Contract sold….now for the FIRPTA issue..


Apr 7, 2005
We sold our contract recently and proceeds received no problem. Our issue is that we’ve been told that to claim the tax back, we need to get our passports “certified by the US Embassy or Consulate“, not just notarised by a notary. I’ve tried finding out who to contact, I’ve rung the Embassy but couldn’t speak to a human!

We have been using a Firpta agent in the US but really is not proving any help!

Is there anyone who can advise please?

I Run Long

DIS Veteran
Mar 16, 2007
You may want to post this question in the DVC Purchasing or DVC Miscellaneous thread since there are so many international resale owners that post there. I hope you get the answer to your question soon.


DIS Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
I think that you make contact with your local Notary and seek his help

I think that you sign the papers , in front of the notary who should

send those papers off to to The U.K. Department of Foreign Affaries ,

They then return the papers , with their stamp ,to your solicitor.

He / you send the complete papers off to the IRS


DIS Veteran
Apr 28, 2003
Sounds very complicated. I am sure someone actually posted the passport to the agent in the USA once, seem to remember a post a while ago, not something you really want to do though

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts