags will certainly be foodstuffs. The $15 and $25 fee for checked bags on American is quickly offset when you find out that the cost for a loaf of bread at Atlantis resort is over $4, a box of cereal is close to $10, etc. Local groceries are a bit less than that, but still very high in comparision to your local super Walmart. If I was traveling to another state, I might not bother. I'd just hit a grocery when I got there to load up.

Not to be off topic, but about 10 years ago when I went with friends to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break we brought a soft sided cooler filled with cans of beer as a carry on bag for the plane. Needless to say it was confiscated about an hour into the flight after we started getting a little too loud on the plane ;)

Packing a coller with lunch meats, beef, chicken breasts, cereal, and other goodies is a great idea if you are traveling to the carribbean or Hawaii (and other international locales). You'll find the grocery costs of such items on much islands to be incredibly high, as the shipping costs to get them there are high. Most locals will always bring back coolers full of goodies (plus items like diapers) when they visit the USA lower 48. We are heading to Paradise Island in teh Bahamas this summer. We will have a condo with kitchen, so one (or more) of our checked bags will certainly be foodstuffs. The $15 and $25 fee for checked bags on American is quickly offset when you find out that the cost for a loaf of bread at Atlantis resort is over $4, a box of cereal is close to $10, etc. Local groceries are a bit less than that, but still very high in comparision to your local super Walmart. If I was traveling to another state, I might not bother. I'd just hit a grocery when I got there to load up.

Yes, BUT (and it is a big BUT), you have to pay attention to import laws when you do this. For instance, fresh fruit from the US isn't going to get into the Bahamas.

In addition, some airlines will sometimes prohibit perishable foodstuffs in checked baggage; they may insist that you send that via cargo with a declaration. The reason is that there can be serious nastiness with bugs and odor if a bag full of perishable food gets delayed or lost in a hot climate.

Since this message board topic still returns as a top hit with Google (even after years of inactivity) - I will post some updated information....

"Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policies on traveling with ice and/or gel packs in checked luggage.

TSA permits regular ice, frozen gel packs, and dry ice in checked baggage. Frozen items are allowed so long as they are solid and in a "frozen state" when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, the ice/liquid container must meet 3-1-1 requirements. More specifically:

Checked Baggage: Regular ice and frozen gel packs are not restricted by TSA. When regular ice is transported, TSA recommends a cooler. For dry ice:

. TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas;
. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) limits each piece of checked baggage to five pounds of dry ice;
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked "DRY ICE" or "CARBON DIOXIDE SOLID;" and
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or an indication that the amount of dry ice is five pounds or less.

TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with either regular ice or dry ice. It is important to note that TSA enforces all FAA requirements pertaining to dry ice.

Concerning packages and containers sealed with tape and traveling as checked baggage, in accordance with TSA regulations, a package or container sealed with tape is not a prohibited item. Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) are required by law to screen all checked baggage for prohibited items. If a checked bag sounds an alarm, it may be physically searched. If a TSO must conduct a physical inspection of a sealed package to resolve an alarm during screening, the TSO will reseal the package once the inspection is complete.

If the TSO finds any prohibited items in the sealed package, the items will be removed and the package resealed. There is no need for passengers to place their own sealing tape inside the packages or containers. All checked baggage should be closed or sealed before checking them with the airlines."

Yes, BUT (and it is a big BUT), you have to pay attention to import laws when you do this. For instance, fresh fruit from the US isn't going to get into the Bahamas.

In addition, some airlines will sometimes prohibit perishable foodstuffs in checked baggage; they may insist that you send that via cargo with a declaration. The reason is that there can be serious nastiness with bugs and odor if a bag full of perishable food gets delayed or lost in a hot climate.

I'm from Barbados - fresh fruit, meats and dairy are prohibited but it's often ignored by customs. Bring those items at your own risk - they may or may not be confiscated by customs when you get here.

To answer the OP's question, yes I have packed a cooler as luggage before - filled it with clothes, not foodstuff. That was many years ago - I don't not how receptive airlines are to coolers and "alternative" luggage nowadays.

We are flying to WDW tomorrow and will have a cooler with dry ice. I'm confused as to the meaning of 'TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas'. I asked the airline and the agent was not sure how that works. How do you ensure the packaging allows this? My nephew has a feeding tube and we will be taking his food in the cooler.

Thanks! :)

We are flying to WDW tomorrow and will have a cooler with dry ice. I'm confused as to the meaning of 'TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas'. I asked the airline and the agent was not sure how that works. How do you ensure the packaging allows this? My nephew has a feeding tube and we will be taking his food in the cooler.

It's probably a pressurized don't explode thing, don't tape it up to the point it's air tight is my guess.

Yup, they don't want anything to blow! We ended up buying a huge gel ice pack, and several small gel packs, instead of the dry ice. Much easier to deal with! :-)

Ok my budget board friends I know someone has done this!!! :goodvibes

I am thinking about using my rolling cooler as 1 of our checked bags on our flight in June. American will charge me $15. It is in the size range, zips shut and has wheels. Is there any reason I cannot check it? I have looked at the web site and cannot see anywhere it says I can't?

I would put beer, soda and some non perishable snacks in it. I will wrap the cans in plastic. No ice needed until we get to the hotel.

Also can I check a case of water?

I know you guys have good ideas to get some budget food to the hotel. Help me figure it out please!!!

the thing that I think you are going to have to be careful with if you are packing a lot of cans of soda, beer and water in there is the weight of the bag. You're going to have to make sure that it doesn't get too heavy. Amazon shows the shipping weight of a case of 24 16.9 oz bottles of water as 28 lbs. One case of water plus the weight of your cooler is going to pretty much bring you up close to the weight limit for a checked bag.

Um, scrapquitler? That post you quoted is from 2009 or so... somebody recently Googled and found this thread, but I think the OP has gone and come back.

Um, scrapquitler? That post you quoted is from 2009 or so... somebody recently Googled and found this thread, but I think the OP has gone and come back.
OH geez. It was in my feed because someone else responded a couple days ago. I didn't notice the date. :scared:

I know this is an old thread, but this statement was recent...

... We ended up buying a huge gel ice pack, and several small gel packs, instead of the dry ice. Much easier to deal with! :-)

Be careful about the gel packs. They are subject to the 3-1-1 rule if they are in a gel state, rather than a frozen solid state when you arrive at the airport. That may not be a problem if you have access to a good freezer pre-trip and will be traveling a relatively short distance to the airport. But hotel freezers may not freeze the packs solid enough, and/or the packs may start to thaw if you travel a considerable distance before you get to the airport.

Another idea I have heard is to use packages of frozen peas instead of ice packs. They remain solid state even after thawing.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter