College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Question about a role: What are balloon vendors categorized as? Are they technically merchandise? Do CPs ever get the role of balloon vendor and if so..HOW? Thanks!!

The balloon vendors are separate from the usual merch roles. I was told by someone that they are actually third party hired but I'm not positive if that is true, but I know for sure they are not considered a regular merchandise cast member. In short, CPs will not be balloon vendors. All other ODV is possible depending upon location, but not balloon vendors.

Hey y’all, is there anyway to just do summer? I know they say it’s only for alumni but I can’t take a semester off. I’ve been offered a position three times but I keep having to turn it down.

Hey y’all, is there anyway to just do summer? I know they say it’s only for alumni but I can’t take a semester off. I’ve been offered a position three times but I keep having to turn it down.

It unfortunately is only for alumni and they've already had issues opening it up to those who are outside of the general DCP parameters. HOWEVER, you can do the program after you've graduated. You can apply to the DCP now up to a year after your graduation date.

Also, I took a semester off for my first program and just graduated a semester late which was no big deal for me. It might not be the case for others, but it is fairly common for people to graduate later than originally intended due to the DCP.

Last edited:
Hi all! I am new to this forum, and I am starting my DCP on April 22nd (SO SOON AHH). However, during my program, I will need to take a weekend in May off, due to the fact that I have to attend my graduation in Rhode Island. (My school has trimesters, so I received my diploma in February, but have to wait until May to walk). For anyone who has done/currently doing the DCP, do you think it will be frowned upon to ask for this weekend off? I heard that they are usually pretty good when it is school related requirements, but I am not sure. Also, when I get there, how would I go about asking them for this time off? Thank you!!

Hi
Can someone please list the roles that you can choose from? Do you then list your preferences on your application?
Thank you.

Advice/encouragement plz!
My son had his phone interview for the program beginning in January on Thursday. He was offered a position today. Great right! We were totally excited! That is until he found out it was in Quick Service. He has been working for me in my restaurant since he was 13 and the one thing he said was he did not want to go all the way to Florida to work in food. As a family we are super Disney nerds and love everything Disney. He is pretty disappointed and is considering declining. As much as I’d love to encourage him to accept I can’t push him to do something that would make him miserable. Is there a silver lining in the Quick Service program?

Advice/encouragement plz!
My son had his phone interview for the program beginning in January on Thursday. He was offered a position today. Great right! We were totally excited! That is until he found out it was in Quick Service. He has been working for me in my restaurant since he was 13 and the one thing he said was he did not want to go all the way to Florida to work in food. As a family we are super Disney nerds and love everything Disney. He is pretty disappointed and is considering declining. As much as I’d love to encourage him to accept I can’t push him to do something that would make him miserable. Is there a silver lining in the Quick Service program?

I did the program in 2018. I was in Merchandise, but my roommate was in Quick Service so I learned a thing or two about it.

Positive things about Quick Service:
- The basic silver lining is of course, that you still get to be in Disney and you still get your free access to the parks along with your cast member discounts.
- Beyond that, Disney hires a lot of college students in Quick Service, so it is super easy to trade shifts with people/find people to take your shifts. I also believe it is a cross-trained role which means you can pick up shifts in just about any quick service location.
- The locations are always busy, so time goes by quickly.
- You get a lot of guest interaction, so a lot of opportunity to make their vacations awesome.
- You get moved around every few hours, so you won't be doing the same task for your whole shift.

Overall, the program is amazing and I absolutely adored it, as did my roommate. A job is a job, and honestly just being around the Disney magic makes even a crappy job feel a lot better. Most of the awesome memories you make will be outside of work hours anyway. Going to the parks, hanging out with your roommates, going on 2am Steak and Shake runs, you name it.

It's an incredible experience that you will never forget. I seriously recommend doing it.

I did the program in 2018. I was in Merchandise, but my roommate was in Quick Service so I learned a thing or two about it.

Positive things about Quick Service:
- The basic silver lining is of course, that you still get to be in Disney and you still get your free access to the parks along with your cast member discounts.
- Beyond that, Disney hires a lot of college students in Quick Service, so it is super easy to trade shifts with people/find people to take your shifts. I also believe it is a cross-trained role which means you can pick up shifts in just about any quick service location.
- The locations are always busy, so time goes by quickly.
- You get a lot of guest interaction, so a lot of opportunity to make their vacations awesome.
- You get moved around every few hours, so you won't be doing the same task for your whole shift.

Overall, the program is amazing and I absolutely adored it, as did my roommate. A job is a job, and honestly just being around the Disney magic makes even a crappy job feel a lot better. Most of the awesome memories you make will be outside of work hours anyway. Going to the parks, hanging out with your roommates, going on 2am Steak and Shake runs, you name it.

It's an incredible experience that you will never forget. I seriously recommend doing it.
Thank you for your insight! It is much appreciated. I hope he decides to accept he is a huge Disney fan. I think his biggest fear is getting stuck behind the scenes flipping burgers without any guest interaction.

My DD did it right after she graduated.

I did the program in 2018. I was in Merchandise, but my roommate was in Quick Service so I learned a thing or two about it....Overall, the program is amazing and I absolutely adored it, as did my roommate. A job is a job, and honestly just being around the Disney magic makes even a crappy job feel a lot better. Most of the awesome memories you make will be outside of work hours anyway. Going to the parks, hanging out with your roommates, going on 2am Steak and Shake runs, you name it.

ITA! My DS finished in July and he doesn't intend on returning home....he transferred to Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar at DS and he loves it! (he was in Recreation at BC/YC). One of his closest friends that he met there transferred from custodial to Quick Service. She's either at The Marketplace at the BC, Ale & Compass Marketplace at the YC, or Hostess at Beaches'n'Cream, depending upon where she's needed most, so they are definitely not 'stuck' in the same position 24/7.

Hey guys, I got accepted to the college program, and I'm considering it. How hard is it to find a short term (5-7 month, preferably 6 month) apartment lease?Im having some difficulty finding some. I'm bringing a cat, so Disney housing is a no go. I was hoping I. Ould get my own place, but single studios seem pretty expensive, so I assume Ill have to find a roommate.

Hey guys, I got accepted to the college program, and I'm considering it. How hard is it to find a short term (5-7 month, preferably 6 month) apartment lease?Im having some difficulty finding some. I'm bringing a cat, so Disney housing is a no go. I was hoping I. Ould get my own place, but single studios seem pretty expensive, so I assume Ill have to find a roommate.

I would start looking on the Facebook pages if you haven't already, you should have plenty of luck there. If you search "Disney World Cast Member Apartment/Room Finder" and "DCP Spring/Spring Advantage 2020," there are tons of CMs looking to sublet rooms and CPs who are trying to start searching for off-site housing for this term.

Hey guys, I got accepted to the college program, and I'm considering it. How hard is it to find a short term (5-7 month, preferably 6 month) apartment lease?Im having some difficulty finding some. I'm bringing a cat, so Disney housing is a no go. I was hoping I. could get my own place, but single studios seem pretty expensive, so I assume Ill have to find a roommate.
....my DS recently completed DCP, and is now renting a place. He got his through a WDW-specific Facebook page [I'm guessing for CMs]. The person renting out the bedrooms is a CM also, and rents out rooms to CMs only. His house is fully furnished and all utilities are included. That might be a good starting point for you....

So I've done a little poking around about going PT/FT after the college program- but I haven't seen exactly how to do it, or if it's a for-sure thing (I'm sure nothing is for-sure!) Is it something that's discouraged? Encouraged? Do you stand a pretty good chance at landing a PT/FT at the parks after you finish your DCP if you do a good job?

So I've done a little poking around about going PT/FT after the college program- but I haven't seen exactly how to do it, or if it's a for-sure thing (I'm sure nothing is for-sure!) Is it something that's discouraged? Encouraged? Do you stand a pretty good chance at landing a PT/FT at the parks after you finish your DCP if you do a good job?

I know a lot-- I mean a LOT!-- of people who have done this! I would say most of my closest personal friends tried to transfer to PT/FT after their program! Like you said, nothing is for sure, but sooooo many people do this at the end of their DCP season! If you'd like to go PT/FT after your program, it's technically considered a "transfer," so in order to qualify for it, you would have to be within transfer guidelines. Your leaders will explain more about that if you ask them. The process is super easy and I don't know a single person from my first program who fell within the transfer guidelines and got denied! Good luck!

I know a lot-- I mean a LOT!-- of people who have done this! I would say most of my closest personal friends tried to transfer to PT/FT after their program! Like you said, nothing is for sure, but sooooo many people do this at the end of their DCP season! If you'd like to go PT/FT after your program, it's technically considered a "transfer," so in order to qualify for it, you would have to be within transfer guidelines. Your leaders will explain more about that if you ask them. The process is super easy and I don't know a single person from my first program who fell within the transfer guidelines and got denied! Good luck!
....ITA. My DS transferred after his DCP stint was over. He preferred to get FT but didn't [for now anyway], so he is supplementing his income with PT at Miller's Ale House. [he currently also is a server at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at DS...]

....My DS transferred after his DCP stint was over....[he currently also is a server at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at DS...]
...he went to this:

enhance

....from THIS:

enhance

I am going to be a third time applicant come Monday, and I have fixed my resume this time, because it said "I" 21 times, so it is much better now. However, I'm wondering if the fact that I still live at home is a factor as well. I cannot afford to move out at the moment, so I don't know what else to do about it. I want this so badly, but someone said it might be because I haven't lived independently yet.

I am going to be a third time applicant come Monday, and I have fixed my resume this time, because it said "I" 21 times, so it is much better now. However, I'm wondering if the fact that I still live at home is a factor as well. I cannot afford to move out at the moment, so I don't know what else to do about it. I want this so badly, but someone said it might be because I haven't lived independently yet.
...my son was still living at home when he applied (and he was 24 at the time), so I don't think it makes a difference....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!