• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

convince me that offsite is ok...

Sher

Mouseketeer
My family has had 4 great trips to WDW. We have stayed at CBR and ASMo and actually prefer the "Disney" theming of ASMo. With the discontinuation of early entry and the peak rate we are stuck with at ASMo, we are considering staying offsite the week before Easter this year. I have found a $58 rate at the Hampton Inn Maingate East through Expedia. Here is my dilema: As I start to plan this trip I am getting increasingly nervous about staying offsite. I am worried about how it will change out experience. My main concerns are the travel from the hotel to the parks every day. The thought of bumper to bumper traffic every night through masses of construction with the possiblility of missed exits or getting out and out lost is giving me nightmares. After a long day or touring, I'm not sure how well we would handle this.

Can anyone reassure me?

Sher

I probably shouldn't post...since it says convince you to stay off site.
My advice? Don't if at all possible. So much easier to rest mid day and to take the park's transportation. What ever you decide I know you'll have a great time. Hey it's Disneyworld!:D

Tough call... Onsite hotels make such a difference! For close to that price, can't you get an AS room?

I am sure there are trouble-free offsite hotels as well. I stayed offsite three times and it was always something, until the time when a stranger popped into my room with her key and I determined that time was the last ever I stayed in a cheaper hotel. Key codes were shared throughout the hall!

I struggled with the same decision myself this year, thinking it must not be worth much to stay onsite if I can't get in earlier anyhow. But the transportation alone is well worth it! Disney buses leave you close to the entrance (especially MK, avoiding the race to the tram), come by regularly and make you feel they are transporting people rather than farm animals.

If the driving is your concern, honestly, it is not too bad to get around Orlando. There are signs everywhere for the tourists. I did miss my exit one night when I was beat after midnight and ended up in another county at 1:00 AM. But if you are with other adults that can help, it won't be that bad.

Wanda

We ARE staying offsite in feb its PEAK week and we couldnt get a decent booking onsite. Hubby vetoed my high end choices!

We are staying in downtown disney so we will be close to some stuff and the driving to the parks shouldnt be horrible if we choose to drive. We may bus it some days. I'm sure our epcot day will be via bus so we can both enjoy a few drinks in various nations!

I have never really been to Disney but i expect our trip to be just as wonderful staying offsite as it would have been to stay on!

I've done both, onsite and off. I have had an equally great time off site as on-NO magic was lost.
Every one says stay onsite for the busses- well it drives me crazy waiting at the bus stop. Sure your hotel is 10 minutes away from the parks, but you wait 15 minutes for the bus to come(=25 minutes). I'd rather stay 10 minutes away at a fraction of the price and not have to wait for a bus.
Hey if cost wasn't a factor I'd stay onsite in the biggest rooms, but the facts are that money is always a factor for me. I'd rather stay in a priceline hotel offsite for $20 and go to WDW then NOT go.
There are some great deals going on now at the off site hotels. When staying offsite you get more for your money- bigger rooms, suites and villa's. You also are able to eat at less expensive restaurants and some places offer breakfast with the room or you can eat in your room- $$$ saved.

With ee gone and e-night inconsistant ther is no real need to stay onsite for me right now.
Just my $.02.

Go for it! My parents have only stayed offsite when they go (financial reasons) and they have a GREAT time!!! You're at WDW for crying out loud!;) How can you not have fun!! My DH and I always rent a car and drive around property instead of using their transportation system (even though we stay on property) we find it much more conveinent than thier busses! Have a great time!:)

The Hampton Inn Maingate East is pretty easy to get to from WDW. However - with big crowds at Easter, it's possible that the parks could be closed early to off-site guests. While I think that the parks themselves are equally fun no matter where you stay - there IS a great deal of convenience in being a resort guest, and that's what you are paying for. My advice would be to stay off-site if money is really tight - and make the best of the situation. If the price difference isn't a major issue - go with the All-Stars.

Sher, I just checked on hotelkingdom.com for Hampton Inn Maingate East for March 22-30(week before Easter) and the rates thru them are $46.90/night. Saving another $75.00 on your offsite vacation may help the decision become easier.

We always stay off site in one of the motels on hwy 192 - the Day's Inn we stayed in this past week is right across from the Animal Kingdom Lodge! Driving in to the parks is easier than waiting on the busses (we've tried the busses from park to park, and would rather drive - you only pay for parking once per day, so you can "hop" in your own car). I would love to stay on site in one of the hotels served by the monorail - that would be very convenient. But when I can stay off site for 7 nights for the same price(actually less) than staying at one of the monorail hotels ( and most of the other Disney hotels), it only makes sense to stay off site - that way I can afford to go a couple of times a year instead of once in a lifetime! Of course, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, go for the best Disney hotel you can afford - the Grand Floridian is my dream!

Oh - and I don't know what will be going on at Easter time, but right now there really is no benefit to staying on site - no early entry (which I have had no trouble getting in early staying offsite - I don't hink they really check), very few e-ride nights (only one in January and it's gone).

I think Disney should come up with an incentive for onsite guests other than just having characters in the resorts in the mornings. USF is giving their hotel guests some priviledges rather than take them all away by canceling EE mornings.

Just some more info....The best rate I could get at the All-Stars is $109 plus tax. This seems like the most anyone has ever paid for the All-Stars, but then it is Easter week. Most of these great deals that you see mentioned are not available that week. The hotels in the downtown disney area are more comparable to the All-Star rate and I'm sure nicer, but if I am going to pay $109 a night I will stick with the All-Stars and be onsite. Like I said, we have been happy with All-Star Movies in the past.

I'm still not convinced on the driving part. I have heard people say they use their own car even when they are staying onsite, but have never understood it. I am picturing the long trek out to the hot parking lot at the end of a long day and the bumper to bumper traffic as you and several thousand of your friends try to make their way out on the same road. Even if I have to wait for my bus, once on it I am in air conditioning and can doze while someone else finds their way to my resort. We have always been so glad to not be dragging ourselves out to the parking lot.

On the other hand (you see why I am such a bad decision maker??) many people seem to stay offsite judging by the millions of hotel rooms in Orlando. One reply mentioned it being more relaxing to be away from the frantic Disney pace--that sounds good, but we tend to be at the parks from opening to closing. I will be asleep almost all of the time we are at the hotel. I guess when I read my own words it is clear I want to stay onsite. We will have to see how the money comes out.

Thanks so much for the replies. I look forward to any more info.

Sherry

Sherry, any chance you are an annual pass holder? You might call and ask if there is an AP rate - even though it is Easter week. If you can save $20 or $30 per night on the All Stars with an AP rate, it will be worth purchasing one AP to get the lower rate.

Are you or your DH a teacher, a nurse, or a government employee... to get the $129 rate at the Swan or Dolphin?

I've already said it's worth the extra money for the convenience of being on-site. Also - with the parks really crowded, you may find yourselves going back to the hotel mid-day for a swim or to relax and return later in the day...something that's more difficult to do if you are off-site. Check www.mousesavers.com to make sure there is no lower rate you might be able to snag for that week.

We've stayed on site and off And sometimes split and done both. I can totally sympathize with your dilemna. We've got reservations for 3/16 for two nights at that $109 and it's killing me to spend that money. (We're offsetting with first and lst nights at the airport - we arrive late and leave early) We're going with others who really want to be onsite. That being said,we have never run across traffic issues when we've been off or on site. And after our first on site trip we ALWAYS rent a car and drive everywhere. There's somw e-ride nights posted that may or may not be official, but may consider splitting the trip and staying two places. Personally, I'm still hoping a last minute code will come out. If I can get a code to bring me under $75 dollars, I'd add another night on site.

I usually stay offsite, and even during busy periods, traffic isn't that much of a problem. One word of advice, when the parks are closing, is to linger. Shop a bit on Main Street, on Hollywood Blvd or in Future World. Let the crowds get to their cars and leave. Sit on a bench and watch the castle change colors. If you rush out, you will inevitably get trapped in the rush of cars. Just let them all go first, while you enjoy the night-time atmosphere of the parks, and then when you leave, the crush will be gone. :)

We;ve stayed off=site and this is our first time to stay on-site! I can't wait. But having stayed off-site I can tell you that it can be frustrating. But at the same time you can get away from everything if it gets to be too much. And if you have a choice between staying off-site or not going at all, I'd stay off-site.

8 more days to the Magic!!!

We've stayed on and off-site and have had fun either way!!:)

Staying off site can be more than okay, it can be great.... I just can't see paying several hundred dollars more to stay on site. By choosing to stay off site we were able to add several days to our vacation. If I had unlimited funds, of course I would stay at deluxe resorts, but if it means spending eight or ten days at WDW vs. four or five days, you bet I am going to stay off site.

We have had great sucess using priceline. I don't believe we have paid more than $30 per night. Even if we stayed on site, DH would insist on a rental car, so that is not an issue for us... We always travel in off peak seasons, so I cannot comment on that, but we have never had any problems with traffic or parking.

We had planned to stay on site this past December, but with the cancellation of EE, it just wasn't worth it.

I have never had any issues w/ off site hotels. Just do it! I think it is well worth itl

If you're staying several days, why don't you spend the first part off-site, then move to All-Stars for the last two or three nights? If it turns out you don't like off-site, you'll know you'll soon be on-site. Also, you might get to do an e-night. We're debating this same issue for our next trip. I think the hassle of driving will be okay for a few days, but that I would get tired of it over a few days. We also really like e-night. The past couple trips we've spent our first and last nights off-site and we'll continue to do that unless we're arriving really early in the day. I don't mind spending the day at a park, then hitting the road -- we left our van at the resort and just rode the bus back there.

I've stayed at one of the Hampton Inns (can't remember if it was east or west). It was a new hotel that was very nice. Rooms had a refrigerator and microwave.

offsite will be ok!

in 4-97 we stayed half onsite and half off. we're going this april and it will be all offsite.

last trip we rented a car and drove to parks most of the time anyway. there are also
creative ways to do things, also. if you have ressies at a resort for dinner, wl, or swan,
or contemporary you can utilize that parking and visit the parks after dinner while your
car remains at the resort! this worked wonderfully in '97. and you truly feel the magic.

we are ending our vacation this time with a 3-day cruise, so i need to pinch pennies while visiting
parks, etc. staying off-site and eating offsite will help.

hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter