• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Compromise is a Disney word: Taking one for the team over Thanksgiving 2016* August PTR link! 5/28

Hi Ariane! I just read your entire report and really enjoyed it!

I especially appreciate your thoughts on Universal, as we'll be heading there for a long-weekend trip this fall. I feel bad that they didn't provide the best QS food options - I actually enjoyed our food at Universal in 2015 (and 2012). Our favorites were lunch/dinner at the two Harry Potter restaurants, Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron (I agree that your breakfast looks lackluster), the Simpson's Food Court (I REALLY loved my burger there!) and a surprise hit with the Boulangerie (really good, fresh sandwiches and cheesecake). Considering I'm a Disney-ADR foodie fanatic, I was pleasantly surprised by our food at Universal (and appreciated that I didn't have to do much planning to get decent food).

I look forward to the reports on your March trip and your upcoming trip! I loved Flower and Garden last year and am excited to see your pictures from this year!

Marceline to the MK tour 8am

I'm super jealous of this. DH and I really want to do this one for the behind the scenes HM stuff! Can't wait to hear your experience when you get back.

Homecomin' dinner 6:10

I have been craving Homecoming all week!! I might stop by the pick up window on my trip. 10 days!!

I liked all the cups hanging up

Me too! I think it looks really cute.

he explained how not only are guests not staying at a Uni resort required to pay parking at the parks (just like Disney), but guests STAYING at their resorts and driving themselves to the parks ALSO have to pay

This is one of the main reasons we hesitate about a US only trip. We'd want to rent a car, and paying to park is one of my biggest pet peeves.

you'll get a card for EACH DAY

I also hate this. We don't do dining plans, but if we did, this would really put me off. I did not like juggling all the cards on our day trip, I can't imagine a week of card juggling. Good to hear they're working on this!

we rode the Jurassic Park ride (first time for Cathy) and tried to ride Pteranodon Flyers but we were all too tall to ride without a small human with us.

I was really bummed about this on our trip. Even our kids were too tall, so we were just out of luck!

This was a huge fail for me this time around. After loving it in 2015 it made me disgustingly nauseous for about 2 hours after this time. I felt gross. I went to our designated meeting spot but they weren't there yet so I watched Shrek and Fiona meet guests for awhile. This was the one day I had NO aspirin, advil, NOTHING in my purse which of course I didn't have with me anyway, so when the girls came back I reluctantly told them how I felt. After laughing at me - told you we really hit it off! - Cathy admitted Minions had given her a headache and we went in search of the First Aid location. I also don't remember where that is now, but I do know that after showing the approx. 16 year old employee there our ID's he handed over some aspirin which we quickly swallowed and went on our way. Within about 30 minutes I felt better thank goodness because for awhile there I thought I was going to heave :crazy2:

LOL, this sums up my experience after Forbidden Journey was followed up by MIB and Simpsons :crazy2:

I'm sorry you were feeling sick, but glad you guys hit the first aid and felt better.

"normally" they ask.

We rode the ferry boats and they weren't asking or checking anything. Can you imagine the ordeal it would be if they checked EVERY PERSON'S card before boarding the boat?? It would take forever!!

Everything at Toothsome looked incredible. I have to admit, those fancy milkshakes kind of stress me out. They seem to be a big trend everywhere lately, but while they look delicious and beautiful, they also look really intimidating! How do you even go about drinking/eating one? You need like every utensil known to man, LOL!!
(not to say I wouldn't make the attempt sometime...I wouldn't want to back down from a challenge!)

I like the hanging cups in SB very cool. The new King Kong ride does look fun. We liked Jurassic Park and Jaws before they took it away. My DD's love Dr. Doom. I had problems with the Amazing Spider-Man. I told Kathy when we visit again she'll be riding HP Forbidden Journey alone.
The Chocolate Emporium looks amazing I'm feeling a spike in my sugar just looking at your pictures ;)
The Blackberry Margarita looks yummy :drinking1
The little babies hanging up are FREAKY :scared1:
Lots of great information looking forward to your next update :goodvibes

Hoping to possibly meet up with @Wood Nymph since she'll be at the preview, also.

hopefully another DisMeet with @chunkymonkey
Aww, meets planned with the cool kids! I'm envious! :)

Try to RD MK to check out the new opening procedure/show
I'll be interested to hear your take.

back to MK for Happily Ever After.
As well as on this.

remember he works for Starbucks
What are his thoughts on the unicorn frap?? I almost stopped and got one yesterday after my zoo field trip but didn't. I rarely get Starbucks - shh, don't tell anyone but I'm just too frugal for it - and when I do, I get the low cal ones. Anyway, most people say it is too sour. Have you had it? I like the idea of the mango part...I love me some mango!

guests STAYING at their resorts and driving themselves to the parks ALSO have to pay :confused3 Wha??? Something I didn't realize and neither did many of the other TA's in the training. Yup, no passes given out for onsite guests with cars!
Wait...what????

but they definitely pass on how the do security!
You'll have to compare it to the new MK procedures.

breakfast at Three Broomsticks in Islands of Adventure.
SeeYaReelSoon ate breakfast there in one of their vlogs!

Um.....it was ok. It was a plain, standard breakfast.
Good to know!

they realized having multiple cards for the QS dining plan was clumsy and annoying.
Ya think??

The coolest part of the new ride was the HUGE Kong animatronic at the end.
He looks impressive!

but my preference is TOT - it also happens to be my favorite ride in all of WDW. The theming adds so much to it
The theming really makes the ride. I mean, the whole up and down thing is fun, but the story behind the ride just knocks it out of the park.

it made me disgustingly nauseous for about 2 hours after this time. I felt gross.
Oh no!

Within about 30 minutes I felt better thank goodness because for awhile there I thought I was going to heave :crazy2:
Oh goodness. I'm glad you felt better!

good-bye Alrrnps" What, has E.T. never heard the name Ariane before????
:rotfl2:

It made me dizzy when I did it with the family but we found out you can ask to sit in a stationary seat which is what Cathy and I did. The good part is that it can most likely make some people who suffer motion sickness less sick. The bad part is that it's right up in front of the screen so even though you're not getting dizzy or nauseous from the motion, being so close to the huge screen isn't much better........
This does not sound pleasant.

This place is awesome unless of course you hate sweets which of course, means you're nuts.
Agreed that one would be nuts if they didn't like sweets! Though I guess that just means more for me! :)

ow beautiful are these petite chocolates??? Sorry for the one sideways picture, photobucket was being stupid and wouldn't let me rotate:

These look so delicious.

And now for my favorite part: the macarons!! Melinda @pepperandchips here's what I was talking about, and right next to this display was another of the same size with all different flavors!!! My favorite flavors were the birthday cake which is the white one with the colored sprinkles in the front and the German chocolate, the middle in the back. The one that's half purple is PB&J, the two green ones in front are a mint chocolate and pistachio. I also remember a mocha late, chocolate of course, strawberry, and the blue & yellow one is something fruity:

Yummy! I only recently tried macarons....from Aldi of all places!

picture below:

Oh my goodness.....

I got the Blackberry Margarita and it was delicious, with sugar around the rim:

You have me drooling over here! Fruit and margarita together is a lovely combination.

I normally like salsa verde but this was overkill.
Definite overkill.

And these were the cutest ones! Some of them were downright scary.
Weird!

the water taxi's are just for guests of the resorts to which they belong.
Huh?

Ok, before I saw anything else WT* is up with those creepy dolls and how did your camera not break just by taking pictures of them. Whatever the story was it could not have justified all the creepiness.

Ok, now that I got that out of my system. Looks like you all had a great day. Though what was the point of you ordering breakfast ahead of time if you just had to wait for it anyway? You'd think they would have had it prestaged or something?

I went to Universal once in 2000 and somehow my ex-husband got me on that crazy tower thing you went on (one of many reasons for the ex portion). It was definitely short, but that wait to shoot up was downright terrifying. Don't think I have the hootspa to every ride again.

Everything at the toothsome whatever the rest of the ridiculously long named place is looks really good. I'm not a huge macaroon fan, but I'd totally be all over the chocolates.

Glad you finally got a well deserved margarita to end your day!

I loved the security check points at US also, we stayed at RPR and the boat was so nice and easy, never crowded. They never asked us about our hotel either. I think anyone can take the boat.

I am excited for you and your hubby to do the Marceline to Magic tour, it is wonderful.

Smart idea…I don't think I could ever use the lounge enough to justify the extra cost. And to try to schedule lounge time, in addition to all the other things we have to pre-schedule, sounds like a major hassle!
I know, that's where my problem was coming from and giving me a headache. I love the looks of the lounges and so many offerings sounds good, and I like the idea of getting a snack in between meals because often I am a tad hungry like, 2 hours before a TS and I don't want anything huge. But that would mean being back at the resort to get it. And giving up snacks in the parks. And then I was trying to plan a night to be back there before it closes at 10 to enjoy the drinks and desserts, and it was too much. Someday maybe with the boys b/c the older they get I know they'll spend time at the resort while Steve and I go off on our own, but not this time.

This place looks so appealing to me, especially since DH won't fly and I won't go on a trans-Atlantic cruise, so I cannot figure out how I'm ever going to get to Italy (a dream of mine :lovestruc).
I think it would be perfect for you then!

I'd be hitting my hidden bag of goldfish crackers back in the room after that dinner :crazy2:
:laughing: Pam had a ton of goodies with her and she offered them to me, and I had brought some Cliff bars so I didn't starve, I just hate wasting any calories on stuff that isn't good :snooty:

Looks really cool! Too bad you couldn't take any pictures :guilty:
That bummed me out, especially because our float was so awesome! Some of the other floats were too, but I understand their policy

That's really a strange policy. Maybe it's something that's not really enforced…you would think you'd want your resort guests to be able to get around easily, if only to spend more money and not leave the property :confused3
Yeah this policy on the other hand makes no sense. This is exactly why Disney let's anyone use their boats I'm sure; why would you want to make it difficult for someone to get to your parks?????

Hi Ariane! I just read your entire report and really enjoyed it!
Hi and :welcome: I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!

I feel bad that they didn't provide the best QS food options - I actually enjoyed our food at Universal in 2015 (and 2012).
We really enjoyed our food on our 2015 family trip too, although we did mostly TS. We ate at Confisco's and Finnegan's and both places were really good, plus we got a big pink donut which was fresh and delicious :goodvibes I think this trip there were just more misses than hits unfortunately.

a surprise hit with the Boulangerie (really good, fresh sandwiches and cheesecake).
We got some pastries here on our trip and they were really good!

and appreciated that I didn't have to do much planning to get decent food).
That's true, it's so much nicer to be able to sit for a good meal without having to plan it 6 months out.

I look forward to the reports on your March trip and your upcoming trip! I loved Flower and Garden last year and am excited to see your pictures from this year!
I was so happy that not only were we doing F&G once this year, but twice! 27 days till our 2nd time :thumbsup2 I've actually started a dining report for our March F&G trip but haven't added the link to my signature yet; feel free to take a look if you have time! It shouldn't be too hard to find but it's called " It Takes Two, Baby, a 2017 F&G Dining Report". One of these days I'll get around to putting the link in my sig!

I'm super jealous of this. DH and I really want to do this one for the behind the scenes HM stuff! Can't wait to hear your experience when you get back.
I'll definitely review it and then maybe you'll get around to planning that adults only trip...................;)

This is one of the main reasons we hesitate about a US only trip. We'd want to rent a car, and paying to park is one of my biggest pet peeves.
It's stupid, plain and simple. I get it for those not staying on property to pay at the parks but WHY your resort guests :sad2:

We rode the ferry boats and they weren't asking or checking anything. Can you imagine the ordeal it would be if they checked EVERY PERSON'S card before boarding the boat?? It would take forever!!
This is the general consensus so I think Barry was off on this! It would cause such a back-up, especially if those not on property or staying at whatever resort it was started arguing.

Everything at Toothsome looked incredible. I have to admit, those fancy milkshakes kind of stress me out. They seem to be a big trend everywhere lately, but while they look delicious and beautiful, they also look really intimidating! How do you even go about drinking/eating one? You need like every utensil known to man, LOL!!
(not to say I wouldn't make the attempt sometime...I wouldn't want to back down from a challenge!)
LOL I was feeling the same way there! I really wanted one; I mean, you can't argue they look delicious. But......do we eat them as a meal, like as lunch? Do we eat a very light lunch and then have it as a snack before dinner? But will we even be hungry for dinner? We watched a couple people eating them (again, food stalkers that we were) and they mostly ate the cupcake first. Some were drinking the shake with the cupcake still on. It just seems like such a difficult feat!

We liked Jurassic Park and Jaws before they took it away
Aw, Jaws was my favorite :love: Even though I hadn't been in more than 10 years when they got rid of it, I was heartbroken. Nice they still actually have him hanging there, as if "caught", so you can take a picture, but those that didn't get to experience Jaws have no appreciation for what it was :(

I told Kathy when we visit again she'll be riding HP Forbidden Journey alone.
Ugh, I didn't ride this time but I did with the family; holy motion sickness! Yeah that's a one and done for me.

What are his thoughts on the unicorn frap??
Funny you ask! He can't believe all the hype it's getting on the internet. He said it basically tastes like you filled your mouth with WarHeads (those sour candies) and that it has exactly 81 grams of sugar :scared1: So, way to sweet! Chris wanted to try one but all the SB's around here were sold out 1.5 days after it debuted.Even his stores that are an hour or so from here sold out quickly so whether people liked it or not, they wanted to try it!

most people say it is too sour.
Yup ::yes::

SeeYaReelSoon ate breakfast there in one of their vlogs!
You've mentioned them before, I really need to go watch some old ones..............

The theming really makes the ride. I mean, the whole up and down thing is fun, but the story behind the ride just knocks it out of the park.
Totally. I feel the theming of TOT is perfection and it's also perfectly lacking on Dr. Doom. Admittedly I also believe without the theming, TOT wouldn't be even half of what it is now, although the fact that you do go up and down more than once still gives it an edge over DD.

Yummy! I only recently tried macarons....from Aldi of all places!
You really have great luck at Aldi between really good macarons and really good Moscato lol!

Ok, before I saw anything else WT* is up with those creepy dolls and how did your camera not break just by taking pictures of them. Whatever the story was it could not have justified all the creepiness.
You should seriously google pictures of all the dolls. That's a sight to see and makes the ones I did take pictures of look like dolls you'd want to buy for Casey :P

Though what was the point of you ordering breakfast ahead of time if you just had to wait for it anyway? You'd think they would have had it prestaged or something?
Right?? I guess to cut down on people standing at the counter like this maybe :scratchin

I went to Universal once in 2000 and somehow my ex-husband got me on that crazy tower thing you went on (one of many reasons for the ex portion). It was definitely short, but that wait to shoot up was downright terrifying.
First, another thing we have in common: the ex-husband :thumbsup2 Second, not surprised you didn't like it since you're too chicken to ride TOT.

I loved the security check points at US also, we stayed at RPR and the boat was so nice and easy, never crowded. They never asked us about our hotel either. I think anyone can take the boat.
I've pretty much decided I think anyone can take the boat too, regardless of what Barry said :rotfl2: Leave it to DisBoards to set things straight!

I am excited for you and your hubby to do the Marceline to Magic tour, it is wonderful.
I'm excited! I think I read your review of it?? I know every review I've read has been extremely favorable.

You've mentioned them before, I really need to go watch some old ones..............
I really love their vlogs. They are a tad cheesy so it took me some time to appreciate them but they are funny and never dry! Very entertaining and their love for Disney is so evident.

You really have great luck at Aldi between really good macarons and really good Moscato lol!
You know it! :)

Universal TA Training Day 3 (since I didn't label day 2)
and a little sigh when I'm reminded of Disney
You guys, you're going to have to forgive me for the total lack of photos on this day. I really wasn't sure while there if I'd report on it or not so I wasn't as diligent, and I didn't realize exactly how bad I'd done on day 3 until just now. So this will be big on words and small on pictures, although I may improvise a little with some help from our friend GOOGLE.
Before I go nuts into our day, let me back up a bit. Now most of you probably know I live in NY. And if you paid attention in the beginning you know this training was from Feb. 6th-9th. Next question: what happens in NY in Feb. that doesn't happen in Fl. ?

Yup. Snow. Which I love, normally. However by evening on day 1, Monday the 6th, rumblings were starting of a huge storm hitting the NE on Thursday the 9th, the day we all were leaving. By Tues - the day we were on our own in the parks - it was now slated to begin late Wed. night on the 8th and go all day on the 9th, and airlines like JetBlue which Cathy and I were flying on already had alerts up that if you were flying in or out of certain airports on the 9th, you could change your flight at no charge. As of about 10:00 Tues. night our airports were on the list, and we were going back and forth with our DH's as to whether we should change our flights to Friday now or wait a bit longer. Both of us were feeling a little stressed and wanted to change, but both our DH's were like, "Nah, wait a bit longer and see if they get cancelled Maybe it won't snow" :sad2: Yeah, that's code for "we can't handle being home alone with the children for an extra day".
We were both still debating this as we made our way to the bus stop Wed. morning, Feb. 8th, for our 3rd day of training. There was really no denying it now; the NE was going to be slammed with a huge snowstorm beginning that night. Now bear with me a minute more while I explain why my stress level was getting quite high: while the possibility of an extra day in Orlando sounds great, I was starting to miss my guys. Steve and I have been away without the kids but I've never been away without any of them. Plus, some of you might remember that Ricky dislocated his knee in a school basketball game? Well, that happened Feb. 4th, so 2 days before I left. That means I was away when we found out it was indeed dislocated and that he'd be out for the rest of the season. So I knew how upset he was and that he was in pain and it bothered me that I wasn't there with him. And now I might be away an extra day. Exciting and not at the same time.
So this morning was starting off at the Blue Man Group theater on CityWalk with breakfast and our first "classroom training". I will say I was looking forward to the training because I was wanting to learn more about Universal. I wasn't looking forward to breakfast because I'd learned not to do that on this trip, but it wasn't a complete washout. They did a great job the whole time of making all our buffet areas look great and this was no different; the fruit, bagels and danish were set out on pretty dishes and pretty tablecloths. We weren't going to get full but at least it was edible! Downside was no tables. We could stand in the lobby juggling our food, drink, and the folder they gave us with info. and a pad of paper in it, or take our food inside the theater and balance it on our lap. Because we're gluttons for punishment we stood there with plates and cups in hand, folders under our arms, awkwardly bending down to bite our danish!
We finished and went to find seats in the theater. Here's the screen and stage prior to the training beginning:

Soon our two presenters came out and explained that after each section of training we'd be playing a game and could win prizes. Ooh, free stuff!! This is where Pam gave the wrong name of Toothsome (I still have to look it up to get it correct) and a couple other people missed their answers. If this had been Disney I would've been waiving my hands in the air like I didn't care answering questions, but I was still pretty shaky on Uni details so I kept my hands down and mouth shut.
This training was primarily on their new water park opening next month, Volcano Bay. I am SO not a water park person but guys, and I'm thinking of you @buzzrelly, this place looks and sounds fantastic. They made a huge point of getting us to realize Volcano Bay is a FULL DAY PARK, with evening hours and a restaurant and gift shop on property. They also introduced their "new" (ahem) fastpass/express pass system that will be used there. When I first heard it I got excited because I thought I heard "Lapu Lapu". What? Are we going to the Poly?? But alas they were just telling us the name of their not-a-magic-band technology going into use at Volcano Bay, the not coincidentally I'm sure named rubber wrist band called:

The TapuTapu. So that's Lapu Lapu with 2 T's and as one word. K. Regardless of where they got the name from or the fact that it makes my mind drift from Universal to my Happy Place, this thing also looks really cool. Unlike the MB you do not keep it; they'll get recycled at VB. You'll be given one when you enter the park and hand it in when you leave. This will have your ride times loaded in it, which you'll get by going up to the ride and tapping a thing that I think will resemble a totem pole. It will then beep/buzz/twist/shout when your ride time is up, thereby eliminating waiting in line by making a virtual queue. There are also supposedly some other neat things around the park that the TapuTapu will do, sort of like unlock things for kids similar in my mind to the way portals at MK are unlocked for SoTMK or the Pirates game. But don't quote me on that!
During this training Cathy was checking the weather. Her area was now predicted to get a foot of snow while my area was closer to 18", and more airports were added to the list of places that were allowing you to change your flight with no fee. So when we got out of training around noon we pretty much decided screw anyone else, we were going to reschedule for Fri. before everyone else flying Thurs. did and we had to wait until Sunday to get home (foreshadowing :rolleyes1)
We were going to lunch as a group but arrived early so we all had to hang outside and wait. It worked out perfectly though because Cathy and I found a quiet corner, called JetBlue, and got on Fri. flights home. She was still going into Newark but got the last seat on a plane leaving Friday (or so they told her) but I had to change from the airport 20 minutes from my home to Westchester about 50 minutes away, and I was leaving at 7:30am. This was proof that if we'd waited much longer we would have been out of luck!
We both felt MUCH better heading in to lunch, and when we saw the buffet we felt even better because it looked GOOD. I swear I took pictures but I guess not? Anyway, again I think this was catered from somewhere rather than coming from where we were at, which was Rising Star. Not normally open during the day it's a Kareoke Bar at night:

We had a huge delicious chopped salad, pasta primavera, soft yummy bread, sausage and peppers and meatballs. My kind of meal and surprisingly it all tasted good! Best though were the Heath Bar cookies for dessert :banana: We all left lunch for the 2nd part of our day, which was a VIP tour of the parks and specifically, the HP areas!

Yeah I know nobody is impressed with dragon pictures anymore but it was interesting to see our group of 10 agents plus the other 2 groups of 10 near us at the time, all standing still staring up at the thing with our phones/cameras ready, trying to get a picture of it breathing fire for our business FB pages :rotfl2:
We rode every HP attraction, went in lots of the stores and were told little details about them, watched the wand choosing ceremony and also went into Gringotts Money Exchange in Diagon Alley, where you can turn in your Muggle money for Gringotts bank notes, which I had no idea about. The wand ceremony is SO cool and if I think so, not being a huge HP fan, then huge HP fans would love it. You can go watch the wand choosing ceremony without buying a wand but of course if you're "chosen" to pick your wand (or have your wand pick you I guess) there's more pressure to purchase said wand. Here's just a small selection of the wands for sale on the wall:

Also FYI, they do a wand choosing ceremony in both Diagon Alley AND Hogwarts so you can catch it in either park.
My favorite HP attraction - actually, the only one I like to be honest - is Escape from Gringotts. And the inside is just amazing:

Imagine my surprise when I saw my 5th grade math teacher, Ms. Schleuter, who terrorized me and instilled in me my fear of numbers sitting at a desk inside!

Oh wait, on second glance that's just a friendly Goblin...........

We were totally enjoying this tour and learning all different details of the WWoHP. That was, until during a break I checked my emails and found one that said the flight I'd JUST made like 2 hours before had been CANCELLED, and now I had NO FLIGHT HOME EVER?????? What!!! Holy crap I almost died. Cathy's hadn't been cancelled and I thought it was weird, except that my flight was leaving Friday at 7:30 am and hers didn't leave until noon. Anyway I told our tour guide - who wasn't Barry, he was with us but we actually had a guide who does the VIP tours with regular guests - so I told him sorry man, I have to bow out and get a freakin' ride back to NY. I'll catch you later! And found a comfy bench right next to a smoking section :faint: and got my butt on the phone with JetBlue. Who then promptly told me they'd already put me on a flight home, oh so sweet! Flying in to JFK at 11:30 pm on SUNDAY. Not Thursday when I was supposed to go home or Friday when I'd switched my flight to, but SUNDAY. Um, no. Not only would Steve run away but, really, I didn't want to be stuck down there that long. So I ended up on hold for a freakin' hour with them and they finally got me on a flight into Newark right after Cathy's flight, strange since Cathy had been told she'd gotten the last seat on any flight out of Newark. At that point I didn't care. But let me tell you how much that afternoon turned sucky!
I updated Steve on my situation and caught up with my group about 20 minutes before the tour ended. Now Cathy and I had to make sure we had a room to stay in for our extra night which luckily wasn't a problem.
There was no going back to the room as we went right from the tour to dinner. This was back at the Blue Man Group theater in what looked like an event catering hall. Cathy and I seriously needed a drink so we headed right to the bar and grabbed a beer, found a table and then went up to the buffet - which was the same exact food as we had at lunch. I wasn't lying when I said in the beginning that they totally failed with the food! Desserts were a bit better but then they ran out of them before everyone had a chance to sample them. Whatevs, not surprised......
So I'm going to wrap this up quickly because none of you came here to read a novel: after dinner we were all treated to the
Blue Man Group performance and let me tell you, this was phenomenal. I was in AWE! I really had no idea what to expect and this was just amazing. So much so that I want to take Steve and the boys to see them either in Orlando or NYC. It's totally worth the $$ and a great evening for all ages. Definitely the best part of the training hands down! Again no pictures but flash photography was not allowed during the show.
I took a pretty shot on CityWalk as we left:

Knowing we had nowhere to rush to tomorrow and not having to pack, Cathy and I were VERY relaxed. Along with Pam we went to the bar in the main lobby of our resort for a drink; Barry was about to leave with 2 other team leaders so instead he got another drink and hung with us awhile. One drink turned to 2, Barry and Pam took off, and Cathy and I let relaxation set in as we closed down the bar...........................

UP NEXT: OUR LAST DAY AND I GET MY DISNEY FIX!

Yup. Snow. Which I love, normally. However by evening on day 1, Monday the 6th, rumblings were starting of a huge storm hitting the NE on Thursday the 9th, the day we all were leaving.

I remember this storm. It was terrible!

I am SO not a water park person but guys, and I'm thinking of you @buzzrelly, this place looks and sounds fantastic. They made a huge point of getting us to realize Volcano Bay is a FULL DAY PARK, with evening hours and a restaurant and gift shop on property.

I'm not a water park person either, but I plan to go. I watched the disunplugged video about the food and well that's pretty much what I'm sold on :rotfl: It also looks really cool, I just know I won't do a lot of swimming.

We all left lunch for the 2nd part of our day, which was a VIP tour of the parks and specifically, the HP areas!

The VIP tour that's so awesome!

Cathy and I seriously needed a drink so we headed right to the bar and grabbed a beer, found a table and then went up to the buffet - which was the same exact food as we had at lunch

So weird! I guess they couldn't treat you to all the meals at restaurants, but they have some great restaurants there so I'm sad all they had you try basically amounted to QS. The buffet kind of sounds like what they serve at Scareactor Dining which is really not good compared to other meals we've had there.

after dinner we were all treated to the Blue Man Group performance and let me tell you, this was phenomenal. I was in AWE! I really had no idea what to expect and this was just amazing.

So my dad loves the Blue Man Group and I went with him when I was a kid and was not at all impressed :rotfl: I don't know if I'd like it any better now. I know the shows are all different so maybe someday, but Josh doesn't seem too keen on it either.

Yup. Snow. Which I love, normally. However by evening on day 1, Monday the 6th, rumblings were starting of a huge storm hitting the NE on Thursday the 9th, the day we all were leaving.

We got that storm, too. Awful!!

This training was primarily on their new water park opening next month, Volcano Bay. I am SO not a water park person but guys, and I'm thinking of you @buzzrelly, this place looks and sounds fantastic. They made a huge point of getting us to realize Volcano Bay is a FULL DAY PARK, with evening hours and a restaurant and gift shop on property.

Nathan will love this. I have a feeling another Universal trip will have to be in our future.

But alas they were just telling us the name of their not-a-magic-band technology going into use at Volcano Bay, the not coincidentally I'm sure named rubber wrist band called:

The TapuTapu. So that's Lapu Lapu with 2 T's and as one word. K.

Right. So it's a magic band. with a Disney drink name. Very original, Universal. :)

The wand ceremony is SO cool and if I think so, not being a huge HP fan, then huge HP fans would love it.

You're right, this is totally awesome! Even more so for someone interested in HP. Nathan was walking on air when we got our own personal wand ceremony where our wands chose up both together. The moment it started I was mentally preparing myself to shell out the dough :P But such a cool experience :)

Imagine my surprise when I saw my 5th grade math teacher, Ms. Schleuter, who terrorized me and instilled in me my fear of numbers sitting at a desk inside!

HA!

Who then promptly told me they'd already put me on a flight home, oh so sweet! Flying in to JFK at 11:30 pm on SUNDAY. Not Thursday when I was supposed to go home or Friday when I'd switched my flight to, but SUNDAY. Um, no.

Woah! No way! How did they think that was a cool solution?

after dinner we were all treated to the Blue Man Group performance and let me tell you, this was phenomenal. I was in AWE!

I'd like to go back and take Nathan sometime. My mom and I saw them 5+ years ago. Very unique show!

Barry and Pam took off

Oh they did? Together? Hmmmm.... what happens in Universal stays in Universal... :rolleyes1 KIDDING...I think...?

"Nah, wait a bit longer and see if they get cancelled Maybe it won't snow" :sad2: Yeah, that's code for "we can't handle being home alone with the children for an extra day".

:rotfl:Sounds about right!

Ricky dislocated his knee in a school basketball game? Well, that happened Feb. 4th, so 2 days before I left. That means I was away when we found out it was indeed dislocated and that he'd be out for the rest of the season. So I knew how upset he was and that he was in pain and it bothered me that I wasn't there with him.

Poor kid! Of course you wanted to be there for him :hug:

Downside was no tables. We could stand in the lobby juggling our food, drink, and the folder they gave us with info. and a pad of paper in it, or take our food inside the theater and balance it on our lap. Because we're gluttons for punishment we stood there with plates and cups in hand, folders under our arms, awkwardly bending down to bite our danish!

What the??? :confused: Who was planning this stuff anyway? Some of it makes absolutely no sense. I will say that we did something like this at Disney once…kind of. DD did Dance the World so it was "at" Disney, but wasn't really "Disney," if that makes sense. And it was kind of similar. They put on a big gala dinner and I looked at the food and thought, "am I back in CT at some banquet hall??" But at least they gave us tables :thumbsup2

This training was primarily on their new water park opening next month, Volcano Bay. I am SO not a water park person but guys, and I'm thinking of you @buzzrelly, this place looks and sounds fantastic.

You MUST go! They sell alcohol :drinking1 :rotfl2: :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Volcano Bay is a FULL DAY PARK, with evening hours and a restaurant and gift shop on property.

It actually sounds really cool! I hope it lives up to the hype! I guess I'll find our next April :daisy:

their not-a-magic-band technology

LOL!

they'll get recycled at VB. You'll be given one when you enter the park and hand it in when you leave.

My first thought, "Yay! I'm all for recycling instead of filling up a landfill with millions of Magic Bands :crazy2:'" My next thought, "I hope they get disinfected between uses!" But they must, right? And frankly, I've worn those 3-D glasses many many times and it's kind of the same thing.

Cathy and I found a quiet corner, called JetBlue, and got on Fri. flights home. She was still going into Newark but got the last seat on a plane leaving Friday (or so they told her) but I had to change from the airport 20 minutes from my home to Westchester about 50 minutes away, and I was leaving at 7:30am. This was proof that if we'd waited much longer we would have been out of luck!

Yay, for getting home!

Yeah I know nobody is impressed with dragon pictures anymore

I still am!

Yikes! Haha!

the flight I'd JUST made like 2 hours before had been CANCELLED, and now I had NO FLIGHT HOME EVER??????

Boo!

went up to the buffet - which was the same exact food as we had at lunch. I wasn't lying when I said in the beginning that they totally failed with the food!

:sad2:

Blue Man Group performance and let me tell you, this was phenomenal

I have been wanting to see this. I don't think Mike and I will have time in October since we are kind of going for the HHN stuff. Maybe I can squeeze it in next April.

Cathy and I let relaxation set in as we closed down the bar...........................

Ahhhhh, finally! This must've been such a stressful day worrying about if and when you're getting home. I used to love to fly, but the logistics of it totally stresses me out. There are so many things about it you can't control, weather, TSA, getting bumped :crazy2: Mike hates flying for the flying part, but the older I get I hate flying for all the other parts. I'm glad you got home in a reasonable time frame. I looked at your snow picture and thought, thank God we are done with that for a while! Ugh!! I hate snow!

Wow...what a day! So crazy about that food quality...but I guess by now you aren't surprised.

I've been in a park and making travel plans like that, so I totally get what you were doing. Then again, I've also sat outside a water park and made medical, transportation and boarding arrangements for my CAT back home in another state...and that was crazy too. Glad you got the flight straightened out though!

I really want to see Blue Man Group...well my DH does and with your update I feel we should add it to a future trip. However maybe it needs to be a non-Disney trip.

I totally agree on Escape from Gringotts...it is by far my very FAVORITE ride in the Universal parks...with MIB a close second. I think it's really one of my favorite overall amusement park rides, and we are huge amusement park people. It's just so unique and well done overall.

I remember this storm. It was terrible!
The first bad one of the season and it happens on the day I'm supposed to fly :sad2:

I'm not a water park person either, but I plan to go. I watched the disunplugged video about the food and well that's pretty much what I'm sold on :rotfl: It also looks really cool, I just know I won't do a lot of swimming.
I wouldn't swim much either but I think it we ever do decide to do a water park while down there, I'd try to do Volcano Bay over the Disney ones (which we haven't been to) I know that goes against everything I've said here since I'm more of a Disney lover, but VB just seems so much more immersive. That said we have a fairly big water park right here so the boys have no interest in going to any water park on vacation, but they might change their mind one day.

The VIP tour that's so awesome!
It was! I didn't go into that much detail here because I don't have the pictures to back it up lol but in addition to getting on all the rides with no wait, we were told lots of interesting behind the scenes details. Some were told to us for TA purposes but most were details that most guides would be telling any tour group.

Nathan will love this. I have a feeling another Universal trip will have to be in our future.
Well we don't have long to wait until the reviews start coming in and hopefully they'll be great!

Right. So it's a magic band. with a Disney drink name. Very original, Universal. :)
Yup. Those are all the thoughts I had when they showed it and were describing it. But I was trying not to be down on Universal anymore lol, however on the other hand I just had to make some fun :D

You're right, this is totally awesome! Even more so for someone interested in HP. Nathan was walking on air when we got our own personal wand ceremony where our wands chose up both together. The moment it started I was mentally preparing myself to shell out the dough :P But such a cool experience :)
I have a client who is a very close friend from college. She's taking her family there in Oct. and her 10 year old son is obsessed with HP - wears the robes constantly lol. I can't wait to hear how much he loves it all!

I'd like to go back and take Nathan sometime. My mom and I saw them 5+ years ago. Very unique show!
You should, as soon as you plan that Universal trip :thumbsup2 I didn't know what to expect and I was surprised I loved it as much as I did.

Oh they did? Together? Hmmmm.... what happens in Universal stays in Universal... :rolleyes1 KIDDING...I think...?
LMAO no! Maybe I should go back and change my wording before one of their friends or SO's reads this :lmao:They just both left, first Barry and then Pam :tiptoe:

Poor kid! Of course you wanted to be there for him :hug:
Ugh, it was horrible :( I know he's not the first kid to be injured but he went from playing or practicing 6 days a week between his 3 teams to almost 2 months of nothing, and it was hard on him.
It actually sounds really cool! I hope it lives up to the hype! I guess I'll find our next April :daisy:
I hope it does too! Should bring lots more guests to their parks :)

My first thought, "Yay! I'm all for recycling instead of filling up a landfill with millions of Magic Bands :crazy2:'" My next thought, "I hope they get disinfected between uses!" But they must, right? And frankly, I've worn those 3-D glasses many many times and it's kind of the same thing.
Funny I thought that at first too: how sanitary is that? But then I also thought about the 3D glasses so really, what's the difference......speaking of the 3D glasses, when we took the UnDiscovered Futurworld tour we saw wear and how they clean them, how they keep them organized by attraction, etc. So I know they do clean them (or at least most of them lol).

I have been wanting to see this. I don't think Mike and I will have time in October since we are kind of going for the HHN stuff. Maybe I can squeeze it in next April.
That would probably be a lot to fit in along with the HHN stuff, but keep it in mind for the future because it's awesome :goodvibes

Ahhhhh, finally! This must've been such a stressful day worrying about if and when you're getting home. I used to love to fly, but the logistics of it totally stresses me out. There are so many things about it you can't control, weather, TSA, getting bumped :crazy2:
When Steve and I flew home last month our flight was leaving at 8:30pm but kept getting delayed. We finally left about 10. My stepson was with the boys and was wanting to go home that night so that was stressful too; we were nervous it was going to get cancelled.............

Wow...what a day! So crazy about that food quality...but I guess by now you aren't surprised.
Nope, wasn't surprised at all unfortunately. There were some good meals, the Mexican restaurant we ate dinner at wasn't bad and the lunch on this day was good. We just would have appreciated a different meal for dinner rather than the same offerings :rolleyes: But the lunch I had the next day made up for all of it!

Then again, I've also sat outside a water park and made medical, transportation and boarding arrangements for my CAT back home in another state..
Sounds like something I would do for my kitties :cat::cat:

I really want to see Blue Man Group...well my DH does and with your update I feel we should add it to a future trip.
I have to recommend this to everyone now, that's how much I loved it. I have no doubt Steve and both my boys would thoroughly enjoy it so I say yes, throw that in to a future trip!

I was starting to miss my guys

I am really worried about this next week...It's one thing when Matt is gone somewhere, or the kids are gone to their grandparents for a week in the summer or something, but it's a whole other animal entirely for ME to be gone and the three of them home.

Downside was no tables. We could stand in the lobby juggling our food, drink, and the folder they gave us with info. and a pad of paper in it, or take our food inside the theater and balance it on our lap. Because we're gluttons for punishment we stood there with plates and cups in hand, folders under our arms, awkwardly bending down to bite our danish!

I'm picturing the part in Men in Black where they are taking the test in those egg shaped chairs and they're all trying to maneuver themselves around to write in answers.

But alas they were just telling us the name of their not-a-magic-band technology going into use at Volcano Bay, the not coincidentally I'm sure named rubber wrist band called:

When I first saw these in an article I was like, Oooh, so creative US. Nothing like a MB at ALL. :rolleyes:
They look pretty neat though, and I like that they buzz or whatever when it's time for your ride. That's one technology I would LOVE in the MBs.

We had a huge delicious chopped salad, pasta primavera, soft yummy bread, sausage and peppers and meatballs. My kind of meal and surprisingly it all tasted good! Best though were the Heath Bar cookies for dessert

Hooray!! I'm glad the food was good this time!!

We all left lunch for the 2nd part of our day, which was a VIP tour of the parks and specifically, the HP areas!

That's awesome! Escape was my favorite too. Forbidden Journey made me feel so sick :crazy2::crazy2:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I checked my emails and found one that said the flight I'd JUST made like 2 hours before had been CANCELLED, and now I had NO FLIGHT HOME EVER?????

Oh my gosh...this would have stressed me out so much! I'm glad it all got taken care of - that is one of my big fears!

The first bad one of the season and it happens on the day I'm supposed to fly :sad2:

Maybe it's a sign you're meant to stay in Orlando? :rotfl:

I wouldn't swim much either but I think it we ever do decide to do a water park while down there, I'd try to do Volcano Bay over the Disney ones (which we haven't been to) I know that goes against everything I've said here since I'm more of a Disney lover, but VB just seems so much more immersive. That said we have a fairly big water park right here so the boys have no interest in going to any water park on vacation, but they might change their mind one day.

Yeah we've never been to any of the Disney ones. We have some nearby, nothing big but I've never had any desire to go to them. VB does seem way better.

It was! I didn't go into that much detail here because I don't have the pictures to back it up lol but in addition to getting on all the rides with no wait, we were told lots of interesting behind the scenes details. Some were told to us for TA purposes but most were details that most guides would be telling any tour group.

I watched a vlog where someone went on one and it looked so cool. Although kind of wasted on me because I don't ride a lot of the rides, but I love the facts/details.

I'm picturing the part in Men in Black where they are taking the test in those egg shaped chairs and they're all trying to maneuver themselves around to write in answers.

I was just watching that last night! I love those movies :rotfl:

it was now slated to begin late Wed. night on the 8th and go all day on the 9th, and airlines like JetBlue which Cathy and I were flying on already had alerts up that if you were flying in or out of certain airports on the 9th, you could change your flight at no charge.
Oh boy!

Steve and I have been away without the kids but I've never been away without any of them.
I have been away from the DH but not the kids. And the funny thing is, I would probably worry if I was the only one away because I actually trust my mom to take better care of the kids than DH! LOL. I truly think he would be clueless!

I will say I was looking forward to the training because I was wanting to learn more about Universal.
I'm totally into finding out the inner workings of things, so this sounds cool.

I wasn't looking forward to breakfast because I'd learned not to do that on this trip
:rotfl2:

Because we're gluttons for punishment we stood there with plates and cups in hand, folders under our arms, awkwardly bending down to bite our danish!
LOL

Soon our two presenters came out and explained that after each section of training we'd be playing a game and could win prizes. Ooh, free stuff!!
Score!

When I first heard it I got excited because I thought I heard "Lapu Lapu". What? Are we going to the Poly??
:lmao:

(foreshadowing :rolleyes1)
Ruh Roh

which was a VIP tour of the parks and specifically, the HP areas!
So friggin cool!

The wand ceremony is SO cool and if I think so, not being a huge HP fan, then huge HP fans would love it.
I've seen it...on a vlog! Can you guess whose?? LOL. Yes! SeeYaReelSoon!

:laughing:

Flying in to JFK at 11:30 pm on SUNDAY.
Um, no.

But let me tell you how much that afternoon turned sucky!
Sorry...that stinks!

which was the same exact food as we had at lunch.
No way!

we were all treated to the Blue Man Group performance and let me tell you, this was phenomenal. I was in AWE!
Awesome. I've never seen it though I almost did on Vegas once.

Cathy and I let relaxation set in as we closed down the bar...........................
Fun times!

You must have been freaking out I'm so glad you could slip away and get it taken care of.
Love all the HP stuff and very cool getting to see Blue Man Group.
Glad you were able to relax after that stressful day :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter