CONTEMPORARY MOSQUITOES?

Cheyflan

there's a great big beautiful tomorrow
My DBF and I just finished up our most recent vacation tonight which ended with us watching HEA at the Contemporary. While leaving we noticed the hotel was COVERED in mosquitoes. They were all over the walls near The Wave and the escalator from The California Grill down to Reception. There was dead ones all over floor and clinging to nearly every surface in that area. It was even worse out by the bus stop we did not even wait for our bus in the station because they were swarned in giant black patches at the bus stop. I can imagine these also being a problem on lower floor rooms around the Garden Wing. Is this a NORMAL thing?? I had only been over to the Contemporary for lunch once before this and did not notice them. It made the hotel look gross and we were terrified of being bit.

Now, Florida heat and near the lake I understand things like this can happen, but is there any prevention of this or do you just live with it?

Contemporary was my #2 place of wanting to stay but has quickly moved off my list due to this problem and being terrified of mosquitoes.

I think there's still an abundance of mosquitos after the hurricane. I know they were a huge problem at most resorts after the storm thanks to an abundance of standing water.

This sounds more like Love Bugs than mosquitoes. At least I think they are called Love Bugs. We had them one year at CR - they were all over the pool area - loved the white towels, chairs, walls of the pool house building.

They look a bit like mosquitos but are a little bigger. They don’t bite or cause any problems, more just a nuisance.

They gave me the willies at first (because I hardly ever see bugs at WDW) but the CMs said it was pretty normal and they come around a couple of times a year.

Hope it was those and not mosquitos!

Last edited:

This sounds more like Love Bugs than mosquitoes. At least I think they are called Love Bugs. We had them one year at CR - they were all over the pool area - loved the white towels, chairs, walls of the pool house building.

They look a bit like mosquitos but are a little bigger. They don’t bite or cause any problems, more just a nuisance.

They gave me the willies at first (because I hardly ever seen bugs at WDW) but the CMs said it was pretty normal and they come around a couple of times a year.

Hope it was those and not mosquitos!

That’s exactly where my mind went too while reading the description. It really sounds like love bugs. At least I hope that what they were. I’ve never seen hoards and hoards of mosquitos anywhere (nor do I want to - yuck) and we cottage in some seriously mosquito ridden places up here in Canada.

I doubt these are love bugs or mosquitoes, neither really fly that late at night especially in swarms These sound more like midges or flying ants, both that I have seen while living in Florida.

Could be mosquitoes. We just stayed at the CR. We didn't get any bites (but we wore repellent), but at night I did notice some mosquitoes around our balcony. I didn't see many of them, but there were more than I've noticed in previous visits.

I doubt these are love bugs or mosquitoes, neither really fly that late at night especially in swarms These sound more like midges or flying ants, both that I have seen while living in Florida.
Love bug fall season is generally Aug-Sept and they do fly in swarms and tend to cluster on walls, etc. I live about an hour from WDW and saw a few yesterday. If they are black with reddish orange dots on them...they are love bugs.

th

Definitely sounds more like love bugs than mosquitoes, but, I will say, I live 90 min from Disney and the 3 weeks following Irma, we were inundated with giant swarms of mosquitoes.
I’ve never had a problem with them, they tend to leave me alone, but working in the yard a few hours I was covered in bites.
We were at Wilderness Lodge 2 weeks ago, and didn’t see any more mosquitoes than usual. Be smart and take advantage of the mosquito repellent offered.

I don’t believe they were love bugs, I didn’t see any red. It is also possible they aren’t mosquitos. Here’s a bad picture, this wasn’t even NEAR the worst of it.

Attachments

• BB320512-A0E9-45C7-815B-E2D994AB570E.jpeg
    BB320512-A0E9-45C7-815B-E2D994AB570E.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 120
Those look very similar to whatever bug I experienced at CR last September. They’d cover walls just like that. But other than being annoying, they didn’t bite.

Funny enough, we saw them a lot the first few days of the trip but not a trace the last few. I figured either the weather changed to something those bugs didn’t like or Disney sprayed something ‘good’ around. :-)

We stayed at BLT last weekend and noticed these mosquitoes (bugs, whatever they are), too. In fact, we went out on our balcony for a few minutes the first night and then we had tons in our room. Needless to say, we didn’t utilize the balcony anymore during our stay.

My DBF and I just finished up our most recent vacation tonight which ended with us watching HEA at the Contemporary. While leaving we noticed the hotel was COVERED in mosquitoes. They were all over the walls near The Wave and the escalator from The California Grill down to Reception. There was dead ones all over floor and clinging to nearly every surface in that area. It was even worse out by the bus stop we did not even wait for our bus in the station because they were swarned in giant black patches at the bus stop. I can imagine these also being a problem on lower floor rooms around the Garden Wing. Is this a NORMAL thing?? I had only been over to the Contemporary for lunch once before this and did not notice them. It made the hotel look gross and we were terrified of being bit.

Now, Florida heat and near the lake I understand things like this can happen, but is there any prevention of this or do you just live with it?

Contemporary was my #2 place of wanting to stay but has quickly moved off my list due to this problem and being terrified of mosquitoes.
I’ve seen this before a few times that we stayed at CR! It was disgusting! Before this, I had never really seen mosquitoes at WDW anywhere. What we saw were definitely mosquitoes.

I think there's still an abundance of mosquitos after the hurricane. I know they were a huge problem at most resorts after the storm thanks to an abundance of standing water.
I saw this too twice in 2 different years.
The most recent was early this yr in March.

I was thinking love bugs were more of a problem in May and September, but October as well?

I’ve seen this before a few times that we stayed at CR! It was disgusting! Before this, I had never really seen mosquitoes at WDW anywhere. What we saw were definitely mosquitoes.
What we saw on our balcony were definitely mosquitoes also.

I checked into the CR today. I didn't see any bugs until about 10 minutes ago. Went to sit on my balcony to watch the Halloween fireworks and the overhang is covered with them. They are definitely not love bugs.

I can't tell from the pic if they are mosquitos or not. Like some others, I grew up and lived in Florida and it is really common to see bugs in areas where there is light. They just hang out there - so sometimes you'll also get frogs, salamanders and lizards!

We were in the parks 3 weeks ago and I did get a few mosquito bites on my legs which doesn't normally happen. I did not use repellant. I've read that the mosquito population really blossomed after Irma and that will take some time to correct.

The Contemporary is basically surrounded by swamp so it's totally normal that there will sometimes be bugs there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter