Commitment Ceremony Gift

Saxton

DIS Veteran
Some friends of mine are having a commitment ceremony and I need some gift suggestions ... and who better to ask than this group?! To give you a little background, they are in their late 30's, early 40's and both have very good jobs. A few years ago they moved in together in my one friend’s house which she has owned for a long time so they really don’t need any household stuff. I had thought about giving them some of my DVC points but I don’t think that would work out because of scheduling problems (my one friend travels a lot for work and they are raising a teenage son so they are busy with school/sports, etc.). I thought about a weekend at a spa or resort in the area but they really don’t have anyone to take care of their son. They’re not into food or wine so that limits my options as well. The only idea I have right now is to buy a gift certificate for an online photo service so they can create a dvd and hard cover books using photos from the event. I would also buy a bunch of disposable cameras for the guests to use. The cameras would include processing the photos on a CD so they could upload all the photos to the online site and then create the books, dvds, etc. My thought is that this would give them a way to create lasting memories and would also be a fun way to relive everything while they create their projects.

I am open to any ideas you might have (well, more like begging!!!). They are really a great couple and I want to do something special for them. Money isn't an issue (ok, that doesn't sound right ... but what I mean is that I want to get them a wonderful present and I'm not worried about the cost). So do all of you creative folks have any ideas for me?

It seems to me that the disposable camera idea is something that they would handle as part of the wedding planning if they want it. It might not work with their plans, and you know how people get about their weddings. At the very least consult with them about it before going ahead.

As to the perfect gift for them, I'm big on giving experiences. The spa idea was a great start in that direction, but if they have a teenage son, you might want to consider getting them something they can all do as a family. There are any number of possibilities, which you can evaluate based on your knowledge of their tastes. If they're adventurous, consider a hot-air balloon ride, a plane or glider ride, scuba lessons, rock-climbing lessons and the like. If they're more the stay at home types, I've had great success with stuff like a gift certificate to Netflix for months or years, a big stack of movie passes, a subscription to a local film festival, or a package of tickets to all the local museums and cultural hot spots. There's even a service here in Tucson that makes gourmet meals that you pick up and take home with you, and no-one has ever had any complaints about getting a gift certificate to that one.

Think about things they like doing as a family, and then crank those up a notch or two, and add some flair. Be creative with the packaging, and have fun with it.

Hmmmmm...tricky. The teenager makes it a bit complicated too. I like the suggestion of giving them something they can do together as a family.

What does the teen like to do? Can you build around that? Or, could you give the two of them a spa gift (or something along those lines that they would enjoy) then offer to have the teen stay with you (if it involved overnight) so that they didn't have to worry?

I guess I'd start with what do they like to do? Then go from there...

Not much help, huh? :guilty:

Consider this. Their commitment ceremony is no different than a heterosexual wedding and in that type of situation, I always give a nice card with a personal note and a check for a couple hundred bucks.

RickinNYC said:
Consider this. Their commitment ceremony is no different than a heterosexual wedding and in that type of situation, I always give a nice card with a personal note and a check for a couple hundred bucks.
Oh, man, you are soooo invited to our wedding, it's not funny.

Cash is OK for any occasion, but if you want to give a "gift" and want to include the teenager, most hotels offer gift cards that can be used toward stays, perhaps there is a resort they would like to visit with the ked. Or you could go for the spa weekend and volunteer your time to have the boy stay with you for the weekend.

Congrats to the happy couple, too!

Cash is always good.
I don’t like giving it - but I have - who doesn’t like cash?

The right experience can even be better. It seems to have a value beyond the dollar amount - you're giving a memory.

I've also put together some cool thematic gifts ie -

Six great wines, a gift cert for a killer cheese shop, a wine diary, a decanter, a high end cork screw, and a gift cert of a flight of wine diner at a nice restaurant - for a wine couple

Or Frette bed linen, scented candles, great bottle of champagne, 2 art glass flutes, and a box of high end bonbons - for the romantic couple

You can fashion one of these thematic gifts from almost any interests.

wallyb said:
Cash is always good.
I don’t like giving it - but I have - who doesn’t like cash?

The right experience can even be better. It seems to have a value beyond the dollar amount - you're giving a memory.

I've also put together some cool thematic gifts ie -

Six great wines, a gift cert for a killer cheese shop, a wine diary, a decanter, a high end cork screw, and a gift cert of a flight of wine diner at a nice restaurant - for a wine couple

Or Frette bed linen, scented candles, great bottle of champagne, 2 art glass flutes, and a box of high end bonbons - for the romantic couple

You can fashion one of these thematic gifts from almost any interests.

Or money. Money is good.

I usually give a check when I'm invited to weddings/commitments for coworkers and friends but I would really like to do something unique for them. Their son is a great kid and I wouldn't mind taking care of him but here's were it gets more difficult - they have dogs and I love them but I'm highly allergic so I can't stay at their house. The one dog has some health issues so they try not to board them. I think if they were a younger couple and just starting out it would be much easier. They really don't 'need' anything but I want to do something memorable.

Oh well, it looks like a traditional check might be the way to go! We know Rick likes money!!!;)

Saxton said:
I usually give a check when I'm invited to weddings/commitments for coworkers and friends but I would really like to do something unique for them. Their son is a great kid and I wouldn't mind taking care of him but here's were it gets more difficult - they have dogs and I love them but I'm highly allergic so I can't stay at their house. The one dog has some health issues so they try not to board them. I think if they were a younger couple and just starting out it would be much easier. They really don't 'need' anything but I want to do something memorable.

Oh well, it looks like a traditional check might be the way to go! We know Rick likes money!!!;)

Yep, very much so. You people can have the brown paper packages tied up in string, blah blah blah.

RickinNYC said:
Or money. Money is good.

;) "...Money is not enough, money can be got..." ;)

Sorry RickinNYC
wand.gif

I saw your retort.
I was searching for a responce... looked down at your sig ...
and there it was... "a gift from the gods"...or Mother Teresa.

:thumbsup2 I think the photo idea is a great one! It will be something they can have for the rest of their lives and I'd be willing to bet that if you told them about your plan they would be ecstatic!

Ask them first what they think about the idea and if they hate it you could always go for cash... :)

wallyb said:
;) "...Money is not enough, money can be got..." ;)

Sorry RickinNYC
wand.gif

I saw your retort.
I was searching for a responce... looked down at your sig ...
and there it was... "a gift from the gods"...or Mother Teresa.

Beg your pardon? You looked down at my what???

We always tend to give something personal if the couple is close to us. For example our ex (yes we had both dated her ... i know i know) we gave her and her wife a painting that my girl did (she is a brilliant artist). Now i have no talent when it comes to that but for other friends and my brothers wedding i collected a bunch of digital shots that everybody took and put them on a wedding video dvd with "their song". That always went over well.

Now for me...I agree cash!!! Just kidding I guess it depends on the couple, I would love if people just donated to my favorite charities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter