• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

Glad to have a trip update from you! Christmas is such a magical time to be at WDW and I’m so glad you went!
Thank you, it truly is a magical time to be at Disney! I am so grateful to be here.
I am also sad so many trips had to be canceled for so many. Of course there are worse things and going on a trip isn’t the most important thing to everyone, but as this thread is about Christmas trips, I am just talking about that. Positive thinking and hoping we will be past the current state of the pandemic once and for all after January… (wishful thinking?)
I didn’t look at the news much since leaving Canada on the 19th, took a look today and whoa. 😱
Hard to stay optimistic all the time but this is Christmas 🎄 I believe that it will get better soon.

Thank you, it truly is a magical time to be at Disney! I am so grateful to be here.
I am also sad so many trips had to be canceled for so many. Of course there are worse things and going on a trip isn’t the most important thing to everyone, but as this thread is about Christmas trips, I am just talking about that. Positive thinking and hoping we will be past the current state of the pandemic once and for all after January… (wishful thinking?)
I didn’t look at the news much since leaving Canada on the 19th, took a look today and whoa. 😱
Hard to stay optimistic all the time but this is Christmas 🎄 I believe that it will get better soon.

I am so glad you had such a great time!

yep, don’t look at that news, you will hear it enough when you get back. Enjoy every moment

In the interest of full disclosure, I felt like I should come back and update. We tested again today after coming home on the 23rd and we now have a positive Covid case in the family. Not sure if we picked it up at Disney or in transit, but it was definitely one or the other.

Luckily it seems mild so far.

Best wishes to everyone else for continued health after their trips. We knew this was a risk, we gambled and we lost.

Be optimistic! Hospital cases are still low.
In the interest of full disclosure, I felt like I should come back and update. We tested again today after coming home on the 23rd and we now have a positive Covid case in the family. Not sure if we picked it up at Disney or in transit, but it was definitely one or the other.

Best wishes to everyone else for continued health after their trips. We knew this was a risk, we gambled and we lost.

I am glad you are home when this happened and didn't get stuck in the US.

Oh no, so sorry to hear this. Hope it continues to be mild. My bestie and her family of 5 all got covid this month from her daughter (who got it playing with the next door neighbour.) They literally do *nothing* - this variant doesnt seem to care. Take care!

Sorry to hear this. The same thing happened to us. We drove home straight through when our son tested positive Thursday on our personal rapid test and missed the rest of our trip. We all sick now but vaccinated and mild so far too.
Cases were low when we headed to Florida on Dec 10th but that is no longer the case in Florida or with all the people travelling there for the holidays.
We had drastically adjusted our plans while there to take precautions but with 3 kids, it just takes touching one thing before sanitizing!

I figure after this week and the 7 negative test results I received from beeper just now I should go buy a lottery ticket. If we test negative still after getting home then we will be a ok. All I know now is we get to fly home Monday morning!

We are here.

Arrived in Florida Christmas Eve and had Christmas Eve dinner at Boma. Christmas Day was Discovery Cove. Expectations exceeded!

Today, we get kid 3 his second vaccine dose at Walgreens and then SeaWorld.

Hubby stayed home (working nights). He texted last night to say he went home from work Christmas Day with a fever. @#!$%@#

Stress level just increased. But still having more fun than stress so that's good.

So sorry to hear. This happened to me to, but we were in NYC. I didn’t feel great the day we flew home so went for NAAT and it was negative. Chalked it up to not sleeping well. Flew home. Turned into a full blown cold the next day so we did rapid tests and I’m positive. The rest of my family is negative.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and it seems to be common that people test negative at first with omicron (sometimes for multiple days) because it takes awhile for the viral load to be enough to test positive.

I hope you stay well!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and those that have colds/Covid feel better soon.
We spent our last day in Disney yesterday- Christmas Day! It was really nice, Christmas carols everywhere and a very warm 24 Celsius (just cooler in the morning/evening and in the shade) - it was much warmer than the first couple of days we were in Orlando which was downright freezing, yes even for us Canadians lol. We talked to our family in SW Ontario yesterday and it was +8 at home so really Christmas was warmer than usual everywhere :) I was chatting with the bartender at POFQ pool who said last year at Christmas in Orlando, it was barely +10 Celsius and like +2 at night. Brrr… I would still go this time of the year but it is important to know it does get cold in central Florida during the winter, and even when it’s very warm, you need layers for mornings and evening.
Anyway - Departure Day: we flew MCO to Buffalo with Southwest, the flight was half full and I was just grateful it wasn’t cancelled, MCO was showing a bunch of flights canceled.
We crossed the land border (Peace Bridge Fort Erie) this morning and the border officer didn’t even ask to see our arriveCan receipt. I believe it’s because they got the info we uploaded once they scanned our passports. We got the usual questions, how long were we gone, where and what purpose. We said vacation in Orlando. Then we were asked to show our tests results, I had those printed for ease of access. The officer looked them over and then handed us an at-home COVID test for our DS12, saying to complete it within 24 hrs, and that he does not have to quarantine while waiting for the result. DH42 and myself (39) were not “selected” for the arrival test. All 3 of us are fully vaccinated and had negative tests. We logged onto Switch Health a couple of hours ago and had him complete his test via zoom call with a nurse. Took maybe 5 min to wait in queue and 5 min to do the test, the nurse had our son place it inside a purolator bag, seal it and asked us to keep it in the fridge until pick up.
Just prior to the zoom call test, we did another antigen test we had and they were also negative.
All in all I would say that if one is going to travel in the next month or two, going to the US and crossing by land seems easiest and fairly hassle free compared to flying from Canada.
Today was a nice sunny day at home, I was happy to be back, opening presents and relaxing… though missing Disney already.
We have a cruise in about 22 days, fully paid for, flights and all from Buffalo again, what should we do? I think we will stay put and maybe go for March break? I think the cruise is still on as I keep getting emails, got out luggage tags... Ugh… it will be hard to cancel.

Last edited:
We made it to Nashville about 1pm today. What a drive 😬. We had freezing rain for the first 4.5 hours. We saw so many accidents, cars in ditches, was horrendous. Thankful we made it, thankful we took the truck with good winter tires. Tomorrow we will go out and about, and Tuesday onto Florida. Very mild here, 21 today. The border was so quick, we had printed our vaccination proof, and they didn’t even ask.

We made it to Nashville about 1pm today. What a drive 😬. We had freezing rain for the first 4.5 hours. We saw so many accidents, cars in ditches, was horrendous. Thankful we made it, thankful we took the truck with good winter tires. Tomorrow we will go out and about, and Tuesday onto Florida. Very mild here, 21 today. The border was so quick, we had printed our vaccination proof, and they didn’t even ask.
Drive safe!! We’ve been through Tennessee in that weather & it’s no joke! Kept watching the temp on both legs of our trip (full on rain both ways) and praying it wouldn’t freeze. Hoping for better weather for the rest of your journey.

Drive safe!! We’ve been through Tennessee in that weather & it’s no joke! Kept watching the temp on both legs of our trip (full on rain both ways) and praying it wouldn’t freeze. Hoping for better weather for the rest of your journey.

Thank you! The worst was through NY and after, my husband had to keep opening his window grab his wiper to bang it, as the ice formed instantly. Good thing I was in the back seat I tell ya 🥴 Best part is, he was saying let’s just take the Honda, I’m like no no, I feel better in the truck, plus with Our friends and comfort, etc. Anyway, that is behind us, I just feel for all those in the accidents.

Glad to hear it's mild and hopefully everyone else in the house will also be okay. We have family that are positive right now and all are mild cases as well.

it was much warmer than the first couple of days we were in Orlando which was downright freezing, yes even for us Canadians lol. We talked to our family in SW Ontario yesterday and it was +8 at home so really warmer than usual everywhere :) I was chatting with the bartender at POFQ pool who said last year at Christmas in Orlando, it was barely +10 Celsius and like +2 at night. Brrr… I would still go this time of the year but it is important to know it does get cold in central Florida during the winter, and even when it’s very warm, you need layers for mornings and evening.

This is because there is nothing like cold in the South. Nothing.

I have had two times I thought I would never be warm again, and I am a person who says I never get cold. Neither of the two times were in Canada.

One was in Williamsburg Virginia at Busch Gardens Christmas Town.

The other was one Boxing Day waiting for a AKL bus that never came in 29 degrees fahrenheit.

One of these times I started crying, silently. I was SO cold.
But I can not remember which time as I have wiped them from my memory. :rotfl2:

Home from our Christmas trip. No regrets! We stayed at Cabana Bay and loved it. We wore n95 the whole time. Got my youngest his dose 2 of Pfizer while there. Lost my credit card in the volcano bay lazy river but got it back at end of day. My phone got the black screen of death and was useless for the last half of the trip. Utilized early entry and late touring to avoid the crush of humanity. Had a blissful Christmas Day at Discovery Cove after Christmas Eve buffet at Boma. Departed from Sanford airport which was a calm and quiet dream compared with MCO. BeeperMD was a fail but got free testing elsewhere.

Came home covid free only to find my husband got covid from work and was sick as a dog almost the whole time we were gone.

Home from our Christmas trip. No regrets! We stayed at Cabana Bay and loved it. We wore n95 the whole time. Got my youngest his dose 2 of Pfizer while there. Lost my credit card in the volcano bay lazy river but got it back at end of day. My phone got the black screen of death and was useless for the last half of the trip. Utilized early entry and late touring to avoid the crush of humanity. Had a blissful Christmas Day at Discovery Cove after Christmas Eve buffet at Boma. Departed from Sanford airport which was a calm and quiet dream compared with MCO. BeeperMD was a fail but got free testing elsewhere.

Came home covid free only to find my husband got covid from work and was sick as a dog almost the whole time we were gone.
Oh no! Glad you had a good trip
I hope he is on the mend

We are in Florida still. Weather is the best I think I’ve seen for December ! We have our boosters scheduled for Monday morning. I read all about these Beeper Md fails, so we booked Walgreens and cvs for Thursday . We will leave either Friday or Saturday. Really enjoyed Nashville, but could have just come straight here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter