Contemporary Construction

mom2d&b

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me what they are doing in regards to the construction in front of the Contemporary?

They are expanding bus stops in front of MK

The obvious answer motive is to expand the capabilities of the bus stops and allow for better transportation...

but i'm going to take a broader implication approach (my first time :) ) and say that this could potentially (theory) be a step that may lead to two other things down the line:

1. Allowing for the polynesian to "steal" some space away from the TTC (i.e. eliminating some of the bus service from there)for the yet to be announced but completely obvious DVC expansion...

2. Allowing for more capacity at MK for the eventual elimination of the monorail system. don't laugh...its coming.

OK if the monorails are going to be leaving, is this "future" for day guests? People spending $500 a night to sleep in the Poly of the GF? Or are they leaving for everyone?

Thanks,

Larry

The construction is to expand the bus stop. Disney will soon incorporate the reticulated busses (the bus and a half) and with their turn radius, can't maneuver in the current bus stop, the outer wrap design is also changing. I've confirmed this with several co-workers, also you can see a couple busses with the new black and red design starting to drive around on property.

OK if the monorails are going to be leaving, is this "future" for day guests? People spending $500 a night to sleep in the Poly of the GF? Or are they leaving for everyone?

Thanks,

Larry

I think at this point that its painfully obvious that TWDC want rid of the monorails...particularly in florida.

those trains are long overdue for replacement...and there has been no interest in either that or further use of the system.

As far as the room rates at the "monorail" hotels...well they're getting ripped off. have been for years and will continue to be. and the preservation of the monorail does little to affect this. its' not "worth it" with the trains nor will it be very much "less worth it" without.

anyway...i'm just kicking the can...just theories from me

i couldnt find any bus drivers to ask:cool2:

The construction is to expand the bus stop. Disney will soon incorporate the reticulated busses (the bus and a half) and with their turn radius, can't maneuver in the current bus stop, the outer wrap design is also changing. I've confirmed this with several co-workers, also you can see a couple busses with the new black and red design starting to drive around on property.

Articulated buses have a greater turn radius than standard 40' buses. The adjustment necessary is to provide stop areas that are large enough to house the buses when they are picking up/dropping off passengers.

Articulated buses have a greater turn radius than standard 40' buses. The adjustment necessary is to provide stop areas that are large enough to house the buses when they are picking up/dropping off passengers.

just to clarify-- a greater turn radius means they need more space to turn-- I would think they would have a lesser turn radius, which is what I think you are saying.

I know that's what he's trying to say. :)

I think that killing the monorail would be a seriously hard set to the guests. The Monorail is so iconic to the parks. But as said, they don't seem to be investing much in it...the only real investment lately, aside from the replacement of the two damaged trainsets, was the addition of a maintenance stub spur.

But I'd also need more information to decide if the trainsets actually need to be replaced wholesale.

I could see potentially shutting down the Epcot beam though.

Stealing space from the TTC for the Poly would be a problem - the buses are actually on the opposite end, and isn't in a good position for much of anything. They'd actually have to take the ferry dock area instead. Much more and they'd have to take/relocate the monorail platforms (which if they were shutting down the monorail itself, doesn't matter).

Having been a monorail pilot in the past, and maintaining good connections with the department:
Monorails aren't going away soon. 10, 12 years maybe, but Disney is spending a cool 30 million in automating the system. There is currently a trailer somewhere near central shops with the team dedicated to designing the automation.
Trains will always have a "Pilot" on board, but mostly for contingency. The hope is to prevent trains from stopping at hold points. The trains will slow down automatically to prevent stopping on the open beam way.
One of the biggest reasons the monorails are inefficient is the pilot. 20 year old trains can't be driven the way most 20-30 year olds drive. You can't B4 to P5 and back again constantly. They need love.

just to clarify-- a greater turn radius means they need more space to turn-- I would think they would have a lesser turn radius, which is what I think you are saying.

And that's why everyone should proof-read their own posts.

Articulated buses are able to make tighter turns than standard buses.

Having been a monorail pilot in the past, and maintaining good connections with the department:
Monorails aren't going away soon. 10, 12 years maybe, but Disney is spending a cool 30 million in automating the system. There is currently a trailer somewhere near central shops with the team dedicated to designing the automation.
Trains will always have a "Pilot" on board, but mostly for contingency. The hope is to prevent trains from stopping at hold points. The trains will slow down automatically to prevent stopping on the open beam way.
One of the biggest reasons the monorails are inefficient is the pilot. 20 year old trains can't be driven the way most 20-30 year olds drive. You can't B4 to P5 and back again constantly. They need love.

good to hear-- I hope you are right.

I would think the cost of removing the monorail tracks would come close to the cost of new trains. Maybe they could paint trees on them.

I remember when the Bombardier trains went on line. Disney had to "up" the electrical capacity as they trains were such power hogs. If they replace the trains with efficient models no reason they can't be cheaper to operate then buses. Besides we hate buses and resist using them. Getting rid of the monorails will just increase traffic on the roads and will make their guests angry. I remember back in the 80s when they stopped all boat service on Bay Lake. Took years of writing nasty letters to get it restarted. We own at BLT so we will not change where we stay but will just drive to the Poly or GF instead of taking the monorail. Just does not make sense on their part but they again they are also the ones that thought standardizing products would also be a good idea. I do like the automation idea. The trains around Washington are automated and work quite well.

The articulated bus has a turning radius a little less than 4 ft wider than the standard bus. But what they need is extra distance to pull in straight to the stop. It's not really about turning radius but stop length.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter