Colonial Williamsburg

la79al

DIS Veteran
We are heading to Williamsburg next month to hit Busch Gardens and Water Country. We have done this for a few years now. Its about a 5 hour drive for us so we usually make it a 3 day/2 night trip with all 3 days in parks. This trip we are thinking about 2 park days and throwing Colonial Williamsburg into the mix, for the kids (14, 11, 7). For reference, the kids enjoyed the fort at St. Augustine (more than I did, honestly). So my question is, we are only doing 2 park days and would normally just head home once we were done with the second one. Should we do Colonial Williamsburg? Should we pay for tickets? It would only be one day, most likely a weekend day, and we will be heading home directly from there. We will most likely head back to Williamsburg again next summer but every year the kids get busier and busier and more inclined to roll their eyes.

ETA: while we would probably do some shopping, we have no plans to eat a meal in CW

My kids are 10 and 12, we've been visiting Colonial Williamsburg once or twice a year since the pandemic started. I think it's worth it to have tickets and actually experience a lot of the demonstrations and chat with the tradespeople. The kids are curious about history and love to wear silly hat or play solider.

A one or two day visit can include things like visiting the magazine, the cobbler, the dressmaker, the cooper, the weaver/dye shop, firing muskets, tour the palace, the blacksmith, the brickyard (gross and cool), the carpenter, visit the courthouse, tour the Capitol and wander through gardens. Oh, and a tasty lunch either in the historic area or in town (highly recommend Blue Talon Bistro and Mellow Mushroom).

If you have time, Jamestown Settlement and the Yorktown Battlefield are great spots to visit as well.

We're heading down in July. We usually stay at the Historic Powhatan Resort, but this time we're staying on-site at the Woodlands Hotel and then heading over to Great Wolf for a couple days.

We are heading to Williamsburg next month to hit Busch Gardens and Water Country. We have done this for a few years now. Its about a 5 hour drive for us so we usually make it a 3 day/2 night trip with all 3 days in parks. This trip we are thinking about 2 park days and throwing Colonial Williamsburg into the mix, for the kids (14, 11, 7). For reference, the kids enjoyed the fort at St. Augustine (more than I did, honestly). So my question is, we are only doing 2 park days and would normally just head home once we were done with the second one. Should we do Colonial Williamsburg? Should we pay for tickets? It would only be one day, most likely a weekend day, and we will be heading home directly from there. We will most likely head back to Williamsburg again next summer but every year the kids get busier and busier and more inclined to roll their eyes.

ETA: while we would probably do some shopping, we have no plans to eat a meal in CW
CW is always a great place to visit and is great for all ages. They usually have different events/shows happening every season, so you can check with them to see what is happening during the time of your trip. It usually takes a couple of days to get a full experience of CW, but if you go for one day, it could give you an idea of what to plan for the next time you go there. I call it historical Disney World. :-)

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.or...VSQSGCh09vAmjEAAYASACEgIzTvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

Does anyone ever visit the real Jamestown site? I went there several years ago and really enjoyed the history of the place. The archeological dig is very interesting. I went around 2013 so I'm not sure what they have going on now.

I would add a day or two and also visit Jamestown and Yorktown as well. It would be great to watch Hamilton before going to Yorktown so the kids can get the connection.

This would have been my dream vacation when I was the ages of your kids, even without the Hamilton connection.

I'm in Colonial Williamsburg now. The best is to have tickets. That will enable you to tour buildings, visit the trade shops, and do the Nation Builder talks on the Charleton stage (highly recommend these). You can check the schedule of events at www.colonialwilliamsburg.com. The Nation Builders are added about a week in advance. There's one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Ticket for carriage rides are only available day of...and sell out quickly. Kings Arms Tavern is by reservation only. Chownings is first come, first served. Both are closed Monday and Tuesday.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I can try to answer them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter