Consignment Sale, Consignment Store, or Yard Sale?

1rockinmamato2

<marquee><font color=red> *** <font color=green>I
I have tons of clothes, toys, bedding, accessories that need to go!!! A lot of it is very nice that is in like new condition.

I am wondering if you all think I will make more money doing a consignment sale (70% profit), a consignment store (like Once Upon a Child), or a yard sale?

The consignment sale would be more work. I've never used Once Upon a Child and I don't like the idea of not pricing my own stuff. And I'm having a yard sale anyway (all clothes and toys that are not consignment quality will go in it).

I wanted to hang onto this stuff in case there was another child sometime in the near future, but I can't keep everything. We are going to have to build onto the house if I do. :rotfl2:

Plus, the money I make is going toward our next Disney trip. :thumbsup2

I probably would take things to a consignment store if it were me. Less hassle (someone else sells it for me - and they probably get more "traffic" than I would at a yard sale).

Plus to people around here, yard sale = super cheap. I can't fathom the yard sales that I see on shows like "clean house", etc. Here, I'm lucky if I can unload even nice items at a yard sale for more than $1-2. :(

I've always done better with the consignment sales. Another thing with them is you get the money fairly quick than if you take it to a store.

I've never had much luck at yard sales.

I agree with mannasn. Around here, everyone wants to pay peanuts for things at yard sales. Plus I have to do all the work and advertise it. The shirt that someone wants to pay only .50 for at my yard sale can get sold for $5 at the consignment shop. The consignment shop I use gives me 50% of the selling price, so I make $2.50 on that shirt instead of .50. Plus I don't have to do any work except bag it up and drop it off.

The one big downside with the consignment shop is that she has set dates in which she will accept things. She only takes summer items up through end of June. Only takes Christmas items in December. Only takes winter items through end of Feb. This is because she will keep items for 60 days, so taking summer stuff after June 30 will mean they are still there after Sept 1, which doesn't do her much good. The only other "downside" is that you can soemtimes sell things at yard sales that might have a spot, stain, hole, rip or ripped seam, but the consignment shop won't take those. And they are very picky about shoes.

But overall, I've done SO MUCH better taking everything there.

Kimya

I'd go with consignment sale. We do JBF four times a year (2 locations each spring and fall) and make $400+ every sale. You can set your own prices and determine if they are discounted on 25% and 50% off days. JBF keeps 30%, you get 70%. JBF also lets you opt to donate unsold items and provides you with a receipt for tax deductions.

I agree with the yard sale prices. People want to give me a quarter for Ralph Lauren jeans that I could sell at JBF for $20 or more! I usually have yard sales just to get rid of things I can't consign through JBF.

Not sure what JBF is but Once Upon a Child is a rip off. I've taken things there when I just needed to dump the items and would be happy for just a couple bucks in total.

Consignment stores normally have a pretty tight acceptance and payment schedule so that's something you'd need to understand pretty well for each store.

Have you tried Craigslist for any bigger items? Esp baby gear. It's free to list so you aren't out anything other than a minute or two to make a listing.

We do yard sales and make a ton of money from them each year. Never made less than 1k from a single yard sale. Last year we made over 4k between 3 sales. If you price the items just right they will sell and you'll make your money.

Not sure what JBF is but Once Upon a Child is a rip off. I've taken things there when I just needed to dump the items and would be happy for just a couple bucks in total.

Consignment stores normally have a pretty tight acceptance and payment schedule so that's something you'd need to understand pretty well for each store.

Have you tried Craigslist for any bigger items? Esp baby gear. It's free to list so you aren't out anything other than a minute or two to make a listing.

We do yard sales and make a ton of money from them each year. Never made less than 1k from a single yard sale. Last year we made over 4k between 3 sales. If you price the items just right they will sell and you'll make your money.

Just Between Friends (JBF) is a consignment sale. I think it's JBFsale.com. They're only held in certain areas. They're franchises, so someone in your area has to start one, but we do very well and find some very good deals!! We got a good size climbing toy for $60 last fall. I looked it up, and it retailed for almost $200. Do I sound like a commercial? Haha!!:laughing:

I didn't think about Craigslist! That's a good route, too! I just started doing the whole CL thing a couple months ago, and I've gotten rid of A LOT of stuff and received a pretty decent chunk of change for it!:thumbsup2

I vote consignment sale! Just pull a few things a day and price them for the sale. At our sale in the spring, if you work one of the two days then you get 100% of your sale.

I have tons of clothes, toys, bedding, accessories that need to go!!! A lot of it is very nice that is in like new condition.

I am wondering if you all think I will make more money doing a consignment sale (70% profit), a consignment store (like Once Upon a Child), or a yard sale?

The consignment sale would be more work. I've never used Once Upon a Child and I don't like the idea of not pricing my own stuff. And I'm having a yard sale anyway (all clothes and toys that are not consignment quality will go in it).

I wanted to hang onto this stuff in case there was another child sometime in the near future, but I can't keep everything. We are going to have to build onto the house if I do. :rotfl2:

Plus, the money I make is going toward our next Disney trip. :thumbsup2

I would do a consignment sale, and then have a yard sale to get rid of what's left over after that. Once Upon a Child doesn't pay much at all. At least, they didn't the last time I went there. I prefer setting my own prices, too.

I would also vote Consignment Sale. However, I am probably a little biased since I am a manager for our local consignment sale! It is work to get everything ready for the sale but the hourly amount of money you can make is definitely worth it to me! :goodvibes Good Luck!!

I just donate my stuff to Goodwill or another charity( unwed teens or womens shelter) and take it off my income tax. Less hassle all around and I know it is going to good use.

I would recommend the consignment sale for the clothes and medium sized items. I've gotten really good prices on things like baby swings, pack and play, unused potty chair, etc. The only problem is that it takes a lot of time to label everything, especially smaller items like clothes. For the bigger items, such as cribs, high chairs, etc. Craig's List might be a better way to go. We are about to list our crib on Craig's List - it seems easier than a consignment sale and probably more money than at a consignment store. Good Luck! :)

I just donate my stuff to Goodwill or another charity( unwed teens or womens shelter) and take it off my income tax. Less hassle all around and I know it is going to good use.

Consignment sale, then what this poster said:thumbsup2 I made almost $300 at the consignment sale I participated in last October. I had lots of coats and holiday dresses, and made good money. Volunteered for a 3 hour shift and made 70%. Without volunteering, I would have earned 50%. Still better than a yard sale.

IMHO, yards sales are only worth it if you need to get rid of large items like furniture that would cost you $ to get rid of.

I posted earlier about going with the consignment sale. I forgot about Craigslist too. I sold several things on Craigslist without any trouble at all. The first people that looked at the items bought them. I had a kitchen, power wheels, tool workshop and some other items. I would try Craiglist for your larger items before the sale and then if you don't sale them, take them to the sale.

The consignment sales around here usually have a $5 registration fee and charge 1/3 of the price of the item. Even with that I have made $150 a sale and still had a few clothes left to either try at a yard sale or a consignment shop that buys the clothes outright. Then what is left goes to a friend or is donated. If you plan early, it is no trouble to price the items. Or you can do like I do and wait til the last minute. I work better under pressure.:rotfl:

I know a lot of people that make a lot more but they have girl's clothes. I have a 7yr old boy so I have been pleased with what I make at the sales.

In our area, if you contribute, you get a priority shopping number that enables you to shop before the public. If you work the sale, you get to shop before anyone does. Early shopping is the benefit for working the sales here.

for those who do the consignment sales, what do you price your clothes at? I saw they take 70% (I wouldn't be able to refer ppl or work the sale) so I'd want to make enough to cover the extensive amount of time it will be to price and hang everything to their satisfaction.

I've got tons of girls gymbo clothes in several sizes that I'd like to sell off for more than just a few bucks.

TIA! I found a JBF sale here in Indy and it's in May so I have enough time to tag everything if it is worth it.

The sale I do has a minimum of $3 per item. You can also choose whether you want to discount them on the 25% and 50% off days. I always mark mine at what I would pay for them. I keep in mind too, what it would sell for if the item sells for 50% off.

If you have any nice pieces, smocked items or nwt tags, just keep in mind that if you price it for $20 and you want that out of it, you need to mark it so it will not get discounted or mark it up enough that you can still make money if discounted. Also, factor in the % that the sale gets.

$20 item--you would make around $15 if not disounted after fee.

$20 item--50% off you would make around $7 after fee

Clothes sell for more than at a yard sale and a lot of the sales are picky about what they take so that their sales can be known as quality sales.

for those who do the consignment sales, what do you price your clothes at? I saw they take 70% (I wouldn't be able to refer ppl or work the sale) so I'd want to make enough to cover the extensive amount of time it will be to price and hang everything to their satisfaction.

No, no, YOU KEEP 70% (much better, huh :) )

I definitely vote consignment sale for your clothing and smaller toys. Like another poster suggested, try Craigslist for your big items and if they don't sell, then take them to the consignment sale. For a few years now I've been selling at a big semi-annual kid's sale and I've always been pleased with the results...last sale I made over $600. I actually buy things at yard sales to resell if the price is right, especially clothing.

As for pricing, 15-25% of the retail value is usually the guideline, depending on the popularity, quality and condition of the item.

I won't kid you, it is alot of work (I spent a few hours this weekend just starting to gather stuff up and price it...I've got many more hours ahead of me) but the payoff is worth it. I always use part of the money to pay for their clothes for next season (which I've already bought at clearance sales).
I usually have very little that doesn't sell, but anything left over will go into our yard sale later this spring.

Hmmm, I know A LOT of unwed teens!! :laughing: ;) Goodwill workers tend to take what they like before it is put into the stores. I prefer charities who just give the items as opposed to selling them, anyway.

I've got tons of girls gymbo clothes in several sizes that I'd like to sell off for more than just a few bucks.

TIA! I found a JBF sale here in Indy and it's in May so I have enough time to tag everything if it is worth it.

JBF only keeps 70% if they prepare your items for you. I don't know if all JBF sales offer that, but ours does. Otherwise, they keep 30%, you get 70%!!:thumbsup2

JBF only keeps 70% if they prepare your items for you. I don't know if all JBF sales offer that, but ours does. Otherwise, they keep 30%, you get 70%!!:thumbsup2

That's interesting, the sale I participate in doesn't offer that. I wouldn't do it anyway, I want the money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter