Comments on the 7/20 Podcast Episode

a lot of the problems and solutions to the problems is staffing. no one wants to work. hard to find help especially in food service industry. so we want everything back, we want to lower pricing, we want another gate, etc. etc. but that all requires more employees which in today's usa is hard to come by. many reasons why there's lack of staffing which we won't delve into here but it's a fact and that impacts our 'wants' and disney's 'needs'.

I read OP a little differently. While I agree with you that there is a tendency to look back on past trips (to anywhere) and remember the fun more than the hassle, I read OP to make the point that Disney has been increasing prices and either taking away park opportunities or reducing the quality of those opportunities. That's more than rose colored glasses.

I'll give an example. Until about 2008 (I don't recall exactly), Disney charged the seasonal room rate based on when the guest checked in. So, if you checked in on December 15, you didn't pay the holiday rate even if your stay though the change to holiday rates. That was a great perk that enabled me to stay in deluxe hotels. Did I get mad at Disney for changing this? Of course not. But it did affect whether I stayed in a deluxe over the holidays (never again, as it turns out). To me, OP's point was about the value of a trip.

That said, I'll admit COVID-19 has changed how I think about a Disney vacation. It isn't that I begrudge Disney for wanting to make up for losses during the pandemic. It's more that the way Disney is going about making a profit make going to WDW less appealing to me than other trips I can take. (Not all of the changes post-date the pandemic, either, and I'll admit to having other, non-DIsney caused reasons for not going to WDW right now).

Part of my issue with a lot of the sentiment is that Disney has been adding more. Pandora and Galaxy's Edge are billions of dollars of investment and have two of the greatest rides ever built. Ratatouille is taking a while, but I've been on the one in Paris and it will be one of the top rides in Epcot. Contrast this to the 90's, when service was better and the parks weren't always packed, but Disney was also filling parks with Dumbo clones and made an entire park where the theme was "Carnival".

I do acknowledge there have been cuts. I think getting rid of Magical Express was a pretty bad move. But when I look back at my experience as a whole, Disney is just as much fun as it's always been. My trip in March where most of the entertainment was still closed and I had to wear a mask was well worth it.

Part of my issue with a lot of the sentiment is that Disney has been adding more. Pandora and Galaxy's Edge are billions of dollars of investment and have two of the greatest rides ever built. Ratatouille is taking a while, but I've been on the one in Paris and it will be one of the top rides in Epcot. Contrast this to the 90's, when service was better and the parks weren't always packed, but Disney was also filling parks with Dumbo clones and made an entire park where the theme was "Carnival".
Disney opened Animal Kingdom in 1998 (and MGM had opened in 1989). I think that has to be included beyond the Dumbo clones. :-)

Disney opened Animal Kingdom in 1998 (and MGM had opened in 1989). I think that has to be included beyond the Dumbo clones. :-)

I'm counting those as separate because those are parks you have to buy tickets for. Disney can justify those because guests now have to buy more tickets than before. New lands are included in the tickets you are already buying.

But you're correct that MGM and AK are amazing additions.

I also didn't want to mention hard ticket events, because those are new opportunities but they cost extra.

Last edited:
Agree with you 100% OP. I feel its time for a new park. I’d also wish they would include more villains not just Jack. He’s not a bad guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter