Come to my pity party please.

We are instead going on a cross country road trip to Orlando and then spending a week in WDW in sweaty June. DL isn't going anywhere any time soon. After our WDW trip, though, I'm really going to need a DL fix because there are some things about DL that you just can't find/get/experience at WDW.

Exactly! I had to stop myself so many times on our WDW trip from comparing the two- they really are just different experiences. Plus all our memories at DL including years with my son and my own memories growing up going yearly with my parents. It's just something different when it's your "home" park. I love WDW though so making different memories can be good too.

I definitely picked the wrong year to move out of California! I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch the coverage/social media posts of those who will be there for the reopening. Feeling too much FOMO at the moment (insert obligatory disclaimer about how vaccines & safety precautions are important, etc.) :sad1:

All non CA residents or anyone who wasn't able to get tickets for DL's reopening day, you can sulk about it here. I'm from NV and watched with envy yesterday the video of Disney youtubers Best Life and Beyond get tickets for the reopening. This morning as I listen to Main Street's soundtrack, I'm just feeling sorry for myself that I can't be there on reopening and may not be able to go in August. Disclaimer: This is meant to be a light-hearted thread....
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Yes so much this

I'll join this pity party from Washington. We were so lucky with our last trip, we flew home from DLR March 5th before everything shut down. This is far and above the longest I've gone without a DLR trip in the past decade. We have a trip planned for the first week of October but aren't holding out much hope for that to happen, flights and hotel paid for but no tickets.

I feel super bad for the people in the states right next to southern California, you are so darn close but still can't go. So not cool!

I'm bringing a glass of 🍷 to the party to wallow in.

I definitely picked the wrong year to move out of California! I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch the coverage/social media posts of those who will be there for the reopening. Feeling too much FOMO at the moment (insert obligatory disclaimer about how vaccines & safety precautions are important, etc.) :sad1:
I can't decide if I want to watch or not! On the one hand, I feel like it might bring a lot of joy and a sense of normalcy to do what I did pre-pandemic (watch DLR videos); on the other hand, will it make me sad to see the significant changes, and/or to watch and know that I have no idea when I'll be able to go back?

I also am having a tiny bit of regret - we switched our rescheduled trip to WDW about a week before they announced the June 15 date. There are so many of us going that switching it again just because I want to would feel super selfish and wishy washy and I don't want to do that to my family. But planning the WDW trip is sucking the life out of me - it's so much harder!

I also am having a tiny bit of regret - we switched our rescheduled trip to WDW about a week before they announced the June 15 date. There are so many of us going that switching it again just because I want to would feel super selfish and wishy washy and I don't want to do that to my family. But planning the WDW trip is sucking the life out of me - it's so much harder!

WDW is an entirely different animal when it comes to trip planning! Good luck — I recently switched my trip from September to December and am dreading rearranging all of my plans :headache:

But planning the WDW trip is sucking the life out of me - it's so much harder!
[/QUOTE
But planning the WDW trip is sucking the life out of me - it's so much harder!
I can imagine. I went to WDW for the first time in 2017. It took me TWO years of massive research and planning. I couldn't have done it without the help of some Disers. Had there been no pandemic, we would have gone back this year. From the crowd point of you, it's my dream to be there now. But I don't want to return until masks and the park reservation system are gone. Mainly because my parents are coming with us next time. I want them to have the full experience since it's likely the only time in their lives they'll go. So along with feeling sorry for myself about DL, WDW is calling my name to come back. ETA-I don't mind a diminished experience or doing park reservations at DL since I've been there so many times. But WDW is a whole other ball game.

Not sure if I can join this party or not since I live in SoCal. How about my wife doesn't want to go and I cannot take the kids because she feels it is not safe? By default, I cannot go too. Does this qualify for me to join this pity party? :(
I would say so. Welcome to the party.

Not sure if I can join this party or not since I live in SoCal. How about my wife doesn't want to go and I cannot take the kids because she feels it is not safe? By default, I cannot go too. Does this qualify for me to join this pity party? :(
Of course you can join. If anything, what you're going through is worse.

I thought about this yesterday, but I really hope ALL out of state Make A Wish children and their families are exempt from this rule.

Count me in attendance to the party from Utah. Two canceled trips last year. Fully vaccinated for months now, patiently waiting for some much needed magic. Trip planned for December 2021! Sooner if I can make it happen!

I’m from the south, so I don’t live anywhere close to Disneyland. But I’ll come to your pity party. I absolutely LOVE Disneyland and had APs one year. We are much closer to WDW and enjoy that resort as well. Plus we had trips canceled there last year, and finally got to return last month. But nothing can beat Blue Bayou and the PTN parade. They are my absolute favorite!

Regardless, I keep up with the news about Disneyland. And I hate that it’s been closed for over a year. It’s such a special place and for it to sit empty and unused all this time, almost seems unpatriotic. I feel for all of the regulars, who’ve had to stay away for so long. I’m excited that’s it’s finally opening back up! And I hope all of you that are missing out on the reopening, get to go back very soon.

For those apprehensive about WDW trip planning let me tell ya it's easier than ever right now without the advance FastPass! Go lurk on the WDW side of the boards, I found such good info and we had a blast in Nov. It was much more laidback than I thought it'd be. ✨

I kept clinging onto hope we can do DL this summer but I think I'm officially kicking that thought to the holidays. Planning a trip should be fun- not stressful.

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch any reopening videos- I feel too angsty. 😂

Can I join in? I've been avoiding the boards because I don't want to just feel sad all the time (haha) that I'm not sure when I get to go. It made me feel a little better to use my AP refund on WDW tickets (I went in October and again in March), but I HAVE a few unused tickets in hand, and still can't make reservations. :P

Can I join in? I've been avoiding the boards because I don't want to just feel sad all the time (haha) that I'm not sure when I get to go. It made me feel a little better to use my AP refund on WDW tickets (I went in October and again in March), but I HAVE a few unused tickets in hand, and still can't make reservations. :P

Of course! Today's extra rough with all the reservation news too! I'm going to start avoiding the entire DLR boards (except maybe this thread lol!) and just stay over on the WDW side of DIS. Let's get a pile of chocolate and just eat our sorrows away today haha.

Going to WDW helps I think but I don't know, it's just not the same! First world problems lol!

You know, while I really REALLY want to go back to my happy place there is a bright side to not having to try and get tickets and reservations today. In that we don't have to have the stress right now and let our fellow DISers in Cali go through the process first. Oh who am I kidding, I wish I was online now waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter