CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

Well, they're showing a live stream of Illuminations this week, see here: https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/disney-pa...ections-of-earth-live-from-epcot-on-march-28/

Now saying "Late summer 2019" and promising an exciting look ahead, so maybe some news finally?

Honestly, if they're ending it August or early September, that makes my decision to just bump back to November a lot easier. I'm okay with it, last time we saw Illuminations was as perfect as could be and I don't want to mess with that memory.

Matt

Well, they're showing a live stream of Illuminations this week, see here: https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/disney-pa...ections-of-earth-live-from-epcot-on-march-28/

Now saying "Late summer 2019" and promising an exciting look ahead, so maybe some news finally?

Honestly, if they're ending it August or early September, that makes my decision to just bump back to November a lot easier. I'm okay with it, last time we saw Illuminations was as perfect as could be and I don't want to mess with that memory.

Matt
I will be so mad if they move it up that much. I will never be able to find a DVC room :-(. I just want a darn date though I sure hope we get one this week.
I do know they have still been booking the Illuminations Dining package through the end of September.

I will be so mad if they move it up that much. I will never be able to find a DVC room :-(. I just want a darn date though I sure hope we get one this week.
I do know they have still been booking the Illuminations Dining package through the end of September.
Illuminations is currently on the schedule until Sept. 22nd I believe. Obviously can change but I don't expect it to end in August.

When I saw they were streaming I did wonder if maybe they were finally going to give us the date.

Matt
And...so much for getting an answer tonight. They postponed the live stream to April 9th :-(.

And...so much for getting an answer tonight. They postponed the live stream to April 9th :-(.
I saw! Argh! Still holding two reservations, going to just proceed as normal until I absolutely have to buy tickets or we get an answer.

Part of me wants to just pull the trigger on November and accept never seeing Illuminations again, but it kills me!

Matt

So I'm sitting here listening to Reflections of Earth at work and it's going to be really, really weird not to hear it at Epcot next time we are there. I cant imagine anything being better than this soundtrack.

I wish I knew last time we watched it would be the last time. :(

Sads.

So I'm sitting here listening to Reflections of Earth at work and it's going to be really, really weird not to hear it at Epcot next time we are there. I cant imagine anything being better than this soundtrack.

I wish I knew last time we watched it would be the last time. :(

Sads.

I am going to miss Illuminations.

I'm usually one who is on board with things running their course, being replaced, and new tech. I usually embrace old rides being replaced with new ones and new shows replacing tired old ones. It didn't bother me in the slightest when they replaced Wishes. Isn't doesn't bother me we lost the Great Movie ride to have the new Mickey Railroad ride, etc.

However there was just something about the whole Illuminations experience. The music, the narration, the globe, etc. I'll even miss the voice giving reminders the show will start soon....LOL.

I'm sure the new show will be good, but will it have the longterm nostalgic effect of Reflecktions of Earth?

I am going to miss Illuminations.

I'm usually one who is on board with things running their course, being replaced, and new tech. I usually embrace old rides being replaced with new ones and new shows replacing tired old ones. It didn't bother me in the slightest when they replaced Wishes. Isn't doesn't bother me we lost the Great Movie ride to have the new Mickey Railroad ride, etc.

However there was just something about the whole Illuminations experience. The music, the narration, the globe, etc. I'll even miss the voice giving reminders the show will start soon....LOL.

I'm sure the new show will be good, but will it have the longterm nostalgic effect of Reflecktions of Earth?

Impossible for me. I had already been going to WDW since I was a child, but 2000 was our (avatar) first trip as a couple in our mid-late 20s. Micky just said today that's his best memory of WDW, our first night watching it.

And then my dad (who's also been going with my mom this whole time and "gets" WDW) took us all as adults in 2011 when he was 73 and we were watching it and he was telling us all how he was so amazed the first time he saw the globe when the show first started.

I'm crying. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (I'm the good daughter, the rest of my siblings never caught the Disney bug)

But on to new things! He will be 81 when Micky and I go next year, we are trying to convince him to stay at Boardwalk with us. He can take it easy during the day by the pool and we can all do dinners at night and bash the new show together! ;)

I just squealed when I read that Epcot Forever will include Magic Journeys music. I only remember seeing Magic Journeys after it moved to MK (I was too little to remember it at Epcot) but that song seriously brings me back to my childhood. If other vintage Epcot songs like Tomorrow’s Child, New Horizons, Universe of Energy, It’s Fun to be Free, Listen to the Land, etc are included, I’ll be blubbering mess.

I sure hope Epcot Forever is still running in Feb. - I’m much more interested in that than the permanent new show.

I just squealed when I read that Epcot Forever will include Magic Journeys music. I only remember seeing Magic Journeys after it moved to MK (I was too little to remember it at Epcot) but that song seriously brings me back to my childhood. If other vintage Epcot songs like Tomorrow’s Child, New Horizons, Universe of Energy, It’s Fun to be Free, Listen to the Land, etc are included, I’ll be blubbering mess.

I sure hope Epcot Forever is still running in Feb. - I’m much more interested in that than the permanent new show.
Yeah I would love Tomorrow's Child and those others in this as well.

I know it's all just a guess, however informed, but does anyone think there is a chance that Epcot forever might be up and running by the time we are there in the last couple of weeks of August, going into September?

I suck at predictions, but my bet is Illuminations will end either at the same time SWGE opens or on the 20th anniversary of it's debut. I have reservations for both, I'm heavily leaning towards it being the anniversary, Oct. 1st. So yes, I think there's a chance. Don't take that to the bank though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!